Village of Oblong
The Village Board of Trustees met in regular session on May 3rd, 2006, in the Farley Room of the Municipal Building.
Members Present: Mayor Randy Rich, Clerk Ladora Boyd, Trustee Rick Catt, Trustee Bonnie Finn, Trustee Rick Houdasheldt, Trustee Ken Russell, Trustee Sherry Catt, Trustee Debi Wilson and Treasurer Jan Miller.
Others Present: Public Works Superintendent Gary Lanter, Police Chief Chad Pusey, Tom Compton (Daily News), Public Works Office Manager Dale Davis and Jamie Griffin.
1. The meeting was called to order at 7:00 pm by Mayor Rich.
2. The Regular Board Meeting minutes of April 5th, 2006, were approved as amended (the resolution number was noted behind the motion to sell the lot in the 100 block of South Adams Street) with a motion by Rick C. and a second by Bonnie. All ayes, motion carried.
3. There were no additions or deletions to the agenda this month.
4. There was one water bill customers at the meeting this month. Ms. Griffin came before the board to ask for an extension on her water bill. She stated that she would be able to pay the bill on Friday, May 5th. The board granted her request.
5. Motion by Rick H., with a second by Rick C., to adopt Ordinance #2006-0-490 “Payroll Ordinance”. The vote was done by Roll Call as follows: Rick C. - aye, Bonnie - nay, Rick H. - aye, Ken - abstain, Sherry - aye, Debi - aye. Motion carried.
6. Randy stated that the Village was ready to open bids for the property. Randy asked if any bids had been received. Ken stated that the Village had not received any bids for the property in the 100 block of South Adams Street. Ken stated that he had the appraisal and copies of the advertisement from the papers on the notice to accept bids; that he would give to the Village Clerk. Debi ask what the appraised amount was for the property. Ken stated that the appraised amount was $2,000.
7. Randy stated that the Antique Tractor and Engine Club would like to use the Park on August 10th, 11th, 12th and 13th for their annual show/meet. Motion by Sherry, with a second by Ken, to grant them permission to use the park. All ayes, motion carried.
8. Under Mayor's Comments:
Randy stated that he wanted to thank everyone for the budget process going smoothly. He stated that he had nothing else at this time.
9. Jan stated that everyone had a copy of the monthly reports from the end of last month which was also the end report for Fiscal Year 2005-2006. Jan said the only item not on the reports was the statement interest because that is not posted until she has reconciled with the bank statement.
10. Motion by Debi, with a second by Sherry, to pay the bills that were on the warranty list and any utility bills, bills that will incur a late charge or reimbursements to employees. All ayes, motion carried.
11. Reports of Committees:
A Police: Rick H. stated that there will be an annual firearms qualification this month for the officers and the Chief. Randy stated that the Village had received the first reimburse on Chad’s training for ILEAS. Chad stated that the Board had a copy of last month’s activities and that the service calls were up.
B. Buildings and Park: Sherry stated that there was no report at this time.
C. Sidewalks and Lights: Debi stated that there was no report at this time.
D. Street and Alley: Bonnie stated that the committee met on April 17th to go over the job description for summer help. Motion by Bonnie, with a second by Rick C., to accept the job description. All ayes, motion carried.
Bonnie stated that from now on the job description will be handed out with the revised application plus an envelope. The envelope is so the person can return their application in a sealed envelope and not for the public to view.
Bonnie stated that the committee met with a representative from IDOT about the Route 33 project last night. Randy stated that gentleman was a developer. The project date is 2007 for bid letting and 2008 for work to begin. Randy stated that they made some suggestion on how the Village would pay for the moving of water and sewer lines.
Bonnie stated that the committee met with John from Connor & Connor, Inc. this evening at the corner of North Jackson and West Iowa streets about the street right of way and property lines. Randy stated that there were markers set showing the street.
E. Water and Sewer: Ken wanted to thank Dale and Gary and Paula for getting the letters ready to mail to the water customer explaining the rate change so that they could be sent out with this month’s bills.
F. Finance: Rick C. stated that everything was covered earlier.
12. Under other business:
Jan stated that the auditors will be here the week of May 15th.
13. Motion by Rick H., with a second by Sherry, to go into executive session at 7:18 pm to discuss personnel.
14. Motion by Debi, with a second by Rick C., to come out of executive session at 7:34 pm.
15. Motion by Bonnie, with a second by Debi, to hire Jared Pepmeier and John Wayne Whiston for summer help; also, in case there is a problem or one of the boys does not work out the board will let Gary replace with one of the other applicants that had turned in an application for summer help. All ayes, motion carried.
16. Motion by Rick C., with a second by Debi, to adjourn at 7:36 pm. All ayes, motion carried.
Ladora C. Boyd