Village of Oblong
October 4, 2006
The Village Board of Trustees met in regular session on October 4th, 2006, in the Farley Room of the Municipal Building.
Members Present: Mayor Randy Rich, Clerk Ladora Boyd, Trustee Rick Catt, Trustee Bonnie Finn, Trustee Ken Russell, Trustee Sherry Catt, Trustee Debi Wilson and Treasurer Jan Miller.
Absent: Trustee Rick Houdasheldt.
Others Present: Police Chief Chad Pusey, Public Works Superintendent Gary
Lanter, Tom Compton (Daily News), Danny Eveland, Jerry McDaniel, Wendy McDaniel,
Melissa Tracy, Kathy Palmer, JJ Ochs, Jake Wilkins and several other children
interested in the skateboard park.
1. The meeting was called to order at 7:00 pm by Mayor Rich.
2. The Regular Board Meeting minutes of September 6th, 2006, were approved with a motion by Rick C. and a second by Ken. Five (5) ayes, motion carried.
3. There was one addition to the agenda this month. Interested parents and grandparents in support of the skateboard park. Melissa stated that there is a lot of interest from parents and kids who would like to have a skateboard park. She stated that she had several signatures from people that think a skateboard park would be a good idea. Melissa stated that the group would like to know if the Board is willing to look into getting a skateboard park built. Jerry stated that the deadline for this year on grants has passed, but they would like to go ahead and start having fund-raisers so that when next year comes there will be some funds in a banking account. This way there would be at least a chance of receiving more that a $1,000 from a matching fund grant. Randy asked the Board if they were willing to pursue the idea of a skateboard park in town. The Board was in favor of looking into the matter. Randy suggested to the group that they get a committee appointed and then meet with him. He has received some information on acceptable equipment for the park and has talked with the Village’s insurance representative. Randy stated that the insurance representative would have to approve the materials used to build the equipment for the park. Kathy Palmer stated that she felt this was a good idea for physical exercise; instead of the kids sitting in front of the TV or playing video games. Randy thanked the group for coming to the meeting and showing such an interest.
4. There was one water bill customer at the meeting this month.
Mr. Eveland asked if he could pay his water bill on October 27th. The Board granted his request.
5. Motion by Ken, with a second by Debi, to adopt Ordinance #2006-0-495 “An Ordinance on Sexual Harassment Policy”. Five (5) ayes, motioned carried.
6. Motion by Debi, with a second by Bonnie, to adopt Ordinance #2006-0-496 “An Ordinance on Sexual Misconduct Policy”. Five (5) ayes, motion carried.
7. Motion by Rick C., with a second by Ken, to adopt Ordinance #2006-0-497 “Tax Levy Ordinance”. Five (5) ayes, motion carried.
8. Motion by Ken, with a second by Debi, to set trick or treat night for October 31st, from 5 pm to 8 pm where the house outside light is on. Five (5) ayes, motioned carried.
9. Under Mayor's Comments: 1. Randy stated that Fall Clean-up is October 13th. Randy mentioned that Old School asked that everything be bundled, bagged or boxed. Old School will not pick-up any construction or yard waste. They will pick-up one (1) appliance per paid-up household. Randy stated that any delinquent trash costumers will not have their trash picked-up until they pay their trash bill.
2. Randy stated that the Village has received a default judgement against Ms. Schlosser for the unsafe building at 604 East Kentucky Street. Randy asked the Board’s permission to go ahead and get someone to clean-up the property and then the Village will be placing a lien on the property for the legal fees and clean-up expense. The Board agreed.
3. Randy stated that the previously discussed location of the sign from the Tourism Board was not fusible due to conflict with the Route 33 Project. He mentioned placing the sign next to the Municipal Building. There was some discussion on this matter. The Board decided to place the sign where the portable sign is now since there is already electric there.
4. Randy stated that he has talked with Sherry and they have come up with some names for a Playground Equipment Committee. The names are as follows: Sherry Catt, Tim Attaway, Ken Russell and Gloria Hatch. Randy stated that the committee will be looking into the cost of equipment and grants and financing to pay for the equipment. The committee will report to the Board as things progress. Motion by Rick C., with a second by Debi, to accept the names mentioned to be on the committee. Five (5) ayes, motion carried.
10. Motion by Sherry, with a second by Bonnie, to go into executive session at 7:22 pm. Five (5) ayes, motion carried.
11. Motion by Debi, with a second by Sherry, to come out of executive session at 7:44 pm. Five (5) ayes, motion carried. There was no action taken.
12. Reports of Committees:
A Police: Chad stated that the Board had the monthly report and schedule for October. Chad stated that there will be an ILEAS training session on October 25th. There is to be a training session on Street Survival in Indianapolis on November 13th & 14th. He would like to send Paul Maxwell and himself to this training with the Board’s permission. It will cost $199 to send Paul but Chad may attend for free. The Board granted Chad’s request.
B. Buildings and Park: Sherry stated that she had talked with Gary before the meeting about something she wanted completed this fall and that he had stated they were on the list. One of the items is painting and putting the fence back up around the horseshoe pits.
C. Sidewalks and Lights: Debi stated that there was no report at this time.
D. Street and Alley: Gary stated that the MFT project for this year was completed. Gary stated that starting next week there will be sealing of cracks on North and South Range Street (weather permitting).
E. Water and Sewer: Ken stated that the committee had met to discuss the following three items:
1. Ken stated that the Village had received a letter from Robinson-Palestine Water Commission stating that they’re raising their water rates approximately 20% as soon as the bill system is set-up. The committee’s recommendation is that the Village will absorb the rate increase at this time, but will look at the water figures at the beginning of the year to see how the finances look.
2. Ken stated that the committee has looked into replacing some of the older water main line coming from Robinson. Ken stated that Connor & Connor recommended to do the replacement in conjunction with Robinson’s work on their lines. The estimate for this project is $55,000. If the Village decides to go ahead with the replacement project; Connor & Connor would put both project requests in together to EPA for a water permit. Motion by Rick C., with a second by Sherry, to go ahead and get right-of-ways and bids for the project; and have Connor & Connor submit the Village’s request with Robinson’s request. Five (5) ayes, motion carried. This is part of the lines that the Village was going to have to have moved for the Route 33 Project.
3. Ken mentioned that Connor & Connor has received the drawings for the Route 33 Project from IDOT.
F. Finance: Rick C. asked Jan if there was anything to mention. Jan stated that the releasing of collateral from 1st National Bank and get the collateralization from 1st Robinson Savings Bank is done and on file for the auditors.
13. Motion by Debi, with a second by Ken, to pay the bills that were on the warranty list and any utility bills, bills that will incur a late charge or reimbursements to employees. Five (5) ayes, motion carried. Rick C. asked if there was a volunteer to initial the bills for this month. It was decided to have Rick H. initial this months bills.
14. Under other items of business: Tom Compton stated that the Crawford County Tourism Board is disbanding at the end of the year. There was some discussion on this matter.
15. Motion by Sherry, with a second by Bonnie, to adjourn at 7:56 pm. Five (5) ayes, motion carried.
Ladora C. Boyd