Village of Oblong
March 2, 2005
The Village Board of Trustees met in regular session on March 2nd, 2005, in the Farley Room of the Municipal Building.
Members Present: Mayor Keith Waldrop, Clerk Ladora Boyd, Trustee Bill Hatch, Trustee Bonnie Finn, Trustee Jack Gallion, Trustee Monte Gillaspie, Trustee Debi Wilson and Treasurer Jan Miller.
Absent: Trustee Sherry Catt.
Others Present: Public Works Superintendent Gary Lanter, Chief Chad Pusey, Tom Compton (Daily News), Charlotte Cannon (Oblong Gem), Patrol Officer Kristin Avery, Brenda Gillaspie, Bill Cox Jr., Norma Weir and Jamie Griffin.
1. The meeting was called to order at 7:00 pm by Mayor Waldrop.
2. The Regular Board Meeting minutes of February 2nd, 2005, were approved with a motion by Bonnie and a second by Jack. 5 ayes, motion carried.
3. There were no additions or deletions to the agenda this month.
4. There were two water bill customers at the meeting this month. Norma Weir came before the Board to ask for an extension on her delinquent water bill until Friday, March 4th. The Board granted the extension. Jamie Griffin came before the Board to ask for an extension on her delinquent water bill until Friday, March 4th. The Board granted the extension.
5. Motion by Bill, with a second by Debi, to allow Laborer’s Local #1197 to collect donations for The Therapy Center at the 4-way stop on May 14th, from 9 am to 1 pm. 5 ayes, motion carried.
6. Motion by Jack, with a second by Bonnie, to adopt Ordinance #2005-0-477 “An Ordinance to Condemn an Unsafe, Dangerous and Abandoned Building at 402 South Range Street, Oblong, Illinois”. 5 ayes, motion carried.
7. Motion by Jack, with a second by Bonnie, to adopt Ordinance #2005-0-478 “An Ordinance to Condemn an Unsafe, Dangerous and Abandoned Building at 405 South Garfield Street. Oblong, Illinois”. 5 ayes, motion carried.
8. Motion by Debi, with a second by Bill, to adopt Resolution #05-1 “A Resolution for the Adoption of the National Incident Management System”. 5 ayes, motion carried.
9. The Board granted the Modular Home Permit of Michael and Maureen Kessler.
10. Under Mayor's Comments: a.)Keith stated that the budget deadline is March 18th. Committee Meeting should be March 21st thru 25th. Finance Committee will then meet between March 28th thru 31st. The proposed budget will be in the Trustees’ box by April 1st, hopefully.
b.) Keith stated that Sharon Haley would like to use the Park on May 7th, from 9 am to 12 (noon) for St. Jude Bike-a-thon. Motion by Jack, with a second by Debi, to allow the St. Jude Bike-a-thon to be held out at the Park on May 7th. 5 ayes, motion carried.
c.) Keith stated that Mr. Knight’s house on East Main Street and South Roosevelt is down and gone. Keith also stated the Baker house that burnt on West Main is coming done and will be cleaned up soon.
11. The treasurer's report was given by Jan. Jan explain the CD List Report. There was some question about the amount in the checking account.
12. A motion by Bonnie, with a second by Jack, to pay the bills that were on the warranty list and any utility bills, bills that will incur a late charge or reimbursements to employees. There was some discussion on the Connor & Connor bill. Ayes: Bonnie, Jack, Monte, Debi. Nays: Bill. The motion carried.
13. Reports of Committees:
A Police: Jack stated that everyone had a copy of the monthly police report. Jack stated that there are several training session this month. On March 1st, the Chief attended a tactical shoot training session in Effingham. On March 5th, the Chief will be attending a Rapid Response to Active School Shooting. On March 8th, Officer Avery and Officer Pine will be attending a Drugs that Impair Driving training session. On March 21st - 25th, the Chief and Officer Pine will be attending a Basic SWAT School/Terrorism at PTI (Police Training Institute) in Champaign, Illinois. Jack stated that there will be a committee meeting on March 9th, at 10 am to discuss the department budget. Keith mentioned that the Police Department has received a grant for $15,311 towards putting computers in the squad cars.
B. Buildings and Park: Gary stated that the basketball goals are at the shop building and the guys are working on getting the goal posts ready to be painted. Gary stated that the pipe for goal posts was free.
C. Sidewalks and Lights: Gary stated that as soon as the weather permits the guys will start doing some repairs on the sidewalks where they have had to dig up for water leaks. Bill asked about sidewalks having handicap accessability around the village.
D. Street and Alley: Monte mentioned that the public works guys have been filling in potholes and working on the street sweeper replacing brooms. Gary stated that they had finished widening the Ridge Lane corner so that the delivery trucks can make the turn without getting off of the street. Keith stated about the southbound traffic on South Adams being dangerous with there being no stop sign. Motion by Bonnie, with a second by Monte, to make the intersection at West Texas and South Adams a 4-way stop instead of a 3-way stop. 5 ayes, motion carried.
E. Water and Sewer: There was nothing to report at this time.
F. Finance: Jan stated that there will be changes with the look of the proposed budget sheets, so that the Trustees will be introduced to the LOCIS system.
14. Other business: Ladora stated that there will be a SEICTA meeting this month sometime and was wanting approval for her and Jan to attend. There was no objections. Gary stated that the IRWA contacted him about the rescheduling on the cancelled meeting back in January. They are shooting for sometime in October.
15. Motion by Jack, with a second by Bonnie, to adjourn at 7:54 pm. 5 ayes, motion carried.
Ladora C. Boyd