Village of Oblong
April 6, 2005
The Village Board of Trustees met in regular session on April 6th, 2005, in the Farley Room of the Municipal Building.
Members Present: Mayor Keith Waldrop, Clerk Ladora Boyd, Trustee Bill Hatch, Trustee Bonnie Finn, Trustee Jack Gallion, Trustee Monte Gillaspie, Trustee Sherry Catt, Trustee Debi Wilson and Treasurer Jan Miller.
Others Present: Public Works Superintendent Gary Lanter, Chief Chad Pusey, Tom Compton (Daily News), Charlotte Cannon (Oblong Gem), Patrol Officer Kristin Avery, Brenda Gillaspie, Charlie Dorn (Durnill’s Pest Control), Ken Russell, Rick Houdasheldt, Randy Rich, Rick Catt and Kim Priest.
1. The meeting was called to order at 7:00 pm by Mayor Waldrop.
2. The Regular Board Meeting minutes of March 2nd, 2005, were approved with a motion by Bill and a second by Bonnie. All ayes, motion carried.
3. There were no additions or deletions to the agenda this month.
4. There was one water bill customers at the meeting this month. Kim Priest came before the Board to ask for an extension on her delinquent water bill until Friday, April 8th. The Board granted the extension.
5. Charlie Dorn of Durnill’s Pest Control came before the board to discuss coming in and spraying for bugs (ants). Mr. Dorn stated that he is licensed in the State of Illinois. Mr. Dorn stated that he has opened an office in Robinson and that his contact person would be Byron. The initial cost would be $80.00, which includes two visits. Then $30.00 a month there after, with at least one visit a month. He stated that if he needs to come back it would not be an extra cost. Also he stated that if the Village does not like the job he does, the Village can tell him to stop because there is no contract to be signed. Motion by Jack, with a second by Sherry, to go with Durnill’s Pest Control. All ayes, motion carried. Mr. Dorn asked if he could start tomorrow morning (April 7th).
6. Motion by Debi, with a second by Monte, to adopt Ordinance #2005-0-479 “An Ordinance to Amend Chapter 24, Motor Vehicle Code, Article III - Stop and Through Streets, Section 24-3-3 of the Revised Code of Ordinances of Oblong, Illinois”. All ayes, motion carried.
7. Motion by Debi, with a second by Bill, to adopt Resolution #05-2 “A Corporate Resolution” which is dealing with the right of way in front of the Oilfield Museum. All ayes, motion carried.
8. Under Mayor's Comments: a.)Keith stated Jan and Ladora would like to attend a LOCIS meeting in Springfield on April 20th. There was no objections to letting Jan and Ladora go to the LOCIS meeting.
b.) Keith stated that Frank had not gotten back with him about the two abandoned properties that the Village condemned last month. Ladora stated that Frank had told her that the owners, of the property at 402 South Range Street, had come in and told him that they were going to fix up the place.
c.) Keith stated that Spring Clean-up will be April 15th with Jamax.
d.) Keith informed the Board that the Canvassing of the Votes Committee would consist of Ladora, Sherry and himself.
e.) Keith stated that the Eastern Illinois Sportsmen’s Club would like to use the Oblong Lake for their annual fishing rodeo on June 11th from 9 am to 11:30 am. Motion by Jack, with a second by Sherry, to allow the EISC permission to use the Oblong Lake for their annual fishing rodeo. All ayes, motion carried.
9. The treasurer's report was given by Jan. Jan explain the changes on CD List Report. Jan also stated that all the CD’s will come due on August 9th, she will send out letters in mid July for bids to bring to the August Board Meeting. Bill asked if there was anything pending on the EPA loan. Jan stated that the Village is still waiting on paperwork from EPA. The amount is around $33,000.00. The first payment is due July 11th.
10. A motion by Bonnie, with a second by Debi, to pay the bills that were on the warranty list and any utility bills, bills that will incur a late charge or reimbursements to employees. All ayes, motion carried.
11. Reports of Committees:
A Police: Jack stated that everyone had a copy of the monthly police report. Jack stated that there are several training session this month. On April 15th, the department will be attending a Hazmat training session at the Robinson Police Department. On April 18th and 19th, Part-time Patrol Officers Plummer and Cheadle will be attending a Basic Rifle training session at the Shooting Range. On April 29th, the department will be attending a Handgun Marksmanship training (qualifying) session at the Shooting Range.
B. Buildings and Park: Sherry asked Gary how the goalposts for the basketball court were coming along. Gary stated that they had been sanded and painted. He hopes to get them set this month. Bonnie stated that the Lake Committee would like to use the Park on June 4th to hold a luau and to have the street blocked off from the entry into the horse arena area to the north side of the bridge. There was no objection to this request.
C. Sidewalks and Lights: Gary stated that the department was doing some minor repairs on the sidewalk on West Illinois Street and that they are starting to work on a storm drain that is collapsing under a section of sidewalk on West Indiana Street. Gary asked for permission to contract out the repair of the sidewalk on North Range Street. The Board granted permission.
D. Street and Alley: Monte gave a brief report on some of the projects for the street/alley department.
E. Water and Sewer: Debi stated the committee met to discuss the budget for 2006 Fiscal Year. Debi stated that the committee also discussed summer help. Debi passed around a letter that Gary had received from Connor & Connor, Inc. about the Lagoon Sludge survey. Connor & Connor feels that in the next 4 to 7 years the sludge will need to be removed. The estimated cost is $90,000 to $120,000 for this project. Connor & Connor suggested to start setting aside money for this project.
F. Finance: Keith stated that what needs to be discussed will be discussed during executive session.
12. Motion by Bonnie, with a second by Debi, to go into executive session at 7:31 pm to discuss personnel. All ayes, motion carried.
13. Motion by Bonnie, with a second by Debi, to come out of executive session at 7:39 pm and back into regular session. All ayes, motion carried.
14. Motion by Jack, with a second by Bonnie, to adopt Ordinance #2005-0-480 “An Ordinance Setting and Establishing the Rates of Payment for Various Employees of the Village of Oblong, Illinois for the Fiscal Year Commencing on the 1st Day of May, 2005, and Ending on the 30th Day of April, 2006. All ayes, motion carried.
15. Motion by Bonnie, with a second by Jack, to adopt the proposed budget as it is printed. All ayes, motion carried.
16. Motion by Jack, with a second by Bill, to adjourn at 7:44 pm. All ayes, motion carried.
Ladora C. Boyd