Village of Oblong
July 5th, 2006
The Village Board of Trustees met in regular session on July 5th, 2006, in the Farley Room of the Municipal Building.
Members Present: Mayor Pro-Tem Rick Catt, Clerk Ladora Boyd, Trustee Bonnie Finn, Trustee Ken Russell, Trustee Sherry Catt, Trustee Debi Wilson and Treasurer Jan Miller.
Absent: Mayor Randy Rich and Trustee Rick Houdasheldt.
Others Present: Public Works Superintendent Gary Lanter, Police Chief Chad Pusey, Tom Compton (Daily News), Mike McReynolds, Charlotte Cannon (Oblong Gem), Kathy Ditch, Jodi Truitt (Kemper CPA) and Adrienne Kelley.
1. The meeting was called to order at 7:00 pm by Mayor Pro-Tem Catt.
2. The Regular Board Meeting minutes of June 7th, 2006, were approved with a motion by Bonnie and a second by Ken. Four (4) ayes, motion carried.
3. There were no additions or deletions to the agenda this month.
4. There were two water bill customers at the meeting this month.
Mr. McReynolds asked to be allowed to pay his water bill in two (2) installments.
Ms. Kelley asked if her mother, Jamie Griffin, could pay her water bill in two (2) installments. 1st half on July 7th and 2nd half on July 20th.
The Board granted both requests.
5. Kathy Ditch came before the Board to talk about the parking on North Range Street. She has spoken to Mayor Rich and he informed her that she needed to come to the Board Meeting. She talked about having the Board look into different possibilities instead of totally prohibiting parking on both side of North Range from Ohio Street north to the Village limits; such as No Truck Parking. She stated that she does not have enough parking space in her driveway. She also stated that the two hundred (200) block of North Range is only inches wider than the three hundred (300) block of North Range except where the Post Office is. She mentioned that the church parking lot is private; the Post Office parking lot is government and there can be no parking in either one. There was some discussion about some solutions to the lack of parking. Ms. Ditch stated that she will talk to the owner of the property north of her’s to see if they agree where the property line is; so that she could possibly build a second drive. Ms. Ditch will come back to the August Board Meeting. Rick said that he had talked with Randy before he left for vacation.
Motion by Ken, with a second by Bonnie, to table the adoption of the ordinance to amend Chapter 24, Motor Vehicles, Article IV - Parking Rules of the Revised Code of Ordinances of Oblong, Illinois”, until next Board Meeting. Four (4) ayes, motion carried.
6. Jodi Truitt from Kemper CPA (Village Auditors) came to the meeting to give a brief summary of the financial status of the Village after the completion of the audit for Fiscal Year 2006. Jodi mentioned that she had met with the Finance Committee prior to the Board Meeting tonight. Jodi stated that after the Board looks over the audit report and has any question they may feel free to contract her or Jan with the questions.
7. Motion by Bonnie, with a second by Sherry, to adopt Ordinance #2006-0-493 “An Ordinance to Condemn an Unsafe Building at 604 East Kentucky Street. Four (4) ayes, motion carried.
8. Sherry stated that there is still a mess behind Ms. Higgins building located at 111 South Range Street. Sherry stated that it has been a month and it still is not cleaned-up. Gary stated that Randy called and left a message on Ms. Higgins answering machine last Thursday (June 29th) that she had until July 10th, to get the mess cleaned-up. If Ms. Higgins has not done this then Gary is to get a dumpster and clean the mess up and the Village will then send a bill to her. If she does not pay the bill, then Randy stated that the Village would put a lien on the property.
9. Motion by Debi, with a second by Ken, to approve the Modular Home Application of Wilfred and Shirley Cross (the location is 202/204 South Garfield). Four (4) ayes, motion carried.
10. Under Mayor's Comments:
Rick stated that Randy had left an item to be brought before the Board. The Village has received a renewal from the Illinois Sheriffs’ Association for $75 membership fee. There was some discussion about this item. Motion by Bonnie, with a second by Debi, to pay the membership fee. Ayes: Bonnie, Debi. Nays: Ken, Sherry, Rick. Motion did not carry due to the vote.
There was some discussion on a previous matter (William “Jack” Fancil Memorial Golf Hole Sponsorship) that was voted on last Board Meeting (June 7th). Rick stated that it could be brought up again but since it was already voted on; he felt the matter was settled.
11. Reports of Committees:
A Police: Chad stated that the Board all has a copy of the monthly report. Chad stated that the last week of this month is Fair Week; so there will be longer hours for the department. Chad mentioned that there will be a Firearms Qualification on the last Friday of this month. Rick stated that Paul Maxwell has finished his part-time academy training. Rick stated that when Paul was hired he was told that he would receive a $1 increase upon completion of training. Motion by Sherry, with a second by Bonnie, to raise Paul’s hourly rate from $9 to $10 effective July 3rd, 2006. Four (4) ayes, motion carried.
B. Buildings and Park: It was mention about the graffiti out at the Oblong Park. Chad stated that he had pictures if any of the Board wanted to see them to let him know after the Board Meeting. Sherry mentioned that she had heard that there was some youths that are throwing rocks at the fence on the south side of the mini park. Chad stated that he knew about it and was looking into the situation. Gary mentioned that all but one item of the oilfield equipment has been moved from the west side of the park. The one remaining item is not a safety hazard and will be moved as soon as some concrete is poured for a base out at the Oilfield museum property. Sherry asked Gary about the old shuffle board pad. Gary stated that it will be taken care of this summer.
C. Sidewalks and Lights: Debi stated that there was no report at this time.
D. Street and Alley: Bonnie stated that there was no report at this time.
E. Water and Sewer: Ken stated that he had attended a meeting in Effingham dealing with funding. Ken stated that he has some contacts and information that he will show to Randy, when Randy gets back and then go from there. Ken mentioned that he had heard EJ had contacted the people north of Oblong in the Water Extension Phase II about supplying them water. Ken stated that a letter will be sent to all landlords of property with water being purchased from the Village. The letter is informing the landlords of their responsibility for past due bills.
F. Finance: Rick C. stated that the committee met with Jodi before the meeting about the audit.
12. Motion by Ken, with a second by Sherry, to pay the bills that were on the warranty list and any utility bills, bills that will incur a late charge or reimbursements to employees. Four (4) ayes, motion carried.
13. Under other business:
Tom Compton stated that the tourism has enough money to operate for at least a year.
Ken asked about the sign, that the Tourism Board is donating.
Tom stated that the signs have been put on hold at this time.
14. Motion by Sherry, with a second by Bonnie, to adjourn at 7:52 pm. All
ayes, motion carried.
Ladora C. Boyd