November 6, 2002
The Village Board of Trustees met in regular session on November 6th, 2002, in the Farley Room of the Municipal Building.
Members Present: Mayor Keith Waldrop, Trustee Sherry Catt, Trustee Carole Jones, Trustee Jack Gallion, Trustee Bonnie Finn, Trustee Bill Hatch, Treasurer Jan Miller and Village Clerk Ladora Boyd.
Absent: Trustee Myrl Littlejohn.
Others Present: Public Works Superintendent Gary Lanter, Linda Cravens (Oblong Gem), Police Chief Chad Pusey, Mike Buhler (Robinson Daily News), Custodian Byron Sanders, Sgt. Larry Fear and Shannon Woodard (Connor & Connor, Inc.).
1. The meeting was called to order at 7:00 PM by Mayor Waldrop.
2. The Regular Meeting minutes of October 2nd were approved with a motion by Bonnie and a second by Sherry. 5 ayes, motion carried.
3. There were no additions to the agenda this month.
4. There were no delinquent water bill customers at the meeting this month.
5. Shannon Woodard, of Connor & Connor, Inc., came before the board to give an update on the water tower project. Shannon asked that the board pass a resolution authorizing a representative to sign loan documents. Motion by Bonnie, with a second by Bill, to adopt Resolution #02-8 "Authorizing a representative to sign loan documents. 5 ayes, motion carried.
Shannon handed out an estimate of what it will possibly cost the Village to relocate some of the water main along Main Street (Illinois Route 33). Shannon stated that IDOT said that it looks like they will start mid to late summer of 2003. Shannon also stated that some of the work can be going on while IDOT is during their's. (See attached Estimate)
6. Motion by Carole, with a second by Jack, to forget the contract with TowerLink America, LLC. 5 ayes, motion carried.
7. Motion by Jack, with a second by Sherry, to let the VFW sell poppies at the 4-way stop on November 9th, from 9 am to 2 pm. 5 ayes, motion carried.
8. Motion by Bill, with a second by Carole, to adopt Resolution #02-7 "Regarding the release of closed session minutes". 5 ayes, motion carried.
9. Under Mayor's Comments, Keith stated that this is the month that the Village's contract with Anewtrufax is due. Keith stated that the Village has the equipment so that Byron can spray around the outside of the Municipal Building and if Byron see that the Village needs to have spraying done on the inside, then he can called an exterminator. Motion by Jack, with a second by Bonnie, to not renew the contract with Anewtrufax. 5 ayes, motion carried. Keith stated that Gary had done Rick White's 3-month evaluation. Gary stated that if any of the Trustees wanted to see the evaluation to let him know. Keith asked the trustees if they wanted to have an Employee and Trustee Christmas Party. The Trustees agreed that it would be nice to have a Christmas Party with the employees. The date is December 18th at 6 pm. Keith appointed Bonnie (Chairperson), Carole and Sherry as the committee to organize the party.
10. The treasurer's report was given by Jan.
11. Motion by Jack, with a second by Bill, to pay the bills that were on the voucher and any utility bills or any bills that will incur a late charge. All ayes, motion carried.
12. Reports of Committees:
A. Police: Carole stated that everyone had a copy of the monthly police report. There was some discussion about the purchasing of a new police squad car. Motion by Jack, with a second by Bill, to have Chief Pusey put an ad in the Oblong Gem for bids on a new squad car and that on November 21st Chief Pusey will look at all the bids and go with the lowest bid. 5 ayes, motion carried. The ad is to state the specification desired and that the Village reserves the right to accept or reject any and all bids. The ad is to run in Oblong Gem on November 13th and 20th. Chief Pusey stated that IDOT was having a Roadside Safety Check on November 29th that involves the Police Department.
B. Buildings and Park: Sherry asked Gary if he had any problems with the campers out at the Park. Gary stated that he had no problems with the campers. Gary also stated that he thought October was one of best months of camping fee revenue. The board agreed to allow Byron to purchase a 7' Christmas Tree for the Activity Center. Bonnie asked for permission to use the Farley Room on the 1st Friday of November, December, March and April for the Saddle Club. The board agreed to that. Bonnie stated that the community service are coming over to put up the Christmas lights out at the Park on Friday, November 8th and Saturday, November 9th, unless it is raining.
C. Sidewalks and Lights: Jack stated that there was some sidewalk repair done last month at the corner of North Wilson and West Ohio streets. Kenneth Russell was have some concrete run for his drive and had asked Gary if it would be all right to tear out the sidewalk and have it replaced. Gary said that would be fine but to have the rest of the sidewalk done to the corner and the Village would reimburse Mr. Russell.
D. Street and Alley: Jack stated that Gary would like to put a whistle in where there is a deep ditch now in 700 block of South Garfield. The board agreed.
E. Water and Sewer: Bonnie stated that Gary would like permission for he and Travis to attend a water treatment training session sponsor by Illinois Rural Water Association on Tuesday, November 26th. The Board granted permission. Bonnie also asked that Gary, Travis, Jason and Rick be allowed to attend a JULIE breakfast meeting in Olney on Thursday, January 9th and Dale be allowed to attend a JULIE breakfast meeting in Effingham on Wednesday, January 15th. The Board granted permission. Gary stated that the water department has had 4 major water leaks.
F. Finance: Bill asked Jan when she would be going to her institute. Jan stated that she would be going on November 19th, 20th and 21st to Champaign for Treasurer's Institute.
13. Bonnie asked about the letter that Frank Weber fax to the clerk on the litigation between the Village and Jean Ann Randolph. Keith stated that Frank Weber has 21 days to respond.
14. A motion to adjourn at 8:33 pm was made by Carole, with a second by Jack. 5 ayes, motion carried.
Ladora Boyd, Clerk