Village of Oblong
December 7, 2005
The Village Board of Trustees met in regular session on December 7th, 2005, in the Farley Room of the Municipal Building.
Members Present: Mayor Randy Rich, Clerk Ladora Boyd, Trustee Rick Catt, Trustee Bonnie Finn, Trustee Rick Houdasheldt, Trustee Ken Russell, Trustee Debi Wilson and Treasurer Jan Miller.
Absent: Trustee Sherry Catt.
Others Present: Public Works Superintendent Gary Lanter, Police Chief Chad Pusey, Tom Compton(Daily News), Public Works Office Manager Dale Davis, Chris Hinterscher and Nedra Clark.
1. The meeting was called to order at 7:00 pm by Mayor Rich.
2. The Regular Board Meeting minutes of November 2nd, 2005, were approved with a motion by Bonnie and a second by Ken. Five (5) ayes, motion carried.
3. There were no additions or deletions to the agenda this month.
4. There was one water bill customers at the meeting this month.
Nedra Clark came before the Board to ask for an extension on her water bill until January 3rd. The Board granted the extension.
5. Chris Hinterscher came before the board to ask for a ½ hour extension on closing time at the taverns here in town, which would be last call at 1 am and everyone out at 1:30 am. Motion by Rick C., with a second by Rick H., to allow the ½ hour extension. Five (5) ayes, motion carried.
6. Under Mayor's Comments:
1. Randy stated that the Village had received a check from IDOT for $3,000. Randy stated that the Illinois Oilfield Museum was the one who had paid for the land originally and that the Village had not invested any money into the land; so he suggested that the Village give the money to the Oilfield Museum. Motion by Rick C., with a second by Bonnie, to sent a check in the amount of $3,000 to the Oilfield Museum. Five (5) ayes, motion carried.
2. Randy stated that the Village had received the notice from Crawford County Development Association for annual contribution.
3. Randy stated that he had received some letters from MediaCom concerning some changes. One of the changes is an increase in the late fee charged from $2.95 to $5 as of January, 2006. The other change will be in the line up as of December 31st, 2005.
4. Randy stated that the Village Christmas Party went well and wanted to thank the ones who put it together.
7. The treasurer's report was deferred to the Finance Committee report.
8. Motion by Debi, with a second by Ken, to pay the bills that were on the warranty list and any utility bills, bills that will incur a late charge or reimbursements to employees. Five (5) ayes, motion carried.
9. Reports of Committees:
A Police: Rick H. stated that the Police Department has received the $1,000 grant from Wal - Mart and Chad has purchased with this grant two new glocks for Kristin and himself so that they will be able to use the same ammo. Rick stated that the employee evaluations will be brought to the board at the January Meeting. There will be some training sessions this month. Today Chad had Paul go to a training session on Police Pursuit. On December 14th, there will be a Regional training session that the Chad will be attending. On December 14th & 15th, there will be a Basic Rifle training session that Paul will need to attend, since the squad cars have a rifle in them. On December 19th, there will be a training session on Blood Born Pathogens and Hazmat. Chad stated that he would be on vacation next week.
B. Buildings and Park: Rick H. stated that he had found someone to give a price on building a storage room for the Police Department upstairs in the building.
C. Sidewalks and Lights: No report at this time.
D. Street and Alley: Gary stated that the city trucks are ready for snow. Randy stated that he had been approached about trucks being parked during the holidays.
E. Water and Sewer: Ken stated that the 950N Project had went well. There are just a few more services to be changed before David Krick starts re-seeding the grass. Gary stated that there will be a training session held here at the building tomorrow, December 8th, by Illinois Rural Water Association.
F. Finance: Rick C. stated that the committee had a committee meeting Monday, December 5th, to discuss the following items: 1. Christmas bonuses for the employees. The recommendation from the committee is to pay the bonus amount that has been budgeted for but also to think about changing it next year; since it has been the same amount now for several years now. Motion by Rick C., with a second by Debi, to give the Full-time and Part-time employees the amounts that were budgeted for Christmas bonus. Five (5) ayes, motion carried. 2. The committee spend some time discussing health insurance and listen to a gentleman, from Griffith Insurance , give a quote and will approach local agent to give a quote. Rick stated that he has put a call into talk with a gentleman in Evansville that does not sell insurance but will analyze the quotes. 3. Rick stated that Jan and Ladora would like to go to their SEICTA meeting tomorrow at Effingham. The board granted the request. 4. The committee had some discussion on the some financial reports to see what reports are available to the board. Randy stated that he had received a post card from a company that has utility bill software. He stated that down the road the Board may decide to switch and totally get away from LOCIS.
10. Under other business:
a.) Randy stated that the Perrine property is being worked on. Randy has talked to Paul, Jr. and stated that the lean-to needs to be taken down.
b.) Randy stated that he had talked to the lady who own the building in the 100 block of South Range Street. She stated that the insurance companies are still trying to figure out who pays for what; once this is settled she is planning to have the building repaired.
c.) Ken wanted to know about the property on North Garfield Street. Chad stated that he had given Randy a list of properties that need to be looked at. Randy stated that due to cost of getting things done is what is holding up some of the process because there was not enough budgeted for the legal costs.
d.) There was some discussion of the under pinning for the trailer on East Main Street.
11. Motion by Rick H, with a second by Bonnie, to adjourn at 7:39 pm. Five (5) ayes, motion carried.
Ladora C. Boyd