Village of Oblong
October 5, 2005
The Village Board of Trustees met in regular session on October 5th, 2005, in the Farley Room of the Municipal Building.
Members Present: Mayor Randy Rich, Clerk Ladora Boyd, Trustee Rick Catt, Trustee Bonnie Finn, Trustee Rick Houdasheldt, Trustee Ken Russell, Trustee Sherry Catt, Trustee Debi Wilson and Treasurer Jan Miller.
Others Present: Public Works Superintendent Gary Lanter, Police Chief Chad Pusey, Tom Compton (Daily News), Dale Davis, Ron Finn, Terry Manhart, Richard Williams, Tony Myers, Rita Baud and Paul Perrine, Jr.
1. The meeting was called to order at 7:00 pm by Mayor Rich.
2. The Regular Board Meeting minutes of September 7th, 2005, and the Special Board Meeting minutes of September 28th, 2005, were approved with a motion by Rick H. and a second by Sherry. All ayes, motion carried.
3. There was one addition to the agenda this month. Terry Manhart, Richard Williams and Ron Finn wanted to be put on the agenda regarding 4-wheelers in Oblong.
4. There were no water bill customers at the meeting this month.
5. Tony Myers, Old School Disposal, came before the board to talk about the fall clean-up and set up a date for it. Tony passed out a handout stating the following:
Village of Oblong 2005 Fall Clean-up
Old School Disposal
Fall clean-up is scheduled for October 14, 2005, and will include paid customers only. One appliance per household, no yard waste or construction material will be picked up. All items should be bagged, boxed or bundled. Thank You for your cooperation.
Tony will not pick-up car parts or tires.
The Board had no problems with the date.
6. Paul Perrine, Jr. came before the board to ask for a 30 day extension to finish cleaning up on the property at 402 South Range Street. He also would like to build a new lean-to so that he can store what he has saved in lumber from the house. The Board granted Paul's request.
7. Randy asked if Terry , Richard or Ron had anything regarding 4-wheelers being ridden on the side streets. Terry stated that they had not received any information yet. He stated that they would like to either withdraw the request or get an extension. Randy stated that he has found out that the County, State and Secretary of State Police would write tickets for violation of state law. Also, that the Village Attorney will not draft an ordinance to allow the 4-wheelers on the side streets. Rick H. stated that due to the liability that is why the Village Attorney will not draft the ordinance. Randy stated that, if there is no other input then, the issue will be put to rest. Randy thanked the gentlemen for coming.
Terry stated that he had another issue to discuss. The issue is the traffic on West Indiana from the Grade School parking lot to South Adams. Terry wonders if there could be an additional stop sign to slow the traffic down some. Randy stated that he would have the Street/Alley Committee with the Police Chief look into the situation and report back to the whole board.
8. Motion by Rick C., with a second by Debi, to adopted the Freedom of Information Policy and also the Rules & Regulations of Freedom of Information. All ayes, motion carried.
9. Motion by Bonnie, with a second by Debi, to set trick or treat night for the Village of Oblong on Monday, October 31st, from 6 pm to 9 pm and only where the porch light is on. All ayes, motion carried.
10. Under Mayor's Comments: Randy stated that the Village had received the 2004 Safety Award from Illinois Municipal League/Risk Management Association. Randy stated that Ladora had picked it up for the Village while at the IML Annual Conference in Chicago.
11. The treasurer's report was given by Jan.
12. There was some discussion on the bill from the credit card company. Randy stated that he will contact the company to try and get the late fee and interest removed. There was some other questions about some bills. Motion by Rick H., with a second by Ken, to pay the bills that were on the warranty list and any utility bills, bills that will incur a late charge or reimbursements to employees. All ayes, motion carried.
13. Reports of Committees:
A Police: Rick H. stated that the committee had a meeting on September 27th to go over the applications that were turned in for the position of two (2) part-time positions that were advertised for. The Village, in a special board meeting, hired two part-time officers. One of the individuals is already PTI certified. The other has started his PTI training. The one in training did pass his power test last Saturday and will be taking his firearms testing this weekend. The Chief stated that he will be attending a session on October 12th sponsored by ILES, this is a monthly training session in Mt. Vernon. On October 25th thru 28th, there will be hazmat training (required) in Champaign. Chief stated that this year the police department is going to start a new policy during Fall Follies. The policy is that there will be no chair being set up before 5 pm on Main Street between Grant Street and Adams Street. He stated that any chair set up before 5 pm will be picked up and taken to the Police Department Office. Chief stated that everyone had a copy of the monthly report.
B. Buildings and Park: Gary stated that there had been four (4) benches purchased for the Park this past month. Two (2) of the benches were paid for by the Oblong Lake Restoration Committee. Gary stated that he and the guys will be pouring concrete for the bench pads.
C. Sidewalks and Lights: No report at this time.
D. Street and Alley: No report at this time.
E. Water and Sewer: Ken stated that the committee had a meeting on September 26th to go over a few things. 1. Reviewed that audit report on the Water and Sewer portion. After looking over the finance the committee decided to review the finance again in January. 2. Phase II of the water extension had been postponed due to the increase in the estimate (due to more people signing than originally)and lack of grants and funding at this time. The committee decided to have Connor & Connor drafted a letter to the people, who had signed the petition to connect to the Village's water, stating why at this time the Village is not pursuing this project at this time. The Board will see and approve the letter before it goes out. 3. Hardin-ville Water Company is now up and running. Ken stated that he had talked with Mike Birch. Mike stated that Hardinville would like four (4) to six (6) months of running to get an estimate on how much cost of chemicals is going to be before setting a price per gallion. 4. On September 28th, bids were opened for the Mary Dennis water extension; which is the rehabilitation of the water line starting at the corner of Mary Dennis' and going east. There were three (3) bids the lowest was David Krick's for $14, 033.60. Motion by Ken, with a second by Debi, to accept Krick's bid of $14,033.60. All ayes, motion carried. Gary asked permission to send two people to a Location Seminar in Marshall on October 12th, at a cost of $25 each. The Board granted permission.
F. Finance: Rick C. stated that Jodi from Kemper CPA will be here on October 10th, to assist with the installation of the new software and then begin putting in the months starting with May. Jodi suggested to Jan that her and Ladora do it a month at a time. There will probably be a committee meeting after everything has been entered.
14. Under other business:
a.) Randy stated that Chad has requested a SAM's Club card for the Police Department. The Board was in agreement with this request.
15. Motion by Rick H., with a second by Rick C., to adjourn at 7:40 pm. All ayes, motion carried.
Ladora C. Boyd