Village of Oblong
June 2, 2004
The Village Board of Trustees met in regular session on June 2nd, 2004, in the Farley Room of the Municipal Building.
Members Present: Mayor Keith Waldrop, Clerk Ladora Boyd, Trustee Bill Hatch, Trustee Bonnie Finn, Trustee Jack Gallion, Trustee Carole Jones, Trustee Sherry Catt, Trustee Debi Wilson and Treasurer Jan Miller.
Others Present: Public Works Superintendent Gary Lanter, Police Chief Chad Pusey, Tom Compton (Daily News), Cyndi Reynolds (Oblong Gem), Dale Davis, Sgt. Larry Fear, Joni Decker, Greg Bloom, Patrol Officer Kristin Avery, Monte C. Gillaspie, Brenda L. Gillaspie, Bill Cox, Jr., Chris Hinterscher, Rita Baud and Paul Perrine, Jr.
1. The meeting was called to order at 7:00 pm by Mayor Waldrop.
2. The Regular Meeting minutes of May 5th were approved with a motion by Bonnie and a second by Jack. All ayes, motion carried.
3. There was one deletion to the agenda this month. Shannon Woodard called the Mayor and stated that he had another meeting to attend and that there were no bills to be paid at this time.
4. There were three delinquent water bill customers at the meeting this month. Joni Decker asked if it would be alright if she paid $50 extra a month until she pays off her water bill of $ 128.71 starting June 4th. The trustees granted permission. Rita Baud stated that she would be able to pay her water bill on June 14th. The trustees granted permission. Greg Bloom ask for an extension for Jimette Ross of June 7th to pay her water bill. The trustees granted permission.
5. Motion by Sherry, with a second by Bill, to adopt Ordinance #2004-0-468 "Prevailing Wage Ordinance." All ayes, motion carried.
6. Motion by Bonnie, with a second by Jack, to adopt Ordinance #2004-0-469 "Appropriation Ordinance." All ayes, motion carried.
7. Motion by Carole, with a second by Sherry, to adopt Ordinance #2004-0-470 "An Ordinance to Amend Chapter 23, Manufactured Housing Code, Article I - General Provisions, Section 23-1-10, Prohibited Residential Uses, of the Revised Code of Ordinances of Oblong, Illinois." Ayes: Bill, Carole, Sherry. Nays: Bonnie, Jack. Abstain: Debi. Motion carried.
8. Motion by Jack, with a second by Bonnie, to adopt Ordinance #2004-0-471 "An Ordinance to Amend Chapter 21, Liquor, Article III - Regulations, Section 21-3-1, Hours, of the Revised Code of Ordinances of Oblong, Illinois." Ayes: Bill, Bonnie, Jack, Debi. Nays: Carole, Sherry. Motion carried.
9. Under Mayor's Comments: a.) Keith stated that the Village had received a Thank You Note from Madeline Harris and Shirley Osborn stating their "appreciation to the town board for the use of the park for our Conservation Day. We heard so many compliments on our beautiful lake and park. The kids had a great and educational time."
b.) Keith stated that he had received a letter from MediaCom. MediaCom is offering some new packages for digital cable.
c.) Keith stated that Gary and Travis will be gone June 10th to a meeting in Effingham, Rick and Jason will be gone July 21st to a meeting in Manteno, Gary maybe on vacation June 28th thru July 2nd, Jan will be gone June 28th and 29th to Treasurer's Conference in Quincy and Officer Avery will be gone June 8th thru 11th to Juvenile School in Matoon.
d.) Keith stated that ten (10) to fourteen (14) days Mike Munson will get the go ahead to start the dismantling of the old water tower. Shannon called to give the Mayor this information. Bill asked if the (10) to fourteen (14) days started today. Keith stated that Shannon could not give a definite date. It was stated that once Mike get the notice to precede that he has thirty (30) days to complete the project.
e.) Keith stated that the new lines are in to the new water tower and the new pump house will be put on line. Gary stated that there have been samples sent in and are waiting for the results before filling the new tower. Jack asked if there had to be samples taken from the new tower before dismantling of the old tower. Gary stated yes. Keith said that the electrician is suppose to be out at the new tower next week and then the 911 antenna can be moved from the old tower to the new one.
f.) Keith stated that the new squad car was ready to hit the streets tomorrow, but that the video camera will be installed this weekend.
g.) Keith stated that the house at 402 East Indiana will be torn down and burned next Monday (June 7th).
h.) Keith stated that there will be a wedding at the Park near the Memorial Wall on June 12th.
i.) Keith mentioned that he had received a complaint about the traffic on Route 33 during the Memorial Day Service at the cemetery. He stated that he would look into having the traffic stopped for 30-45 minutes like is done for the Homecoming Parade and Halloween Parade.
j.) Keith mentioned that work on the basketball court out at the park has begun.
10. The treasurer's report was given by Jan. Jan explained to the board why the difference was in the CD balance from last month's report. Jan also explained that when the two CD's come due that the Village can commingle the amounts into one CD.
11. Motion by Sherry, with a second by Bill, to pay the bills that were on the warranty list and any utility bills, bills that will incur a late charge or reimbursements to employees. All ayes, motion carried.
12. Reports of Committees:
A. Police: Jack stated that everyone had a copy of the monthly police report. Chad asked permission to sell the radar unit from the 98 squad car for $200.00. He stated that Jasper County Sheriff Department is interest in buying the unit. The board gave permission.
B. Buildings and Park: Sherry stated that has been some new trees and flowers planted and that the flowers that were planted by Ridgeview are doing great.
C. Sidewalks and Lights: Bill asked Gary about the Route 33 project being postpone until 2008, if so, is there some of the sidewalks uptown needing some done before then. Gary stated that he would be willing to meet with the committee and look at the sidewalks.
D. Street and Alley: Carole stated that the bid letting was this morning for the annual street work that is paid thru Motor Fuel Tax Fund. Carole also stated that the summer help will be starting soon.
E. Water and Sewer: Debi mention that the board could look at the three folders that contained the new reports from Gary. Debi stated that the board all had a copy of the minutes of May 17th and May 26th. Motion by Debi, with a second by Jack, that the board go with the recommendation from Connor & Connor, Inc. to not pay compensation to the owner of the hardware store for being closed during the time that the old water tower is being dismantled. Ayes: Bonnie, Jack, Sherry, Debi. Nays: Bill, Carole. Motion carried.
F. Finance: Keith stated that the audit will be presented to the Board at next month's meeting. Gary asked permission to advertise the Cub Cadet for sale in the Trader. The board gave permission.
13. Motion by Sherry, with a second by Debi, to go into executive session at 7:44 pm to discuss personnel. All ayes, motion carried.
14. Motion by Sherry, with a second by Jack, to come out of executive session at 8:01 pm. All ayes, motion carried.
15. Motion by Jack, with a second by Debi, to adopt ordinance #2004-0-472 "An Ordinance Setting and Establishing the Rates of Pay for Two (2) Full-time Patrol Officers of the Village of Oblong, Illinois". All ayes, motion carried.
16. There was no other business this month.
17. Motion by Jack, with a second by Debi, to adjourn at 8:03 pm. All ayes, motion carried.
Ladora Boyd, Clerk