Village of Oblong
August 2nd, 2006
The Village Board of Trustees met in regular session on August 2nd, 2006, in the Farley Room of the Municipal Building.
Members Present: Mayor Randy Rich, Clerk Ladora Boyd, Trustee Rick Catt, Trustee Bonnie Finn, Trustee Rick Houdasheldt, Trustee Sherry Catt, Trustee Debi Wilson and Treasurer Jan Miller.
Absent: Trustee Ken Russell.
Others Present: Police Chief Chad Pusey, Tom Compton (Daily News), and Wendy McDaniel.
1. The meeting was called to order at 7:00 pm by Mayor Rich.
2. The Regular Board Meeting minutes of July 5th, 2006, were approved with
a motion by Sherry and a second by Bonnie. Five (5) ayes, motion carried.
3. There was one deletion to the agenda this month. Kathy Ditch sent a letter to the Mayor letting him know why she could not make the meeting tonight.
4. There was one water bill customer at the meeting this month.
Ms. McDaniel asked if she could pay her water bill in two (2) installments. 1st half on August 7th and 2nd half on August 11th.
The Board granted her request.
5. Motion by Bonnie, with a second by Rick H., to adopt Ordinance #2006-0-494 “An Ordinance to Amend Chapter 24, Motor Vehicles, Article IV - Parking Rules of the Revised Code of Ordinances of Oblong, Illinois.” Five (5) ayes, motion carried.
6. Motion by Rick C., with a second by Debi, to adopt Resolution #06-3 “Homecoming Parade Permit” to beheld on September 15th, approximately from 1:30 pm to 3:30 pm. Five (5) ayes, motion carried.
7. Motion by Rick H., with a second by Sherry, to adopt Resolution #06-4 “Halloween Parade Permit” to beheld on October 28th, approximately from 6:30 pm to 9:30 pm. Five (5) ayes, motion carried.
8. Under Mayor's Comments:
1. Randy wanted to thank everyone for taking care of the board meeting last month in his absence.
2. Randy stated that he would like to establish a committee to look into getting grants for playground equipment. Randy wanted to know if there were no objections? There were no objections from the board. Randy mentioned that he would appoint the committee member sometime next week.
3. Tom Compton mentioned that the Crawford County Tourism Board will be accepting applications from communities and organizations wanting money to promote tourism through festival and etc. The board will be awarding between $10,000 to $15,000, the next few months.
9. Motion by Rick H., with a second by Debi, to go into executive session to discuss personnel at 7:09 pm. Five (5) ayes, motion carried.
10. Motion by Sherry, with a second by Rick C., to come out executive session at 7:30 pm. Five (5) ayes, motion carried. Randy stated that there was no action at this time.
11. Reports of Committees:
A Police: Chad stated that the Board all has a copy of the monthly report. Chad stated that there would be a couple of training session this month. On August 23rd, there is SRT training session (ILEAS). On August 29th, there is an MCR training session in Effingham. Rick H. stated that there was a meeting July 24th, to go over routine items with the committee.
B. Buildings and Park: Sherry stated that she would like to replace the Horseshoe Pit sign. Sherry would like for the sign to also state the time; she will get a couple of estimates and bring to the next board meeting.
C. Sidewalks and Lights: Debi stated that there was no report at this time.
D. Street and Alley: Bonnie stated that there was a committee meeting on July 26th, to discuss the parking issue. Bonnie stated that Gary is looking into making some more parking on West Indiana Street by Pizza-N-More.
E. Water and Sewer: There was no report this month.
F. Finance: Rick C. had the mayor open the bids on the Village funds. There
was only two (2) bids to open. The bid was for interest on the checking accounts
for a two-year term. The bids are as follows:
1st National Bank in Olney 5.01%
1st Robinson Savings Bank 5.27%
Motion by Rick H., with a second by Sherry, to accept the bid from 1st Robinson Savings Bank and will go into effect on September 1st. Ayes: Bonnie, Rick H., Sherry, Debi. Abstain: Rick C. Motion carried.
Rick stated that there will probably be a committee meeting later this month to discuss some issue brought up in the audit report and possibly meeting with Rick Koester from USDA Rural Development.
12. Motion by Bonnie, with a second by Sherry, to pay the bills that were on the warranty list and any utility bills, bills that will incur a late charge or reimbursements to employees. Five (5) ayes, motion carried.
13. There was no other business this month.
14. Motion by Sherry, with a second by Rick H., to adjourn at 7:59 pm. Five (5) ayes, motion carried.
Ladora C. Boyd