Village of Oblong
December 1, 2004
The Village Board of Trustees met in regular session on December 1st, 2004, in the Farley Room of the Municipal Building.
Members Present: Mayor Keith Waldrop, Clerk Ladora Boyd, Trustee Bill Hatch, Trustee Bonnie Finn, Trustee Jack Gallion, Trustee Monte Gillaspie, Trustee Sherry Catt, Trustee Debi Wilson and Treasurer Jan Miller.
Others Present: Public Works Superintendent Gary Lanter, Chief Chad Pusey, Tom Compton (Daily News), Bill Cox, Jr., Chris Hinterscher (Floyd’s Place), Brenda L. Gillaspie and Officer Kristin Avery.
1. The meeting was called to order at 7:00 pm by Mayor Waldrop.
2. The Regular Board Meeting minutes of November 3rd were approved with a motion by Jack and a second by Bill. All ayes, motion carried.
3. There were no additions or deletions to the agenda this month.
4. There were no water bill customers at the meeting this month.
5. Chris Hinterscher came before the board to ask for an additional half hour on New Year’s Eve. Motion by Jack, with a second by Bill, to give both taverns an additional half hour on New Year’s Eve (Last Call at 1 am and everybody out by 1:30 am). Ayes: Bill, Bonnie, Jack, Debi. Nays: Monte, Sherry. Motion carried.
6. Motion by Sherry, with a second by Bill, to table the annual CCDA payment of $4,740 ($3 x 1580 – Village’s population) until next month. All ayes, motion carried. The Board would like for a representative of CCDA to come and give an update. Keith stated that he would contact CCDA.
7. Motion by Sherry, with a second by Debi, to adopt Resolution #04-9 “Supplemental Resolution for Maintenance of Streets and Highways by Municipality Under the Illinois Highway Code”. All ayes, motion carried.
8. Motion by Debi, with a second by Sherry, to approve the “Request for Expenditure/Authorization of Motor Fuel Tax Funds”. All ayes, motion carried.
9. Under Mayor's Comments: a.)Keith reminded everyone of the Employee/Board Christmas Party on December 17th and that everyone needed to let Jan or Ladora know if your coming.
b.) Keith stated that the Village had received a letter from United Science Industries about signing and agreement to deal with the contaminated soil in front of Herb’s Cyber Café. Keith stated that he has forward the information on to Frank Weber (Village Attorney). Keith stated that Frank did not have the paper ready for this month’s meeting, but will have for next month’s meeting possibly.
c.) Keith talked about Christmas bonuses for the employees. Keith stated that last year the bonuses were $115 for Full-time and $85 for Part-time. Motion by Bonnie, with a second by Debi, that the Christmas Bonuses for this year will be $115 for Full-time and $85 for Part-time. All ayes, motion carried.
10. The treasurer's report was given by Jan. Jan explained why there was a difference from last month’s CDs list.
11. Motion by Jack, with a second by Bonnie, to pay the bills that were on the warranty list and any utility bills, bills that will incur a late charge or reimbursements to employees. All ayes, motion carried.
12. Reports of Committees:
A Police: Jack stated that everyone had a copy of the monthly police report. Jack stated that there are a few training session this month for the Officers and the Chief. On December 4th, the Chief will be attending a session on Unified Command Course in Newton. On December 7th, the Chief and Officer Pine would like to attend Project Blue Light Ceremony in Plainfield, Indiana. Jack stated that the Chief would like permission to use a squad car and be allowed to be in full uniform. Motion by Debi, with a second by Jack, to allow the Chief and Officer Pine to go in full uniform and use a squad car. All ayes, motion carried. On December 17th, there will be a Night Shoot Certifications at the Firing Range at Robinson, for the Chief, Officer Avery and Officer Pine.
B. Buildings and Park: Sherry stated that everyone had a copy of the committee minutes (see attachment) for November 15th. Motion by Sherry, with a second by Bonnie, to grant the Crawford County Fair Board permission to widen the track out at the Park on the north side. All ayes, motion carried. The fair board is also wanting to replace the pipe steps going up on the eastside of the grandstand building. The fair board will pay to have some trees trimmed and take down a tree that is in the way. Ameren CIPS will move the electric poles. The police department needs more storage space. Gary asked if he could use the activity room free of charge on January 18th for a training session put on by Illinois Rural Water Association (IRWA). The Board granted permission. Gary stated that he had heard through the grapevine at the last Fair Board meeting that Randy Ferguson would like to hold a metal meet in the park next fall. Gary also stated that he had heard that possibly the Coon Hunters may want to use the park this spring for the National meet.
C. Sidewalks and Lights: There was nothing to report at this time.
D. Street and Alley: Gary stated that there have been some patching of streets and cleaning out of the ditches and storm sewers. There was some discussion about the leaf pick-up.
E. Water and Sewer: Debi stated that Gary, Travis, Rick and Jason would like to attend a JULIE, Inc. breakfast meeting in Olney on January 13th. The mayor would also like to attend the JULIE, Inc. breakfast. Debi stated that Shannon Woodard is still working on estimates for the water softener. Bill asked if there was anymore information on the new water extension.
F. Finance: Bonnie asked Jan if the gentleman from LOCIS had helped her with the problem she had. Keith stated that there will be 3 CDs coming due in January. The board decided to have Jan call about the interest rates closer to the CDs’ due dates.
13. Under other items of business: Debi asked about how many minute books had been put on CDs and why haven’t more been done. There was some discussion on this matter. It was decided that the minutes on CDs go back to 1985.
14. Motion by Jack, with a second by Bill, to adjourn at 7:47 pm. All ayes, motion carried.
Ladora Boyd, Clerk