Minutes of the November 7, 2001 Meeting
November 7, 2001
The Village Board of Trustees met in regular session on November 7th, 2001, in the Farley Room of Municipal Building.
Members Present: Mayor Keith Waldrop, Sherry Catt, Myrl Littlejohn, Carole Jones, Jack Gallion, Bonnie Finn, Bill Hatch, Jan Miller and Ladora Boyd.
Others Present: Chief Van Praag, Gary Lanter, Dale Davis, Byron Sanders, Linda Craven (Oblong Gem), Lisa Ulrey (Robinson Daily News), Frank Weber (Village Attorney), Elzora Sanders, Shannon Woodard (Connor & Connor, Inc.), Dana Harrison, Herb Jones (Oblong Chamber of Commerce), Michele Lewis and Joe Randolph.
1. The meeting was called to order at 7:00 PM by Mayor Waldrop.
2. The minutes of October 3rd were approved with a motion by Bonnie and a second by Carole. All ayes, motion carried.
3. There was a request by Mr. Randolph to be added to the agenda this month. The Mayor advised Mr. Randolph that he need to take his complaint to the appropriate committee first. An objection was made by Myrl to let Mr. Randolph be added to the agenda. The matter was referred to the Village Attorney, Frank Weber. Mr. Weber stated that if the complaint dealt with a Village employee that Mr. Randolph should first go to the appropriate committee.
4. There were two delinquent water bill customers at the meeting this month.
Michele Lewis requested that she be granted an extension on her water bill of $86.83 until Friday, November 16th. It was granted by the Village Board of Trustees.
Dana Harrison requested that she be granted an extension on her water bill of $49.58 until Wednesday, November 21st. It was granted by the Village Board of Trustees.
5. Shannon Woodard (Connor & Connor, Inc.) brought Pay Estimate 5 to the board for approval to be paid from the Water Extension checking account after USDA Rural Development, Vicky Middleton gives her approval. The invoice total is $20, 717.64 ($18, 214.80 to Wayne Lapington Excavation and $2,502.84 to Connor & Connor, Inc.). Motion by Bonnie, with a second by Jack to pay the invoice after Vicky Middleton approves it. All ayes, motion carried.
Motion by Jack, with a second by Bill, to approve an amendment to the Engineering Service Agreement date October 6th, 1999. All ayes, motion carried. The amendment covers some provision that if Connor & Connor, Inc. needs to subcontract out some design work on the new water tower that they will use minor (small) business, this is due to the amount of money involved.
Motion by Carole, with a second by Sherry to adopt Resolution #01-8 "Regarding Flood Insurance". All ayes, motion carried.
Connor & Connor, Inc. received a letter from Taylor Law Offices from Effingham that release the Village from using their service for any legality concerning the new water tower. (See attached letter.)
6. Motion by Sherry, with a second by Myrl to adopt Ordinance #01-436 "Authorizing the Village of Oblong to borrow funds from the Public Water Supply Loan Program". All ayes, motion carried.
7. Mrs. Sanders came before the board to ask why, all of a sudden, the lot that she owns on Florida Street is no longer able to have a mobile home on it. The Mayor stated that he and Gary talk about this today and Gary went and remeasured the lot. The Mayor stated that Mrs. Sanders can have a mobile home placed on the lot, but the mobile home can not be any bigger than a 14' x 70' and must be at least a 1985 model.
8. Motion by Carole, with a second by Sherry to renew a contract with Anewtrufax for 1 year at a cost of $313.50. All ayes, motion carried.
9. Motion by Bonnie, with a second by Bill to adopt the Revised Employees' Guidelines. All ayes, motion carried.
10. Motion by Jack, with a second by Sherry to adopt Ordinance #01-436 "Manufactured Homes". All ayes, motion carried.
11. Herb Jones came before the Board with 2 options on a web page for the Village. (See Attached Options.) Motion by Sherry, with a second by Bill to go with Option #2 in which the Village owns it own web page. Ayes: Bill, Bonnie, Carole & Sherry. Nays: Jack & Myrl. Motion carried.
12. Keith stated that he had received a letter from the Ministerial Association asking that the Board would change the meeting day. Motion by Bonnie, with a second by Jack to leave the Board Meeting on the 1st Wednesday of each month. All ayes, motion carried.
13. Motion by Jack, with a second by Bill to allow the VFW sell poppies on November 10th from 9 am to 2 pm at the 4-way stop. All ayes, motion carried.
14. Keith stated that the Municipal Building roof has been completed. Keith also stated that the insurance amount had raised considerable from last year's amount. Keith said that the oilfield museum should start work out at the site next week.
15. The treasurer's report was given by Jan.
16. Motion by Carole, with a second by Bill, to pay the bills that were on the voucher and any utility bills or any bill that will incur a late charge. All ayes, motion carried.
17. Reports of Committees:
A. Police: Carole stated that everyone had a copy of the monthly police report. There will be an all officers training session on November 8th from 6-10 pm and November 12th from 6-9 pm on CPR. There will be an all officers training session on November 16th from 9 am to 3 pm on Illinois Vehicle Code at Robinson Community Center. The chief will be attending a meeting in Springfield on November 14th. On November 27th, there is an Emergency Management Meeting in Effingham. Greg V. and Gary are planning to attend.
B. Buildings and Park: Sherry asked that the paper would please include in their story that when reserving the municipal building there will need to be a deposit made at that time. There was some discuss about extending Paula's work schedule. Motion by Jack, with a second by Bonnie to continue the employment of Paula Myers thru the winter to take care of the park. All ayes, motion carried. So far, the village has received $3,200 in donation for playground equipment out at the park. Sherry is expecting to receive some more donations. Motion by Sherry, with a second by Bonnie to go ahead and order the new playground equipment. All ayes, motion carried.
C. Sidewalks and Lights: Jack stated that Gary and the guys had replaced two sections of sidewalk. One was on South Taylor Street and the other was on South Garfield Street. It was stated that a woman had tripped and fell before the replacement of the sidewalk on South Garfield was done.
D. Street and Alley: It was stated that there has been some trouble with parking near the Nutrition Center on North Washington Street. Keith stated that he had talked with Shirley Dhom to rectify the situation.
E. Water and Sewer: On December 13th, Gary and Travis will be attending a training session at Wabash Valley College on Sewer operation and maintenance. Bonnie stated that Gary would like permission to purchase a new electronic flow meter for out at the sewer lagoon for around $3,000.00. This is a must for EPA.
F. Finance: Bill open the bids on 2 CD's coming due this month. The bids are as follows:
First Crawford State Bank General Repo 1.60% 1 year
MFT Repo 1.51% 1 year
Old National Bank of Oblong General Repo 1.75% 1 year
MFT Repo 1.75% 1 year
Motion by Bill, with a second by Carole to accept Old National Bank's offer for the 2 CD's. All ayes, motion carried.
18. Gary asked to be allowed to advertise the sale of 1967 Ford Pick up. The Bids will need to submitted by the next board meeting. Motion by Carole, with a second by Sherry for Gary to go ahead and advertise the truck is for sale. All ayes, motion carried.
19. A motion to adjourn at 8:50 pm was made by Bill, with a second by Sherry. All ayes, motion carried.
Ladora Boyd, Clerk