Village of Oblong
August 4, 2004
The Village Board of Trustees met in regular session on August 4th, 2004, in the Farley Room of the Municipal Building.
Members Present: Mayor Keith Waldrop, Clerk Ladora Boyd, Trustee Bill Hatch, Trustee Bonnie Finn, Trustee Jack Gallion, Trustee Sherry Catt, Trustee Debi Wilson and Treasurer Jan Miller.
Others Present: Public Works Superintendent Gary Lanter, Chief Chad Pusey, Public Works Office Manager Dale Davis, Frank Weber (Village Attorney), Ronnie Finn, Lori Jenkins, Tom Compton (Daily News), Brenda L. Gillaspie, Monte C. Gillaspie, Patrol Officer Kristin Avery, Phoebe Gill, Charlotte Cannon (Oblong Gem), Cyndi Reynolds, Carole Jones, Randy Fancil, Nikki Fancil, Danielle Davis, Kenny Davis, Billy Jo Boyd, Tina Dart, Rob Hawkins, Debra Hawkins, Angela Woods, Joseph Covey, Jennifer Covey, Holly Gaddis, Rhonda Clark (Kids Kingdom Daycare), Teresa Smith, Sara Pepmeier, Pat Carpenter and Rick Hamilton.
1. The meeting was called to order at 7:02 pm by Mayor Waldrop.
2. The Mayor stated that he would like to nominate Monte Gillaspie to fill the vacancy on the Board. Bill stated that this item was not on the agenda and that he objected. Frank stated the appointment of someone should be on the agenda.
3. The Regular Board Meeting minutes of July 7th and Special Board Meeting minutes of July 19th were approved with a motion by Sherry and a second by Jack. All ayes, motion carried.
4. There were no additions or deletions to the agenda this month.
5. There was one water bill customer at the meeting this month. Mrs. Reynolds stated that she could pay her water bill on August 16th. The Board granted her request.
6. Rhonda Clark stated that she had sent all the board members a copy of a letter she had received from DCFS. In the letter, it states that while the water tower is being dismantled and until it is completely on the ground Rhonda will have to have the daycare shutdown. Bill asked Rhonda how many children she had enrolled at the present and how many she will have enrolled after school starts. Rhonda stated that she presently has 80 student and will have 93 after school starts. Rhonda handed the Board two sheets of signatures from concerned parents. Rhonda read an e-mail that she had received from a parent. Rhonda had her insurance agent, Rick Hamilton, talk to the Board about her insurance and a clause in the policy. Joseph Covey stated that where he works, E.R. Moore has a point system for when you are absent and if you get enough points they could fire the employee. Danielle Davis stated that where she works, Hershey has the same policy. Keith stated that later in the meeting the Board will be going into executive session to discuss this issue.
7. The mobile home permit for Dave Hasty was granted by the board. Sherry asked if there was a time limit on putting under penning on the mobile home. The Mayor stated that he did not think there is time limit stated in the code book.
8. Motion by Bonnie, with a second by Jack, to adopt Resolution #04-5 AHomecoming Parade Permit@. All ayes, motion carried.
9. Motion by Jack, with a second by Debi, to adopt Resolution #04-6 AHalloween Parade Permit@. All ayes, motion carried.
10. Motion by Sherry, with a second by Debi, to adopt Resolution #04-7 AResolution for Maintenance of Streets and Highways by Municipality Under the Illinois Highway Code@ (South Adams Street Project). All ayes, motion carried.
11. Under Mayor's Comments: a.) Keith stated that Police Sergeant Larry Fear has retired as of July 22nd.
b.) Keith stated that Marathon is furnishing the pole for the Warning System and doing the electric. The Speaker for the Warning System will be shipped to Marathon. Jack asked how much this was costing the village. Keith stated that so far the Village has paid $13,000. The township is going to pay $5,000 towards the warning system.
c.) Keith stated that Frank had contacted him about Hayes Street here in town. Frank was contacted by another attorney asking whether Hayes Street is a private drive or a street. Keith stated that he had asked Gary about this issue and that Hayes Street is a private drive. The reason it was given the name of Hayes Street was due to 911.
12. The treasurer's report was given by Jan. Jan made a copy of all the bids on the Repos for each board member.
Motion by Bill, with a second by Sherry, to accept the bid from Trust Bank in Olney at 2.51%. Ayes: Bill, Sherry. Nays: Bonnie, Jack, Debi. Motion was defeated.
Motion by Jack, with a second by Debi, to accept the bid from 1st National Bank in Olney at 2.30%. Ayes: Bonnie, Jack, Debi. Nays: Bill, Sherry. Motion carried.
13. Motion by Bonnie, with a second by Bill, to pay the bills that were on the warranty list and any utility bills, bills that will incur a late charge or reimbursements to employees. All ayes, motion carried.
14. Motion by Bonnie, with a second by Jack, to go into executive session at 7:35 pm to discuss probable litigation.
15. Motion by Debi, with a second by Sherry, to come out of executive session at 8:20 pm.
16. Motion by Jack, with a second by Debi, to authorize a change order on the contract to take down the water tower on the weekend and to pay the contractor for the additional cost associated with the change order. All ayes, motion carried.
17. Reports of Committees:
A. Police: Jack stated that everyone had a copy of the monthly police report. The police have several upcoming training sessions this month. On August 4th & 5th, the officers have range training. On August 27th, they have a training session on Crime Scene Investigations. Jack stated that the Chief would like to hire a part-time officer. Dan Cheadle, who is already certified, would like to work for the Village. Motion by Jack, with a second by Debi, to hire Mr. Cheadle as the Village=s new part-time officer. All ayes, motion carried. On August 16th, the Chief has been asked to speak at the Leadership 2004 (for Grades 6th, 7th and 8th) out at LTC.
B. Buildings and Park: Keith stated that he had received only one bid so far on the basketball court. Keith and Gary had talked to Maxwell. Maxwell is going to submit a bid. The board felt that since the basketball court was budgeted for there was no need to wait until next month=s Board Meeting just to go ahead and get the court started.
C. Sidewalks and Lights: No Report.
D. Street and Alley: No Report.
E. Water and Sewer: Debi stated that the committee had a meeting on July 19th. (See attached minutes) All the trustees had a copy of the minutes. IRWA will be getting in touch with us to see when they can come. Gary asked permission for him and Travis to go to training at Mt. Carmel on September 16th, from 8 am -12 (Noon). Jason and Dale will be attending a LOCIS training class at Springfield on August 25th.
F. Finance: Bonnie stated that the committee had a meeting August 3rd, to discuss the proposals from Kemper CPA and Barbie J. Lachenmayr for the Village Audit. Motion by Bonnie, with a second by Bill, to go with Kemper for the Village Audit. All ayes, motion carried. Motion by Bonnie, with a second by Jack, to not comply with GASB 34 for the Fiscal Year 2004-2005. All ayes, motion carried.
18. There was no other business this month.
19. Motion by Jack, with a second by Bill, to adjourn at 8:38 pm. All ayes, motion carried.
Ladora Boyd, Clerk