Village of Oblong
July 7, 2004
The Village Board of Trustees met in regular session on July 7th, 2004, in the Farley Room of the Municipal Building.
Members Present: Mayor Keith Waldrop, Clerk Ladora Boyd, Trustee Bill Hatch, Trustee Bonnie Finn, Trustee Jack Gallion, Trustee Carole Jones, Trustee Sherry Catt, Trustee Debi Wilson and Treasurer Jan Miller.
Others Present: Public Works Superintendent Gary Lanter, Tom Compton (Daily News), Cyndi Reynolds (Oblong Gem), Sgt. Larry Fear, Patrol Officer Kristin Avery, Monte C. Gillaspie, Brenda L. Gillaspie, Jodi Machtley (Kemper CPA), Brandi Jittjumnongk (Lincoln Trail College [LTC]), Rhonda Clark (Kids Kingdom Daycare) and Randy Fancil.
1. The meeting was called to order at 7:00 pm by Mayor Waldrop.
2. The Regular Meeting minutes of June 2nd were approved with a motion by Sherry and a second by Jack. All ayes, motion carried.
3. There was one deletion to the agenda this month. A representative from Connor & Connor, Inc. did not attend the meeting. There was two additions to the agenda. Mrs. Clark and Mr. Fancil asked to speak to the board.
4. There were no water bill customers at the meeting this month.
5. Mrs. Clark from Kids Kingdom Daycare and Mr. Fancil, a concerned parent(whose children go to the daycare), stated that they had some concerns about the demolition of the old water tower. There was some discussion on the matter. Sherry suggested that the daycare can use the Farley Room and Activity Room when the demolition got started. The mayor stated that he and Byron would get together with Mrs. Clark about the rooms.
6. Jodi Machtley from Kemper CPA came before the board to give a summary of the audit report and answer any questions that the board had. Jodi stated that there were copies of the audit report for the board members. There were some questions asked and there was some discussion on what the section on compliance and internal control stated. Jodi stated that if any of the trustees had further questions to feel free to call her and she would answers them.
7. Brandi Jittjumnongk from LTC came before the board to ask permission to use the municipal building for Spring Semester 2005 evening class. She stated that the class were general courses and that the class size would be no more than 40. The board felt that this was a good idea. The mayor stated that she would need to get with Byron on the availability of the facilities.
8. Under Mayor's Comments: a.) Keith stated that there will be two (2) repos coming due on August 8th and then two (2) more repos coming due on August 25th. He stated that Jan will be sending out letters to the financial institutes for bids on the whole amount. The bids will be opened at the next regularly scheduled board meeting.
b.) Keith stated that Marathon is working with us on the new warning system (Siren). Waiting on the District Manager to okay that Marathon will put up the pole and run the electric like they did for the other Siren.
c.) Keith stated that the instruments have not come in yet for the new water tower. Gary stated that the instruments have arrived and that the past two (2) days he and the contractors have been working on the system. Keith stated that the electric has been installed.
d.) Keith stated that the IML Conference is September 16th - 19th, if any of the trustees want to attend the conference they need to let Ladora know by July 16th, so that she can send in the reservations.
e.) Keith stated that the Police Chief is on vacation and that Patrol Officer Avery is the officer in charge. Patrol Officer Avery stated that there will be a handgun qualification on July 16th, at the firing range. This is mandatory.
f.) Keith stated that there had been a modular home application turned in that needed the trustees signatures.
g.) Keith read a letter from Carole Jones stating that she was resigning as trustee effective July 12th due to the fact that she will no longer be living inside the village limit.
9. The treasurer's report was given by Jan. Jan stated that she has started a reserve account for the new water tower loan pay back. The amount being pulled will be $2,000.00.
10. Motion by Sherry, with a second by Debi, to pay the bills that were on the warranty list and any utility bills, bills that will incur a late charge or reimbursements to employees. All ayes, motion carried.
11. Reports of Committees:
A. Police: Jack stated that everyone had a copy of the monthly police report.
B. Buildings and Park: Sherry stated that there was a lilac bush donated to the park in the memory of Ladora=s grandfather, Leland Dale Rhyne. There will also be a stone stating that the lilac bush is in memory of Mr. Rhyne. Bonnie stated that while her husband, Ronnie, and her were attending bluegrass event a lady was telling Ronnie that the park and lake were a nice asset for the village.
C. Sidewalks and Lights: Bill stated that the committee and Gary will be getting together to discuss some projects. Gary stated that the guys had fixed some of the toe catchers around town and that some of the fire hydrants had been repainted.
D. Street and Alley: Gary stated that he and the guys will be starting some
of the street projects as the weather permits.
E. Water and Sewer: Debi stated that the committee had had a meeting in June. All the trustees had a copy of the minutes. Bill brought up the fact that on the USDA Rural Development annual report that Jan and Ladora do, shows that the village had a net loss in water last fiscal year. Bill stated that he is not blaming Gary but that the board needs to back up Gary in getting pro-fessional help in finding and giving suggestions on how to correct the problems. Keith stated that it needed to go thru the committee. Debi stated that she would get with Gary and schedule a meeting for sometime next week.
F. Finance: Bonnie stated that she had no other items of business for finance. Keith stated that the village had finally received a check from Jack Piper for the TIF mowing.
12. In other business: Ladora wanted to thank the village employees and board for the beautiful funeral arrangement sent for her grandpa=s funeral.
13. Motion by Sherry, with a second by Debi, to adjourn at 8:04 pm. All ayes, motion carried.
Ladora Boyd, Clerk