Village of Oblong
August 3, 2005
The Village Board of Trustees met in regular session on August 3rd, 2005, in the Farley Room of the Municipal Building.
Members Present: Mayor Randy Rich, Clerk Ladora Boyd, Trustee Rick Catt, Trustee Bonnie Finn, Trustee Rick Houdasheldt, Trustee Sherry Catt, Trustee Debi Wilson and Treasurer Jan Miller.
Absent: Trustee Ken Russell.
Others Present: Public Works Superintendent Gary Lanter, Police Chief Chad Pusey, Tom Compton (Daily News), Charlotte Cannon (Oblong Gem), Paul Perrine, Sr., Paul Perrine, Jr., Judy Jones and Daniel Fritchie.
1. The meeting was called to order at 7:00 pm by Mayor Rich.
2. The Regular Board Meeting minutes of July 6th, 2005, were approved with a motion by Debi and a second by Sherry. Five (5) ayes, motion carried.
3. There were no additions or deletions to the agenda this month.
4. There were no water bill customers at the meeting this month.
5. Paul (Jr.) came before the Board to ask how to get the condemnation of the structures located at 402 South Range Street reversed. He gave the Board a time table of how long it would take for him to get the house fixed up. He has the necessary items to fix up the house. Paul (Sr.) stated that the house is in better shape than where Paul (Jr.) is living at now. Paul (Sr.) stated that he is selling the property to his son and that until Paul (Jr.) pays in full Paul (Sr.) will keep the deed in his name. Paul (Sr.) wanted to know why it was three (3) month after it was stated in the newspaper about the property before he received any kind of notice from the Village attorney. Randy stated that the Village attorney would have that information in his files. Randy also stated that there has already been a judgement to have the structures torn down and that the Village attorney advise that Paul (Jr.) would need to speak to an attorney to see about getting the judgement reversed. Paul (Sr.) asked if the structures have to be torn down, could he do that himself so that he could save what good lumber there is in the house. Randy stated that he would have to ask the Village attorney about the legalities on that. Paul (Sr.) stated that the garage is solid concrete, so he is not planning on tearing it down. Paul (Sr.) asked if he could setup a payment schedule to pay off the lien on the property, which consisted of legal fee.
6. Motion by Rick C., with a second by Bonnie, to adopt Resolution #05-4 “A Resolution for the Homecoming Parade Permit” to be held on September 23rd from 1:30 pm to 3:30 pm. Five (5) ayes, motion carried.
7. Motion by Sherry, with a second by Rick H., to adopt Resolution #05-5 “A Resolution for the Halloween Parade Permit” to be held on October 29th from 6:30 pm to 9:30 pm. Five (5) ayes, motion carried.
8. Motion by Rick C., with a second by Rick H., to grant a Modular Home permit to Travis and Teresa Smith. Five (5) ayes, motion carried.
9. Judy Jones came to the Board Meeting to ask about the property located at 405 South Garfield Street.
10. Under Mayor's Comments: 1.) Randy stated that the Village attorney has been contacted by an attorney representing a person that is in the process of purchasing the property from Mr. Snider and will be cleaning it up within 60 days after closing date.
2.) Randy stated that there will be a Public Hearing on Oblong IGA possibly getting a liquor license. It will be held August 15th, at 7 pm. This will be published in both the Oblong Gem and the Daily News. Tom Compton suggested that before any statement are made at this meeting there should be some rules implemented. Rick H. stated that this is just a public forum there will be no vote taken at this meeting.
11. The treasurer's report was given by Jan. Jan stated that the interest was the only change to the repos.
12. A motion by Sherry, with a second by Rick C., to pay the bills that were on the warranty list and any utility bills, bills that will incur a late charge or reimbursements to employees. Five (5) ayes, motion carried.
13. Reports of Committees:
A Police: Rick H. stated that there will be a meeting sometime the week of August 15th. One of the things that will be discussed at the meeting will be the possibility of hiring another Part-time officer. Chad stated that as of now there is only one training session coming up this month. On August 18th, all officers will be re-certified on the ARI assault rifle.
B. Buildings and Park: Sherry stated that there will be a committee meeting on August 9th, at 5:15 pm. Sherry stated that she was very pleased with the way the park looked after the fair and how clean the restrooms looked during the fair.
C. Sidewalks and Lights: Debi stated that the committee had a meeting on July 13th to discuss a handicap sidewalk at the corner of West Main Street and North Wilson Street. It will need to meet the new IDOT standards. Gary stated that the other repair job in that area will be done at the same time.
D. Street and Alley: No Report at this time.
E. Water and Sewer: Debi stated that all the trustees had a copy of the recommendation from Ken. Randy stated that the increase of 10 % to all water customers will need to be in ordinance form to be legal and that it will take effect on October 1st instead of September 1st. Motion by Rick H., with a second by Rick C., to have an ordinance drafted with the 10 % increase to all water customers. Five (5) ayes, motion carried.
Debi stated that the committee has decided to set a side $2.00 from every sewer customers’ bill for the future dredging of the sewer lagoon. This will not raise the sewer rate. Motion by Debi, with a second by Bonnie, to start setting a side $1,500.00 a month (based on $2 x 750) earmarked for the dredging of the sewer lagoon. Five (5) ayes, motion carried.
There was a question about needing another new water tower. Water Extension Phase II will need to have an additional 50,000 gallion water tank to help keep the water pressure up.
Bonnie stated that Gary would like to send Rick White and Travis Smith to the EJ Equipment Open House & Training on August 17th starting at 8:30 am in Joliet if their schedule permits it. The Board granted the request.
Rick C. had a question about the surveys that are being sent out. Gary stated that Rick C. had probably not received one yet; because the department is only sending out 50 surveys a month. These cross connection surveys are required by the state EPA.
F. Finance: Rick C. stated that the audit will be presented at the September Board Meeting. The committee will met an hour before the regular meeting that evening. There is a question about the indebtedness of the Village. There is a percent of the assess value that the Village can not exceed. Brian Bradbury thought it was 8.625% of the assessed value. This is a state regulation. So, if the Board decides to do another project; they will need to check into this more throughly.
Rick C. stated that the Village had received three (3) bids on the Repo (coming due August 9th) and checking account. Rick had Bonnie open the bids. The bids are as follows:
First Financial Bank of Oblong 3.49 % APY
First National Bank of Olney (Oblong Branch) 4.07 % APY
First Robinson Savings Bank 3.23 % APY
Motion by Rick C., with a second by Rick H., to accept the bid from First National Bank of Olney (Oblong Branch) for a one year term at 4.07 % APY for both checking and repos. Five (5) ayes, motion carried.
14. Under other business:
a.) Daniel Fritchie wanted to know about burning of trash. Randy stated that burning is only to be from dawn to dusk and no burning of garbage. Mr. Fritchie states that his neighbor is constantly burning after dusk. Chad suggested that the next time Mr. Fritchie’s neighbor is burning after dusk that Mr. Fritchie should call dispatch to log a complaint.
15. Motion by Debi, with a second by Sherry, to adjourn at 7:54 pm. Five (5) ayes, motion carried.
Ladora C. Boyd