Village of Oblong
DRAFT MINUTES OF SPECIAL BOARD MEETING
July 19, 2004
The Village Board of Trustees met for special session on July 19th, 2004, in the Farley Room of the Oblong Municipal Building.
Members Present: Mayor Keith Waldrop, Clerk Ladora Boyd, Trustee Bill Hatch, Trustee Bonnie Finn, Trustee Jack Gallion, Trustee Sherry Catt, Trustee Debi Wilson and Treasurer Jan Miller.
Others Present: Chief Chad Pusey, Public Works Superintendent Gary Lanter, Demaree New, Cyndi Reynolds (Oblong Gem), Tom Compton (Robinson Daily News), Frank Weber (Village Attorney), Rhonda Clark (Kids Kingdom) and Randy Rich (Rusty Nail Hardware).
1. The meeting was called to order at 6 pm by Mayor Waldrop.
2. Mayor stated why the meeting was called. Mayor stated that Randy Rich had come in to talk with the Mayor about the board meeting on July 7th, 2004, where there was a suggested made about the daycare using the municipal building while the water tower was be dismantled. Randy then went and talk to Trustee Wilson about the same thing. Randy felt that if the Village Board was going to offer the Activity and Farley Rooms to the daycare at no charge then the Village Board was not being fair. Randy stated that he is still willing to work with the Village on coming to agreeable terms for compensating him during the dismantling of the old water tower.
There was some discussion about the RULES AND REGULATIONS FOR THE ACTIVITY ROOM OF THE OBLONG MUNICIPAL BUILDING which is posted on the wall in the kitchen. The rules state the terms for renting the Activity Room and Farley Room.
Trustee Hatch stated that the Boards first responsibility is to protect the citizens of the village.
3. Motion by Bill that the Board find a way to deal with the daycare and Rusty Nail. The motion died due a lack of a second.
4. Attorney Frank Weber stated his legal opinion. Frank stated that if any action was taken at the last regular board meeting on deciding to offer the activity room and farley room to the daycare, it was illegal due to the fact that Mrs. Clark did not call and ask to be put on the agenda before the meeting started. It was stated that there had only been a suggestion made to offer the rooms to the daycare. Frank stated that he feels there should be a meeting between the engineers and the businesses that will be affected by the dismantling of the old water tower.
Mrs. Clark stated that she does have another place to take the children from Kids Kingdom.
There were some more questions discussed.
5. Motion by Bill, with a second by Debi, that a committee, appointed by the Village Board, work with the involved parties with the dismantling of the old water tower. Ayes: Bill, Sherry, Debi. Nays: Bonnie, Jack. Motion carried. Debi, Bonnie and Bill volunteered to be on the Water Tower Committee.
Motion by Bill, with a second by Jack, to make Debi the chairperson of the Water Tower Committee. 5 ayes, motion carried.
6. Motion by Jack, with a second by Bill, to adjourn at 6:44 pm. 5 ayes, motion carried.
Ladora Boyd, Clerk