Draft Minutes of the January 2, 2002 Meeting
January 2, 2002
The Village Board of Trustees met in regular session on January 2nd, 2002, in the Farley Room of Municipal Building.
Members Present: Mayor Keith Waldrop, Sherry Catt, Myrl Littlejohn, Carole Jones, Jack Gallion, Bonnie Finn, Bill Hatch, Jan Miller and Ladora Boyd.
Others Present: Chief Van Praag, Gary Lanter, Lisa Ulrey (Robinson Daily News), Sheree Kirby (Executive Director of E-Commerce), Dr. John Arabatgis (Lincoln Trial College), Tim Watson (Lawrence Correctional Center), Glen Donaldson (Robinson Correctional Center), Sgt. Larry Fear, Frank Weber (Village Attorney) and Joe Randolph. For Executive Session: Patrol Officer Jean Ann Randolph.
1. The meeting was called to order at 7:00 PM by Mayor Waldrop.
2. The minutes of December 5th were approved with a motion by Carole and a second by Sherry. All ayes, motion carried.
3. There were no additions or deletions to the agenda this month.
4. There were no delinquent water bill customers at the meeting this month.
5. Sheree Kirby -- Executive Director of E - Commerce -- introduced herself to the board of Trustees. She handed out an information sheet to explain some of the benefits of E - Commerce. She also invited anyone to come over to her office and she would give them a walk thru tour. She thank the board for let her come and speak to them.
6. Dr. John Arabatgis came before the Board to discuss the Governor's decision to eliminate college educational programs within the state's correctional centers. Dr. Arabatgis introduced the two gentlemen that he had come with him. They were Mr. Tim Watson with the educational program at Lawrence Correctional Center and Mr. Glen Donaldson with the educational program at Robinson Correctional Center. Dr. Arabatgis gave the board and audience a hand out that includes a survey, legislative contacts and sample correspondence. Dr. Arabatgis stated that he, Mr. Watson and Mr. Donaldson had received some positive feedback from Legislative members that they had corresponded with.
7. Jack made a motion to pass resolution for reinstatement of higher education programs for correctional centers, with a second by Sherry. All ayes, motion carried. (Resolution #2002-1)
8. Motion by Sherry, with a second by Carole to go into executive session at 7:43 pm to discuss personnel matter. All ayes, motion carried.
9. Motion by Jack, with a second by Sherry to come out of executive session at 9:21 pm. All ayes, motion carried.
10. Jack made a motion to remove a written reprimand from Officer Randolph's permanent record, with a second by Myrl. Ayes: Bill, Bonnie, Jack, Myrl and Sherry. Nays: Carole. Motion carried.
11. Keith stated that he will be out of town for 2 weeks, possibly leaving on January 12th. Keith also stated that he had received a letter from Mediacom and had made copy for the Trustees to see. The letter stated that the FCC confirmed that Mediacom could pass through to subscribers and itemize the franchise fees paid on non-subscriber revenue such as advertising revenue or home shopping commissions. The letter also stated the Mediacom intends to start passing through such payments to their customers within the next 30 to 60 days. Keith said that he called to find out the cost that Mediacom was going to charge the customers here in Oblong and was told that is would be around $0.02. Keith stated that if the village would forego franchise fees on non-subscribers revenue, the village would probably loose $40 to $50 a year in revenue from Mediacom. Motion by Myrl, with a second by Jack to forego the franchise fees on non-scriber revenue. All ayes, motion carried. Keith brought to the trustees attention that while Connor & Connor were survey the new water tower lot that the abstract shows road easement that is no longer applicable. The Village Attorney was give the go ahead to try and have the easement taken out of the abstract.
12. The treasurer's report was given by Jan.
13. Motion by Bonnie, with a second by Sherry, to pay the bills that were on the voucher and any utility bills or any bill that will incur a late charge. All ayes, motion carried.
14. Reports of Committees:
A. Police: Carole stated that everyone had a copy of the monthly police report. The chief hopes to attend a luncheon meeting in Springfield on January 9th. Greg Coker will be attending Part-Time Police Academy on January 5th and 26th in Mattoon.
B. Buildings and Park: Sherry asked Gary if the fountains shut off out at the park. Gary stated that he was going to ask to shut off the fountains. So, Gary will be shutting the fountains of January 3rd.
C. Sidewalks and Lights: No Report.
D. Street and Alley: No Report.
E. Water and Sewer: Bonnie stated that Dale and her will be attending a breakfast on the 17th of January that is being sponsored by JULIE, Inc. in Effingham. Gary stated that he and the guys will possibly be attending a breakfast that JULIE, Inc. is sponsoring at Olney the lst part of February. Gary invited the Mayor to go with them in February.
F. Finance: No Report.
15. A motion to adjourn at 9:40 pm was made by Jack, with a second by Bill. All ayes, motion carried.
Ladora Boyd, Clerk