Village of Oblong
March 3, 2004
The Village Board of Trustees met in regular session on March 3rd, 2004, in the Farley Room of the Municipal Building.
Members Present: Mayor Keith Waldrop, Clerk Ladora Boyd, Trustee Bill Hatch, Trustee Bonnie Finn, Trustee Jack Gallion, Trustee Carole Jones, Trustee Debi Wilson and Treasurer Jan Miller.
Absent: Trustee Sherry Catt.
Others Present: Public Works Superintendent Gary Lanter, Police Chief Chad Pusey, Tom Compton (Daily News), Shannon Woodard (Connor & Connor, Inc.), Cory Utterback (Connor & Connor, Inc.) Jackie Graham, Ron Finn, Brandy Kocher and her son.
1. The meeting was called to order at 7:00 pm by Mayor Waldrop.
2. The Regular Meeting minutes of February 4th were approved with a motion by Bonnie and a second by Bill. 5 ayes, motion carried.
3. There were no additions or deletions to the agenda this month.
4. There was one delinquent water bill customers at the meeting this month. Brandy Kocher came before the Board to request an extension on her water bill until March 10th. The Board granted it.
5. Shannon Woodard came before the board to present some bills from the Water Tower Project. Shannon stated that the following amounts are being requested upon approval from EPA: Pay Estimate #3 to Caldwell Tank Service for $168,665.00; Pay Estimate #4 to David Krick for $25,381.40; and Connor & Connor, Inc. (inspection) for $779.71. Motion by Bonnie, with a second by Jack, to pay the submitted bills upon EPA approval. 5 ayes, motion carried.
Shannon also brought before the Board a sample of the Logo to go on the new Water Tower upon the Boards approval. There was some discussion about the lettering design. The Logo will be an additional $5,000. There was some questions about how the new Water Tower is to be painted. Shannon stated that the paint will be rolled on. Motion by Jack, with a second by Bonnie, to go ahead with the Logo as shown to the Board. The Logo is block four foot (4') letters, panther paws and the American Flag. Ayes: Bill, Bonnie, Jack, Debi. Nays: Carole.
6. Motion by Carole, with a second by Jack, to adopt Ordinance #2004-0-465 "An Ordinance to Amend Chapter 38, Utilities, Article V - Wastewater Systems, Section 38-5-75, Sewer Rates, Of the Revised Code of Ordinances of Oblong, Illinois". 5 ayes, motion carried.
7. Motion by Bill, with a second by Bonnie, to allow Conservation Day to be held on May 12th out at the Park from 8:30 am to 3 pm. 5 ayes, motion carried.
8. Under Mayor's Comments:
a.) Keith passed around a thank you card from Ladora.
b.) Keith reminded the department heads that the cut off date for budgets to be turned in to the committees is March 12th.
c.) Keith stated that the Farm Rent has been paid this year. The amount was $1,500.
d.) Keith stated that the tavern extended hours probation period is up this month. Keith suggested that the Board give another 90 day probation period. Motion by Jack, with a second by Bill, to give the taverns in town another 90 day probation period. Ayes: Bill, Bonnie, Jack, Debi. Nays: Carole. Motion carried.
e.) Keith stated that there will be two (2) new computers put in the budget for next year to be placed in the clerk and treasurer's office. Keith stated that with the changing of software now it would be better to go ahead and get the computers now. There is money left in the budget to get them. Keith stated that he would like to use $3,500 for the new computers. Motion by Bill, with a second by Debi, to go ahead and get the two (2) new computers now. Ayes: Bill, Bonnie, Carole, Debi. Nays: Jack. Motion carried.
f.) Keith stated that Sharon Haley would like to use the Park on April 24th form 9 am to 12 (noon) for St. Jude Bike-a-thon. Motion by Carole, with a second by Bill, to allow the St. Jude Bike-a-thon to be held out at the Park on April 24th. 5 ayes, motion carried.
9. The treasurer's report was given by Jan. Jan stated that the interest would be put on later this month.
10. Motion by Debi, with a second by Carole, to pay the bills that were on the voucher and any utility bills, bills that will incur a late charge or reimbursements to employees. 5 ayes, motion carried.
11. Reports of Committees:
A. Police: Carole stated that everyone had a copy of the monthly police report. There will be a committee meeting on March 9th at 1 pm. Chad stated that there will be a training session on March 12th at Robinson this is an annual training session required by the state on hazmat and blood bourn pathogens. There was some discussed on Race Profiling this will be a four (4) year study.
B. Buildings and Park: No Report. Debi asked about the vandalism out at the Park. Chad and Gary both said that it has slowed down.
C. Sidewalks and Lights: No Report.
D. Street and Alley: No Report.
E. Water and Sewer: Keith stated that there is a committee meeting to follow after the adjournment of the Board meeting. Bill ask how the new software was going. Gary stated that he felt that it is going well. The new software will be going by May 1st.
F. Finance: Debi stated that she is waiting to see when the budgets are turned in. The Finance Committee will have a meeting after the budget is turned in.
12. Ladora mentioned that there is to be a SECITA meeting on March 11th at Neoga, that she and Jan may attend if everything is so they can. Jan stated that possibly Dale would like to go with Ladora and her, to maybe look at Neoga's Locis Utility Billing Program.
13. Motion by Jack, with a second by Carole, to adjourn at 7:54 pm. 5 ayes, motion carried.
Ladora Boyd, Clerk