Council Minutes and Agenda's
October 1, 2003
The Village Board of Trustees met in regular session on October 1st, 2003, in the Farley Room of the Municipal Building.
Members Present: Trustee Debi Wilson (Mayor Pro-Tem), Clerk Ladora Boyd, Trustee Bill Hatch, Trustee Bonnie Finn, Trustee Jack Gallion, Trustee Carole Jones, Trustee Sherry Catt and Treasurer Jan Miller.
Absent: Mayor Keith Waldrop.
Others Present: Public Works Superintendent Gary Lanter, Police Chief Chad Pusey, Tom Compton (Daily News), Gerald Adams, Charlotte Cannon (Oblong Gem), Shannon Woodard, Ron Finn, Patrol Officer Kristin Avery, Officer Randy Pine, Sgt. Larry Fear, Sara (Hill) Brotherton, Bo Brotherton, Jimette Ross and Rex Finn.
1. The meeting was called to order at 7:00 pm by Mayor Pro-Tem Wilson.
2. The Regular Meeting minutes of September 3rd and Special Board Meeting minutes of September 24th were approved with a motion by Carole and a second by Sherry. 5 ayes, motion carried.
3. There was one addition to the agenda this month. Mr. Adams asked to be added to the agenda.
4. There was one delinquent water bill customer at the meeting this month. Jimette Ross asked for an extension on her water bill until October 6th. The extension was granted by the board.
5. Shannon came before the Board to give an update on the water tower project. Shannon brought bills for the Water Tower Project. The pay out is as follows: Caldwell Tanks, Inc. ($ 78,435.00), David L. Krick ($ 33,522.77) and Connor & Connor, Inc. ($ 5,627.12). Motion by Bonnie, with a second by Jack, to pay the bills on the Water Tower Project on approval from the Illinois EPA. 5 ayes, motion carried. There was some questions on the time table of the project.
6. Motion by Carole, with a second by Jack, to set Trick or Treat Night for Thursday, October 30th from 6 pm to 8 pm and only go to house with porch lights on
7. Mr. Adams stated that the pigs have already been moved out. Mr. Adams came before the board to ask for an extension on moving his cows out of the Village limits of two weeks with the stipulation that this will be the last extension. Motion by Bill, with a second by Sherry, to grant an extension until October 15th. Ayes: Bill, Sherry, Debi. Abstain: Bonnie, Jack. Nays: Carole. Motion carried.
8. Under Mayor's Comments: a.) Debi stated that two of the abandoned buildings in the Village have been torn down and the third building has now been turned over to the Oblong Fire Department. There has been a question asked about an abandon building next to Neeley's station. Chad stated that he will check with John Neeley about the building.
b.) Debi stated that Ladora will be going to Clerk Academy October 13-17.
c.) Debi stated that the Fall Clean Up will be October 3rd. The board felt that the date was to soon and asked that it be rescheduled for a later date. Ladora will contact JAMAX in the morning and get a new date for the Clean Up. There was some discussion about the service problem with Jamax.
d.) Debi stated that there was a problem with the employee health insurance. The quote was a different plan than what the board had looked at before. The increase was $431.08. This bid is still below the other quotes. The change will be effective November 1st. Motion by Bill, with a second by Sherry, to stay with Starmark as the employee's group health insurance. 5 ayes, motion carried.
9. The treasurer's report was given by Jan. Jan stated that there will be 3 pays this month, so it does not look like there will be any transfers from checking to the repos this month.
10. Motion by Sherry, with a second by Jack, to pay the bills that were on the voucher and any utility bills, bills that will incur a late charge or reimbursements to employees. 5 ayes, motion carried.
11. Reports of Committees:
A. Police: Carole said that everyone had a copy of the monthly police report. Carole stated that officers Avery and Pine graduated from the police academy on September 18th. Debi congratulated them. Carole stated that there was another drug bust Tuesday, September 30th, here in town. October 16th, there will be a training session on Tactile Handgun scenario shoot in Olney, Chad, Kristin and Randy will be attending. October 29th, there will be a training session on Low Lite conditions shoot in Newton, Chad, Kristin, Randy and Larry will be attending. Chad stated that the trustees all had a copy of Elise Nave's Resignation Letter attached to there monthly police report.
B. Buildings and Park: No Report.
C. Sidewalks and Lights: Jack stated that Gary stated he has got a price on replacing the sidewalk out in front of the Masonic Lodge. Gary stated that at last month's meeting he felt that he and the guys could fix the problem after the meeting Gary found out that the Masonic Lodge wanted a ramp for wheelchair accessibility like what is in front of Doctor Slaughter's Office. Gary contacted Consolidated Concrete Construction Company which gave him a price of $995.00. Motion by Jack, with a second by Sherry, to go ahead and have Consolidated Concrete Construction Co. replace the sidewalk in front of the Masonic Lodge for $995.00. 5 ayes, motion carried.
D. Street and Alley: The committee met on September 17th, and decided that painting crosswalks at the corner of South Adams and West Missouri streets and put up School Signs.
E. Water and Sewer: Bill asked Gary if there was anything besides what Gary had handed Bill. Gary stated nothing other than everything south of town seemed to be on schedule (emergency connection with Hardinville). Gary stated that he had not heard very many complaints from the people, whose yard is having to be dug up. Bill stated that Gary had received a notice of a training session that Gary and Travis would like to go to. The training session will be held in Mattoon on October 16th. Gary and Travis would get credit, which would go towards their recertification. The session is sponsored by 15 County Water Supply Operators Association. Motion by Bill, with a second by Bonnie, to granted the request. Bill brought up the matter about the Public Works Office being closed for breaks and lunch. There have been some complaints about not being able to pay the water bill due to the office being closed for 15 minute breaks and a hour lunch. There was some discussion. Motion by Sherry, with a second by Carole, to have Jan or Ladora cover the office during the breaks and lunch. Ayes: Bill, Carole, Sherry. Nays: Bonnie, Jack. Motion carried.
F. Finance: No Report.
12. Motion by Jack, with a second by Sherry, to accept Elise Nave's letter of resignation. 5 ayes, motion carried.
13. Debi asked if there was any more village business to be discussed. There was none mentioned.
14. Motion by Jack, with a second by Carole, to adjourn at 7:40 pm. 5 ayes, motion carried.
Ladora Boyd, Clerk