Village of Oblong
April 5, 2006 DRAFT MINUTES
The Village Board of Trustees met in regular session on April 5th, 2006, in the Farley Room of the Municipal Building.
Members Present: Mayor Randy Rich, Clerk Ladora Boyd, Trustee Rick Catt, Trustee Bonnie Finn, Trustee Rick Houdasheldt, Trustee Ken Russell, Trustee Sherry Catt, Trustee Debi Wilson and Treasurer Jan Miller.
Others Present: Public Works Superintendent Gary Lanter, Police Chief Chad Pusey, Tom Compton (Daily News), Public Works Office Manager Dale Davis, Carolyne Higgins, Jerry Adams, Charlotte Cannon (Oblong Gem), Kim Priest, Kim Shafer and Brandy Sechrest.
1. The meeting was called to order at 7:00 pm by Mayor Rich.
2. The Regular Board Meeting minutes of March 1st, 2006, were approved with a motion by Sherry and a second by Debi. All ayes, motion carried.
3. There were no additions or deletions to the agenda this month.
4. There was one water bill customers at the meeting this month. Ms. Priest came before the board to ask for an extension on her water bill. She stated that she would be able to pay the bill on Friday, April 14th. The board grant her request.
5. Carolyne Higgins came before the board to state her plans for repairing the building located at 111 South Range Street. She has hired Mark Walker a masonry contractor to rebuild the back corner of the building; Larry Sibel to repair the roof; and Rick Schroyer to do the inside carpentry. She stated that Mr. Walker told her that he would be starting either Friday, April 7th, or Monday, April 10th, on the rebuilding and would probably be finished in two (2) weeks. She asked the board for an extension. The board stated that if they saw some major progress; they would be willing to give the mayor permission to give the extension until next month’s meeting. The deadline for now is April 15th. The board would like to have copies of the gentlemen’s liability and worker’s comp insurance. Randy stated that he would call them and ask for their insurance.
6. Motion by Rick C., with a second by Sherry, to approve the “Illinois Commerce Commission Stipulated Agreement No. 1153" and to appoint Randy Rich as the designated agent. All ayes, motion carried.
7. Motion by Bonnie, with a second by Rick H., to adopt Ordinance #2006-0-485 “An Ordinance to Amend Chapter 23, Manufactured Housing Code, Article I - General Provisions, Section 23-1-6, Skirting, of the Revised Code of Ordinances of Oblong, Illinois”. All ayes, motion carried.
8. Motion by Rick C., with a second by Debi, to adopt Ordinance #2006-0-486 “An Ordinance to Amend Chapter 38, Utilities, Article II - Generally, Division I - Utility Service Regulations, Section 38-2-8, Billing; Utility Shut-off; Hearing, Letter “F”, and Division II - User Provisions, Section 38-2-20, Utility Deposits - Renters, Letter “A”, of the Revised Code of Ordinances of Oblong, Illinois”. All ayes, motion carried.
9. Motion by Rick H., with a second by Bonnie, to adopt Ordinance #2006-0-487 “An Ordinance to Amend Chapter 38, Utilities, Article III - Water System Code, Division X - Water Service Charges, Section 38-3-87, Cost of Tap and Water Service Connections, and Section 38-3-88, Water Rates, of the Revised Code of Ordinances of Oblong, Illinois”. All ayes, motion carried.
10. Motion by Ken, with a second by Sherry, to adopt Ordinance #2006-0-488 “An Ordinance to Amend Chapter 38, Utilities, Article III - Water System Code, Division X - Water Service Charges, Section 38-3-86, Water Service Charges, Letter “B”, “C” and “D”, of the Revised Code of Ordinances of Oblong, Illinois”. All ayes, motion carried.
11. Motion by Bonnie, with a second by Sherry, to allow the St. Judes Bike-a-thon use of the Park on May 6th, from 9 am to 12 pm (noon). All ayes, motion carried.
12. Rick C. wanted to thank everybody for the work on the Village budget figures. Rick also wanted to thank Ken for the countless hours he spent on the water rates changes.
Motion by Rick C., with a second by Rick H., to approve the budget as printed. All ayes, motion carried.
13. Motion by Ken, with a second by Rick C., to adopt Ordinance #2006-0-489 the “Appropriation Ordinance”. All ayes, motion carried.
14. Under Mayor's Comments:
A. Randy stated that it has come to his attention about a street right of way being blocked. There is a fence in the middle of the street right of way. Randy stated that he has talked to the Village attorney on this matter. Randy stated that in the Village Code Book on page 777, Section 33-2-9, Obstructing Street, Letter (B) “No person shall place or cause to be placed or erected on any public ground, or in any public street, alley or sidewalk in the Village, any debris, materials or obstruction, except as may be permitted by this Code.” There was some discuss on this matter. Rick H. feels that the Village need to contact the Village Engineers and have them come over and stake out the street, so that the Village has a better understanding of the placement of the street. Upon the engineer staking the street right-of- way, the property owner will have 30 days to remove the fence. The Street/Alley committee will then get with the Village engineer to decide where parking might be allowed.
B. Randy stated that the Village will be accepting applications for summer help until May 3rd, and will be hiring the summer help at the next month’s meeting. Randy gave the Street/Alley Committee the responsibility to draw up the Summer Help Hiring Guidelines.
C. Randy stated that Spring Clean-Up will be April 21st. Randy stated that Tony Myers of Old School Disposal has request that everything be bagged, boxed or bundled. He will only pick-up one appliance per household.
D. Randy stated that Debi had handed him a flyer on Sunrise Breakfast Buffet at Ridgeview Care Center. This is open to the public and will be held Friday, April 14th, from 7 am to 9am.
15. Jan stated that everyone had a copy of the monthly reports.
16. Motion by Sherry, with a second by Bonnie, to pay the bills that were on the warranty list and any utility bills, bills that will incur a late charge or reimbursements to employees. All ayes, motion carried.
17. Reports of Committees:
A Police: Motion by Rick H., with a second by Sherry, to accept the Letter of Resignation from Patrol Officer Kristin Avery. All ayes, motion carried.
Rick H. stated that there will be a training session this Saturday, April 8th, at Mattoon. Chad and Paul will be a attending. This session is mandatory for Paul, but not for Chad. Chad has been wanting to attend this session for the last four (4) years but has had other commends in the past.
Motion by Rick H., with a second by Ken, to hire Rodney Eubank as a part-time patrol officer for the Village. All ayes motion carried.
B. Buildings and Park: Sherry stated that Gary had gotten the mulch to do the mulching around the flower beds. Sherry asked if the grass was growing in the horseshoe court? Gary stated that the grass was coming along.
C. Sidewalks and Lights: Gary stated that Tim Attaway had ask about street lighting at the corner of East Main Street and South Grant Street. Gary stated that Ameren turn the light more towards East Main Street and put in a higher wattage light bulb, so that it is not a danger to people trying to cross to the Funeral Home from the parking lot across the street.
D. Street and Alley: No Report.
E. Water and Sewer: Ken stated that he had composed a letter that will be sent out with next month’s bills expanding the changes and why. Motion by Ken, with a second by Rick C., that the letter be sent to all Oblong water customers. All ayes, motion carried.
Ken also stated that the committee is recommending some changes in certain charges that are not covered in the ordinances. They are as follows: Bad Check Return Fee from twenty dollars ($20) to thirty dollars ($30) and Sewer Camera Fee from fifty dollars ($50) to sixty dollars ($60). The committee is also recommending having the old water tower lot appraised and then seek bids on the lot to be open at the next month’s meeting. Motion by Ken, with a second by Rick H., to make the changes in the fees and get the appraisal of the old water tower lot. All ayes, motion carried.
F. Finance: Rick C. stated that everything was covered earlier.
18. Under other business:
Randy stated that he had a couple of things.
1. The Deathrage Medical Fund that was left to the Village for anyone who might bring in some type of medical business. Randy stated that the Village had received a letter requesting some aid from the Village if possible. Randy read the letter. The letter states “I am currently in the process of opening a chiropractic clinic, and I am aware of a grant that is available for medical purposes located in Oblong. I would be grateful for any amount that is available for the clinic.” Signed “Yours in Health, Crystal L. Ballew, D.C.” Randy stated that there had never been any discussion on how to portion out the grant. He wanted to know if any of the Board had an idea. Rick C. suggested setting a cap of five thousand dollars ($5,000) with the stipulation that the business had to stay open for five (5) years in Oblong. He stated that the attorney would need to draw the agreement up. Ken feels that since the money is there for the use of medical business; the Village should help the people out if possible. He agrees with the amount and the stipulation, also. Randy stated with the Board’s approval he will talk with the Village Attorney and get some papers drawn up and then by the next meeting the Board can vote on giving a grant out. Ken stated that maybe before talking to the attorney, someone need to see if Ms. Ballew would still be interested in the grant with the stipulation. Rick C. stated that he would talk to her and then get back with Randy.
2. Randy wanted to thank the Board and everyone who helped with the budget process.
19. Motion by Sherry, with a second by Ken, to adjourn at 7:51 pm. All ayes, motion carried.
Ladora C. Boyd