Village of Oblong
The Village Board of Trustees met in regular session on June 1st, 2005, in the Farley Room of the Municipal Building.
Members Present: Mayor Randy Rich, Clerk Ladora Boyd, Trustee Rick Catt, Trustee Bonnie Finn, Trustee Rick Houdasheldt, Trustee Ken Russell, Trustee Sherry Catt, Trustee Debi Wilson and Treasurer Jan Miller.
Others Present: Public Works Superintendent Gary Lanter, Police Chief Chad Pusey, Tom Compton (Daily News), LeAnn Weir, Tony Myers (Old School Disposal) and Debra Myers (Old School Disposal).
1. The meeting was called to order at 7:00 pm by Mayor Rich.
2. Randy stated that he needed to amend the terms for Ladora Boyd, as Clerk, and Jan Miller, as Deputy Clerk and Treasurer, from one (1) year term to four (4) year term.
3. The Regular Board Meeting minutes of May 4th, 2005, were approved with a motion by Rick C. and a second by Debi. All ayes, motion carried.
4. There were no additions or deletions to the agenda this month.
5. There was one water bill customer at the meeting this month. LeAnn Weir stated that she could pay her late water bill on June 6th. The Board granted the extension.
6. Motion by Bonnie, with a second by Rick H., to adopt Ordinance #2005-0-481 “Appropriation Ordinance”. All ayes, motion carried.
7. Motion by Sherry, with a second by Bonnie, to adopt Ordinance #2005-0-482 “Prevailing Wage Ordinance”. All ayes, motion carried.
8. There was only one (1) bid for the solid waste disposal contract for the Village. The bid was from Old School Disposal. The bid was for $9.00 per residence per month and $8.00 per senior citizen (65 and older) residence per month. Their billing cycle would be quarterly. Tony from Old School Disposal asked if he received the bid could the Village make it a three (3) year contract instead of a one (1) year contract. There were a few questions before the decision was made. Motion by Rick H., with a second by Debi, to accept the bid from Old School Disposal with a three (3) year contract instead of a one (1) year contract and upon receipt of a Certificate of Liability insurance. All ayes, motion carried. Old School Disposal will begin on July 1st, 2005. The contract will be put up for bid in June, 2008.
9. Under Mayor's Comments: a.)Randy stated that he had talked to Roger Colmark (an investor of Mr. Piper). Randy stated that Mr. Colmark had sent a check to cover last year’s mowing bills and this year’s mowing bills. Mr. Colmark had some concerns about the amount of mowing costs. Randy stated that one of the concerns is that the mowing would done when it is not necessary. Randy mentioned that he would like to put together a board for the TIF area to help promote it. Sherry suggested a new sign for the TIF ground (Park Meadow Subdivision), because the other sign needs to be replaced possibly.
b.) Randy stated that he would like to recognize Mike Munson for his help when Jason had his accident. Ken stated that Marion Leggitt should also be recognized for calling in the accident so that Mike could hear it on the radio.
c.) Randy stated that Jan had found out at a meeting she had attended that there was a handbook for Boards. Randy stated that it is a guideline on procedures for Board members. Randy stated that every trustee has a copy to look over and if they feel there should be any changes or additions to the handbook. They should bring there suggest back to the whole board and then maybe the Board will vote to adopt the handbook.
10. The treasurer's report was given by Jan. Jan explained the change on the FICA Repo amount.
11. A motion by Sherry, with a second by Ken, to pay the bills that were on the warranty list and any utility bills, bills that will incur a late charge or reimbursements to employees. All ayes, motion carried.
12. Reports of Committees:
A Police: Rick H. stated that the committee had just finished having a meeting. The meeting was to go over the changes and updates to the Police Policy and Procedure Manual that Chad had done. Rick H. stated that it was the recommendation of the committee to accept the changes and updates. Motion by Rick H., with a second by Bonnie, to adopt the revised Police Policy and Procedure Manual. All ayes, motion carried.
Chad stated that there was an upcoming 40 hour class on Meth this month. The class will be held in Carbondale that is at no charge, because the class is funded by a grant. Chad ask for permission to attend. The Board granted permission for Chad to attend this class.
B. Buildings and Park: Sherry stated that everyone had a copy of the minutes from the committee meeting held on May 24th. Sherry went over the items that were discussed at the committee meeting. One of the items was the cleaning up and changes that she would like to see done for the horseshoe pits out at the Park. Sherry stated that she has seen that the fence had been taken down and the leaves cleaned-up. Sherry stated that Byron had left her a note requesting permission to paint the restrooms in the municipal building. They had not been painted for 5 years. Byron would also like to go ahead and order 12 new folding chairs to replace some older ones. Sherry asked if there were any questions about the minutes. Sherry asked Gary if he had put the restroom sign up at the Mini Park. Gary stated that he has ordered the signs and as soon as they come in he will put them up. Sherry stated that Paula is going to help with the watering of the landscaping that Township had done in the cemetery. Sherry stated that there was some discussion on moving the police evidence room upstairs on the northwest side. Randy stated that for now they’re just getting cost estimates on enclosing the area for the police evidence room. She mentioned that there was a folder on project information from Gary. She wanted to know if everyone had seen it. Sherry stated that she was pleased with the way the park is looking especially the landscaping. Sherry had heard that there had been some vandalism out at the park on memorial day weekend. Sherry stated that Paula is hoping to be able to mend the damage done to a redbud tree. Sherry stated that Paula stay right on it. Sherry said that she told Paula that there is probably someone that is wanting to thin out the hostas and would be willing to donate them. Bonnie stated that she had some hostas to thin out. Sherry said that Paula is really getting into the landscaping around the park and Paula is doing a real good job. Sherry wanted to know the other Trustees feelings about maybe sending Paula to some schooling, if Paula wants to go. Sherry said that she had not talked to Paula about the course yet. Sherry asked Gary what he thought about this idea. Gary said he thought it would be an excellent idea. Jan mentioned that the Home Extension offers class on gardening. Sherry stated that the committee had discussed extending the Village corporate limits for more of a tax base. The committee will look into the legal issues and find out the feelings of the people that would be involved if the Village limits were extended. (See copy of committee meeting minutes)
C. Sidewalks and Lights: Gary stated that he is waiting on a permit from IDOT to install a handicap sidewalk ramp at the corner of West Main and North Wilson streets. When Gary get the permit, he will put the job out for bids; he may add the section of sidewalk in front of Dr. Szigethy’s house next to the project site. Gary stated that there was a few more sidewalk repairs that have been done and some more have been added to the list he has of ones that need to be done and hopes to get most of them done this fiscal year.
D. Street and Alley: Randy stated that he was getting some information on mosquito spraying. Randy feels this committee will be the one to look into the spraying.
E. Water and Sewer: Ken stated that there had been a committee meeting on May 17th. Ken went over what had been discussed. He asked if there were any questions. (See copy of committee meeting minutes)
F. Finance: Rick C. stated that the committee had a meeting on May 26th. Rick stated that the committee had reviewed the Village Investment Policy and made some minor word changes. The committee recommended that the Board approve the policy. Motion by Rick C., with a second by Rick H., to adopt the Village Investment Policy. All ayes, motion carried.
Rick C. stated that he had a meeting with Tom Moore (Kemper CPA) and Brian Bradbury (Kemper CPA). Brian told Rick that he would be willing to come over any evening to explain municipal finance to any and all the board members at no cost ( this is part of the audit contract). Rick C. stated that he would set up a time for Brian to come over and let everyone know. Rick C. stated that the Board all knew that there had been some issues with the LOCIS software and hoped that they had been resolved, while the Representative from LOCIS was here last week. Hopefully the auditors will be back next week to finish the audit. Rick C. is unsure about the cost of having the LOCIS representative down here for two (2) days, but will wait until there is a bill. It is the opinion that the Village may have paid more than should have been paid. Rick C. stated that he had asked Jan and Ladora to make copies of the quarterly sales tax report. Rick C. stated that he appreciated the girls getting this information for him.
13. Under other business:
a.) Randy stated that there was an issue come up when Jason had his accident on the mower about the grace period with Workman’s Comp. The issue was that the employee has to be off work for more than 3 days before Workman’s Comp will reimburse the employer. The Village went ahead and paid Jason for the time he was off work after the mower accident. Jason did not lose any sick or vacation days. Jan stated that she and Ladora asked Gary’s opinion on what should be done. Randy stated that maybe the Finance Committee should go over the addition to Employee Guidelines and have it ready for approval next month. There were some questions about how the accident happened and possible reasons for it.
b.) Sherry asked where the Village was at on the two (2) condemned properties. Randy stated that the property at 402 South Range is about to go to court. The property at 405 South Garfield is in the preliminary time of fifteen (15) days grace period. Chad stated that he would have the yard mowed at South Garfield.
14. Motion by Sherry, with a second by Rick C., to adjourn at 8:14 pm. All ayes, motion carried.
Ladora C. Boyd