Village of Oblong
March 1, 2006
The Village Board of Trustees met in regular session on March 1st, 2006, in the Farley Room of the Municipal Building.
Members Present: Mayor Randy Rich, Clerk Ladora Boyd, Trustee Rick Catt, Trustee Bonnie Finn, Trustee Rick Houdasheldt, Trustee Ken Russell and Treasurer Jan Miller.
Absent: Trustee Sherry Catt and Trustee Debi Wilson.
Others Present: Public Works Superintendent Gary Lanter, Police Chief Chad Pusey and Tom Compton (Daily News).
1. The meeting was called to order at 7:00 pm by Mayor Rich.
2. The Regular Board Meeting minutes of February 1st, 2006, were approved with a motion by Rick C. and a second by Bonnie. Four (4) ayes, motion carried.
3. There were no additions or deletions to the agenda this month.
4. There were no water bill customers at the meeting this month.
5. Motion by Ken, with a second by Rick H., to allow Laborer’s Local #1197 to collect donations for The Therapy Center at the 4-way stop on May 6th, from 9 am to 1 pm. Four (4) ayes, motion carried.
6. Under Mayor's Comments:
A. Randy stated that he had written down the change in wording for section 23-1-6 and had copies given to the Trustees. Randy stated that he had Ladora to make sure each Trustee had a copy of the original with a copy of the change. There was some discussion on the matter. Motion by Rick C., with a second by Ken, to amend Section 23-1-6 to read as follow: SKIRTING. Skirting shall be used to conceal all underpinning, plumbing and support piers whether on a permanent foundation or otherwise. All skirting shall be of masonry, metal or other material approved by the Mayor or Police Chief prior to and after installation. All skirting shall be installed on all manufactured housing units within sixty (60) days of the placement of the unit. Four (4) ayes, motion carried.
B. Randy stated that all the department heads have been told to have budget figures turned into the finance committee by March 13th.
C. Randy stated that he has been in contact with the owner of the building at 111 South Range Street. Since that time, the Oblong Fire Chief has issued a letter condemning the building due to a safety hazard. Randy has given the lawyer the letter and hopefully by now the lawyer has sent out a letter about the condemnation. There was some discussion.
7. Jan stated that everyone had a copy of the monthly reports. Jan wanted to know if any of the Trustees had a question about the reports.
8. Motion by Rick H., with a second by Bonnie, to pay the bills that were on the warranty list and any utility bills, bills that will incur a late charge or reimbursements to employees. Four (4) ayes, motion carried.
9. Reports of Committees:
A Police: Rick H. stated that there will be a committee meeting on Monday, March 6th at 6 pm. Chad stated that there will be some training sessions this month. On March 7th, there will be a training session on Protective Orders. On March 8th, there will be the monthly SRT training session. On March 29th, there will be a SRT Fire Arms training session.
B. Buildings and Park: No Report.
C. Sidewalks and Lights: No Report.
D. Street and Alley: No Report.
E. Water and Sewer: Ken stated that he has been working with Gary and Dale on items in the budget and figures.
F. Finance: Rick C. stated that the committee had met on Tuesday, February 7th, everyone had a copy of the minutes. There will be a committee meeting probably on March 15th. Rick stated that Jan and Ladora would like to attend their quarterly SECICTA meeting in Greenup on March 9th. The board granted permission.
10. Under other business:
Bonnie asked if it would be okay for the Lake Committee to have Byron help unload some items that the committee has ordered for Christmas in the Park if Bonnie could not. The board had no problem with the request. Bonnie stated that a business owner had approached her about having some lighted decorations (Snowflakes) instead of the banners in the downtown area. Bonnie told the owner that he should talk to the Chamber of Commerce. Randy stated that he would write the request down and look at the budget before committing to anything.
11. Motion by Rick C., with a second by Bonnie, to adjourn at 7:17 pm. Four (4) ayes, motion carried.
Ladora C. Boyd