Village of Oblong
November 3, 2004
The Village Board of Trustees met in regular session on November 3rd, 2004, in the Farley Room of the Municipal Building.
Members Present: Mayor Keith Waldrop, Clerk Ladora Boyd, Trustee Bill Hatch, Trustee Bonnie Finn, Trustee Jack Gallion, Trustee Monte Gillaspie, Trustee Sherry Catt, Trustee Debi Wilson and Treasurer Jan Miller.
Others Present: Public Works Superintendent Gary Lanter, Chief Chad Pusey, Brenda L. Gillaspie and Officer Kristin Avery.
1. The meeting was called to order at 7:00 pm by Mayor Waldrop.
2. The Regular Board Meeting minutes of October 6th were approved with a motion by Jack and a second by Bonnie. All ayes, motion carried.
3. There were no additions or deletions to the agenda this month.
4. There were no water bill customers at the meeting this month.
5. Motion by Jack, with a second by Debi, to grant the VFW to use the 4-way stop on Saturday, November 6th, from 9 am to 1 pm to collect donations and hand out poppies. All ayes, motion carried.
6. The Employee/Trustee Christmas Party was set for December 17th, at the HiWay Café starting at 5:30 pm. Everyone planning to attend need to let Keith or Ladora know by December 6th.
7. Under Mayor's Comments: a.) Keith stated that the Police Department had received a letter from Landmark Ford about a class-action suit which automatically included the State of Illinois and every municipality as a member of the class, unless they opted-out. If the Village does not opt-out Ford Motor Company will not sell the Village a police car. Chad forwarded the letter from Landmark Ford to the Village attorney. The Village attorney prepared a letter for Keith to sign if the Village decided to opt-out of the lawsuit. Motion by Jack, with a second by Bill, to opt-out of the class-action lawsuit against Ford Motor Company. All ayes, motion carried.
b.) Keith stated that the new warning system pole and speaker are up but still needs to have electric hooked up.
c.) Keith stated that the Village had received the annual insurance for the Village’s property, liability and workers’ comp. There was an increase of about $2,000 from last year.
d.) Keith stated that the Village had received a letter from IDOT about the Motor Fuel audits.
8. The treasurer's report was given by Jan. Jan explained why there was three figures for interest amounts with some of the Repos.
9. Motion by Debi, with a second by Bonnie, to pay the bills that were on the warranty list and any utility bills, bills that will incur a late charge or reimbursements to employees. All ayes, motion carried.
10. Reports of Committees:
A Police: Jack stated that everyone had a copy of the monthly police report. Jack stated that Officer Pine will be attending a training session on Meth in Mattoon on November 4th. The committee met to discussed practice ammo. Motion by Jack, with a second by Bonnie, to have Chad purchase ammo for practice from Wal*Mart with a limit of 2 boxes per month weather permitting for Officer Avery and Officer Pine. All ayes, motion carried. Chad stated that he is trying to get a grant to pay for computers in each one of the police car.
B. Buildings and Park: Sherry stated that there will be a committee meeting on November 15th, at 5:15 pm. Bonnie stated that the Lake Committee will start putting up Christmas decorations on Saturday, November 13th.
C. Sidewalks and Lights: Gary stated that there had been sidewalk repairs in front of the Rusty Nail Hardware and where they had to tear up the sidewalk where the old water tower lines were. Gary stated that there were still some minor project repairs to do.
D. Street and Alley: Gary stated that Ambraw Asphalt will start doing prep work on South Adams Street Thursday (November 4th) and Friday (November 5th). They will hopefully get to start on Monday (November 8th) morning with the resurfacing.
E. Water and Sewer: Debi stated that she had nothing at this time to report.
F. Finance: Bonnie stated that the committee had a meeting. (See attached minutes.) Motion by Bonnie, with a second by Bill, to rescind her motion to not comply with GASB-34. All ayes, motion carried. Motion by Bonnie, with a second by Bill, to comply with GASB-34. Ayes: Bill, Bonnie, Monte, Sherry, Debi. Nays: Jack.
12. There was no other business this month.
13. Motion by Jack, with a second by Bill, to adjourn at 7:33 pm. All ayes, motion carried.
Ladora Boyd, Clerk