Council Minutes and Agenda's
Review the minutes
of previous Village of Oblong Council meetings
by selecting the meeting date from the table below.
January 8, 2003
The Village Board of Trustees met in regular session on January 8th, 2003, in the Farley Room of the Municipal Building.
Members Present: Mayor Keith Waldrop, Clerk Ladora Boyd, Trustee Bill Hatch, Trustee Bonnie Finn, Trustee Jack Gallion, Trustee Carole Jones, Trustee Myrl Littlejohn, Trustee Sherry Catt and Treasurer Jan Miller.
Others Present: Public Works Superintendent Gary Lanter, Police Chief Chad Pusey, Tom Compton (Robinson Daily News), Linda Cravens (Oblong Gem), Custodian Byron Sanders, Dennis New and Ron Tuel.
1. The meeting was called to order at 7:00 PM by Mayor Waldrop.
2. The Regular Meeting minutes of December 4th were approved with a motion by Jack and a second by Bill. All ayes, motion carried.
3. There were no additions or deletions to the agenda this month.
4. There was one delinquent water bill customers at the meeting this month. Ron Tuel came before the board to ask for a two week extension. He stated that he would pay his water bill on January 23rd. The Board agreed to the extension.
5. Under Mayor's Comments, Keith stated that he and Tim Attaway talked to a factory outlet representative about having a factory outlet store in Oblong. The representative never called back. Keith stated that he had received a letter from Mediacom stating that they will be raising the rate on expanded channels by $3.95, effective February 1st. There was some discussion about this topic.
6. Conservation Day will be May 7th, from 8 am to 3 pm. The Board agreed to the use of the Oblong Park for Conservation Day.
7. The mayor stated that the board had a copy of a memo from Shannon Woodard (Connor & Connor, Inc.) on the status of funds for the new water tower. The mayor asked the Police Chief about the divers and dogs at the Lake. The chief stated that the divers, dogs and their handlers were all volunteer.
8. The treasurer's report was given by Jan. Keith stated that possible the Village will be able to transfer $5,000 from water and sewer checking to their respective repos.
9. Motion by Sherry, with a second by Bill, to pay the bills that were on the voucher and any utility bills or any bills that will incur a late charge. All ayes, motion carried.
10. Reports of Committees:
A. Police: Carole stated that everyone had a copy of the monthly police report and an annual report for 2002. Carole stated that the Police Committee had a meeting on Monday, January 6th. Everyone had a copy of the minutes (See Attached). The Chief will be going to school from January 13th to the 17th, 2003, in Marion, Illinois, for field training school that is mandatory. On January 22nd, 2003, the Police Department will be hosting a Drug Identification for street officers from 6 pm to 9 pm at the Municipal building. Carole stated that the new squad car will be here in a couple of weeks. Carole stated that they just found out last night that the part-time officer from Indiana is no longer available due to the fact that he is moving back to California. The part-time officer from Jasper County is only available during the middle of the week. Carole stated that the Village may need to hire 3 or 4 part-time officers so as not to have a lot of overtime for Chief Pusey and Officer Coker. Carole stated that the meeting on February 14th that the Chief and Officer Coker were going to attend has been cancelled due to lack of interest.
B. Buildings and Park: Sherry had nothing to report. Keith stated that all the decoration were down and put away at the Park. Bonnie stated that all the Christmas lights are down and put away out at the Park.
C. Sidewalks and Lights: No report.
D. Street and Alley: Jack stated that Dick Seamon had contacted him about making the corner of East Oklahoma and South Garfield a 4-way stop. The Chief stated that he had done some surveillance and saw no problem. He stated that he see no reason for making the corner a 4-way stop. Jack stated that there are some yield and stop signs needing to be replaced due to fading. The chief stated that there is some problems about the parking near the nutrition center.
E. Water and Sewer: Bonnie stated that there would be a meeting with Shannon Woodard of Connor & Connor, Inc. either Monday, January 13th or Tuesday, January 14th at 7:30 am to discuss water tower. Bonnie stated that Gary would like for permission for him and Travis to attend Annual Technical Conference on February 25th and 27th (half day session on both days), in Effingham for continuing education credits for certification or recertification. The Board granted permission.
F. Finance: Bill asked Jan if there was anything else that need to be discussed. Jan said there was not anything more.
11. Motion by Sherry, with a second by Jack, to go into executive session to discuss personnel at 7:30 pm. All ayes, motion carried.
12. Motion by Jack, with a second by Bill, to come out of executive session at 7:40 pm. All ayes, motion carried.
13. Motion by Jack, with a second by Bill, to give Rick White a $1/hour raise effective February 1st and that he will not receive another raise until May, 2004. All ayes, motion carried.
14. A motion to adjourn at 7:44 pm was made by Jack, with a second by Bill. All ayes, motion carried.
Ladora Boyd, Clerk