Village of Oblong
Minutes of the January 2005 Meeting
January 5, 2005
The Village Board of Trustees met in regular session on January 5th, 2005, in the Farley Room of the Municipal Building.
Members Present: Mayor Keith Waldrop, Clerk Ladora Boyd, Trustee Bill Hatch, Trustee Bonnie Finn, Trustee Jack Gallion, Trustee Monte Gillaspie, Trustee Sherry Catt, Trustee Debi Wilson and Treasurer Jan Miller.
Others Present: Public Works Superintendent Gary Lanter, Chief Chad Pusey, Tom Compton (Daily News), Charlotte Cannon (Oblong Gem), Bob Berty (CCDA), Norma Corder (CCDA), Part-time Officer Dan Cheadle and Jeanette Berty.
1. The meeting was called to order at 7:00 pm by Mayor Waldrop.
2. The Regular Board Meeting minutes of December 1st, 2004, were approved with a motion by Sherry and a second by Jack. All ayes, motion carried.
3. There was one deletion to the agenda this month, Shannon Woodard of Connor & Connor, Inc. was unable to attend the board meeting.
4. There were no water bill customers at the meeting this month.
5. Bob Berty, Executive Director of CCDA, came before the board to update on what CCDA has been involved in the previous year. Mr. Berty stated that everyone would like to have industry drop in their backyards; some of the industries that have been helped by CCDA are the Ethanol Plant, Illini Quick Pack and Midwest Transportion. The ethanol plant employs 40. There were some questions asked by the board. Mr Berty said that since 1987, there have been around fifty (50) loans made from the revolving loan fund; ten (10) of those loans were to people from Oblong. The county board controls the revolving loan fund.
6. Motion by Bonnie, with a second by Jack, to pay the annual CCDA payment of $4,740 ($3 x 1580 – Village’s population) plus the international marketing fee of $1,000. Ayes: Bonnie, Jack, Monte, Sherry, Debi. Nays: Bill. Motion carried.
7. Under Mayor's Comments: a.)Keith praised Gary and the guys on the snow removal uptown and the police department on a good job New Year’s Eve.
b.) Keith stated that it is time to start thinking about budget for the department heads.
c.) Keith stated that the house that burned on West Main Street is to be torn down in the future.
8. The treasurer's report was given by Jan. Jan stated that she will call the banks and get an interest rate on the amount of the three (3) repos that are coming due on January 24th. Jan asked permission to take the four (4) passbook savings accounts and put them in the repo at First National Bank where they will earn the 2.3% interest. The board granted permission.
9. Motion by Bill, with a second by Debi, to pay the bills that were on the warranty list and any utility bills, bills that will incur a late charge or reimbursements to employees. All ayes, motion carried.
10. Reports of Committees:
A Police: Jack stated that everyone had a copy of the monthly police report, year end report and Officers Report. Jack stated that there are a few training sessions this month for the Officers and the Chief. On January 12th, the officers will be attending a session on Vehicle Code Update (9 am to 12 pm) in Robinson. On January 26th, the officers will be attending a session on Electronic Recording of Interrogations (Mandatory) [1 pm to 3:30 pm] in Oblong.
B. Buildings and Park: There was nothing to report at this time.
C. Sidewalks and Lights: Debi asked Gary about the sidewalk in the 100 block of North Range Street. Gary stated that it was on the top of his list to be repaired.
D. Street and Alley: Monte also praised the Public Works guys on the snow removal.
E. Water and Sewer: Debi stated that the IRWA training session that had been scheduled for here; has been cancelled due to lack of interest. Debi stated that Gary and Travis would like to attend an IRWA Tech session on February 23rd and 24th in Effingham at a cost of $70 each. Debi stated that the committee will be having a meeting on January 12th at 5:30 pm. Bill asked if there was anymore information on the new water extension.
F. Finance: There was nothing to report at this time.
11. There was no other business this month.
12. Motion by Jack, with a second by Bill, to adjourn at 7:45 pm. All ayes, motion carried.
Ladora C. Boyd