Village of Oblong
May 4, 2005 Meeting Munitues
The Village Board of Trustees met in regular session on May 4th, 2005, in the Farley Room of the Municipal Building.
Members Present: Mayor Randy Rich, Clerk Ladora Boyd, Trustee Rick Catt, Trustee Bonnie Finn, Trustee Rick Houdasheldt, Trustee Ken Russell, Trustee Sherry Catt, Trustee Debi Wilson and Treasurer Jan Miller.
Others Present: Public Works Superintendent Gary Lanter, Chief Chad Pusey, Tom Compton (Daily News), Charlotte Cannon (Oblong Gem), Patrol Officer Kristin Avery, Nancy Russell, Mike Johnson, Pam Johnson, Bill Hatch, Summer Johnson, Samantha Johnson, Hayden Johnson, Aireca Rich, Ashley Rich, Andrea Rich, BreAnne Wheeler, Sara Brotherton, Bo Brotherton, Daniel J. Fritchie and Patrol Officer Randy Pine.
1. The Village Clerk swore in Randy Rich as Mayor, Rick Catt, Rick Houdasheldt and Ken Russell as Trustees before the Board Meeting was called to order.
2. The meeting was called to order at 7:03 pm by Mayor Rich.
3. Mayor Rich reappointed Ladora Boyd as Clerk, Jan Miller as Deputy Clerk and Treasurer, Chad Pusey as Police Chief and Gary Lanter as Public Works Superintendent with the boards approval for one (1) year from this date.
4. The Regular Board Meeting minutes of April 6th, 2005, were approved with a motion by Sherry and a second by Bonnie. All ayes, motion carried.
5. There were no additions or deletions to the agenda this month.
6. There were no water bill customers at the meeting this month.
7. Motion by Debi, with a second by Sherry, to go into executive session at 7:05 pm to discuss personnel. All ayes, motion carried.
8. Motion by Debi, with a second by Rick C., to come out of executive session at 7:24 pm. All ayes, motion carried.
9. Motion by Bonnie, with a second by Debi, to hire Jared Pepmeier, Jesse Randolph and Jesse Stephens as summer help. Ayes: Rick C., Bonnie, Rick H., Ken, Debi. Nays: Sherry. Motion carried.
10. Under Mayor's Comments: a.)Randy stated that he would like to thank Keith Waldrop for his eight (8) years of service to the Village as a trustee and mayor.
b.) Randy stated that the Village had received a letter from Illinois EPA that complimented the new Water Tower, Water System and the Water Department personnel.
c.) Randy stated that the Oblong Antique Tractor and Engine Club would like to use the park from August 12th - 14th. Motion by Bonnie, with a second by Sherry, to grant the club permission to use the park. All ayes, motion carried.
d.) Randy mentioned that during National Nursing Home Week, Ridgeview will be having some special events as follows: May 7th - Mother’s Day Coffee & Donuts; May 9th - Friendship Wagon will be delivering cookies to the Seniors of Crawford County; May 10th - Trivia Bowl at Ridgeview; May 11th - Ridgeview Community Appreciation Day (serving Hamburgers & Hot Dogs from 11 am to 1:30 pm) K-9 unit will be at the nursing home at 12:30 pm; May 12th - Wolfe Family Singers (Southern Gospel) 7 pm; and May 13th Hot Dog Stand (in front of the Oblong IGA serving from 10 am to 1 pm).
11. The treasurer's report was given by Jan. Jan explained the changes on CD List Report.
12. A motion by Debi, with a second by Ken, to pay the bills that were on the warranty list and any utility bills, bills that will incur a late charge or reimbursements to employees. All ayes, motion carried.
13. Reports of Committees:
A Police: No report at this time.
B. Buildings and Park: No report at this time.
C. Sidewalks and Lights: Gary stated that the department had done some minor repairs on the sidewalk on West Illinois Street and work on a storm drain that is collapsing under a section of sidewalk on West Indiana Street. Gary stated that the repair of the sidewalk on North Range Street was completed. Gary stated that there was a few more sidewalk repairs that he hopes to get completed this month.
D. Street and Alley: Gary stated that he had received a request for a handicap parking space down at Pizza & More. He stated that if the owner is willing to pay for the sign, the department would place it on the north side of West Indiana across the street from Pizza & More. The board approved the suggestion.
E. Water and Sewer: On May 12th at 9am, there is a meeting at Effingham sponsored by IDOT that Gary would like to attend. The board granted permission. Randy mentioned that Mr. Piper had contacted him, and he met with him this afternoon. Randy feels that Mr. Piper is really wanting to make efforts to generate some interest in the Park Meadow Subdivision. On May 25th, there is a training session sponsored by Illinois Rural Water Association (IRWA) that Gary would like to send Travis to the session. The board granted permission.
F. Finance: No report at this time.
14. Under other business:
a.) Debi wanted to thank everyone for the flowers and thoughts for the death of her sister.
b.) Tom Compton (Daily News) wanted to thank the police department for their help with an article he wrote about the tasers.
c.) Debi had a question about the letter from the Village Attorney on the condemn properties. There has been some complaints about the yard at 405 South Garfield Street. Randy stated that his under-standing was that the Village could have it mowed then put a lien on the property for the expense. The Police Chief will look into having someone mow the yard.
d.) Sherry asked about the property at 506 East Indiana Street. The Police Chief stated that it was his understanding that it is in the process of being sold.
15. Motion by Debi, with a second by Bonnie, to adjourn at 7:48 pm. All ayes, motion carried.
Ladora C. Boyd