Village of Oblong
December 6, 2006
The Village Board of Trustees met in regular session on December 6th, 2006, in the Farley Room of the Municipal Building.
Member Present: Mayor Randy Rich, Clerk Ladora Boyd, Trustee Rick Catt, Trustee Bonnie Finn, Trustee Rick Houdasheldt, Trustee Ken Russell, Trustee Sherry Catt, Trust Debi Wilson and Treasurer Jan Miller.
Others Present: Police Chief Chad Pusey, Public Works Superintendent Gary Lanter, John Bowersmith (RCAP), Jerry McDaniel, Melissa Tracy, Jo Ann Tracy, Bobby Tracy, Jr., Jim Wilkins and Tom Compton (Daily News).
1. The meeting was called to order at 7:03 pm by Mayor Rich.
2. The Regular Board Meeting minutes of November 1st, 2006, were approved with a motion by Rick C. and a second by Sherry. All ayes, motion carried.
3. There were no additions or deletions to the agenda this month.
4. There were no water bill customers/questions at the meeting this month.
5. Randy stated that he wanted the Skate Board Committee to bring the Village Board up to date on the progress and if they had any questions for the Village Board. Mr. McDaniel stated that he had some catalogs from companies that manufacture equipment for skate board parks, a letter and some other information. Mr. Wilkins passed out a copy of the letter to the Village Board members. The letter explains what the committee has done so far and what they are planning to accomplish for the near future. There was some discussion of estimated cost for the Skate Board Park equipment. There was some discussion on the type of materials that the equipment is made of. The concrete can be done by a local contractor. There was some discussion on where the park would be located. Mr. McDaniel suggested possibly the park being located west of the old oilfield museum building. Randy stated that until the committee can get a diagram (floor plan) of what the park size will need to be, the Village Board could not consider a specific location. Ms. Tracy asked if there were any suggestion as to what grants were out there for them to apply for. Sherry suggested that the committee come to a Ruritan’s Meeting and ask for possible donations.
6. Motion by Sherry, with a second by Ken, to adopt Resolution #2006-R-6 “A Resolution of Support and Commitment of Funds”. Roll Call vote is as follows: Rick Catt - aye; Bonnie Finn - aye; Rick Houdasheldt - aye; Ken Russell - aye; Sherry Catt - aye; Debi Wilson - aye. Motion carried.
7. Randy stated that the Village needs to commit $25,000 to the Oblong Revolving Loan Fund to be eligible for the $99,000 Rural Business Enterprise Grant (RBEG) from USDA Rural Development. The $25,000 would include any legal fees incurred to get the Revolving Loan Fund started. Motion by Rick C., with a second by Rick H., to commit $25,000, which will include any legal fees, to start the Oblong Revolving Loan Fund. Roll Call vote is as follows: Rick Catt - aye; Bonnie Finn - aye; Rick Houdasheldt - aye; Ken Russell - aye; Sherry Catt - aye; Debi Wilson - aye. Motion carried.
8. Motion by Ken, with a second by Sherry, to approve the Mobile Home Permit for Alicia Hyde. All ayes, motion carried.
9. Under Mayor’s Comments : 1. Randy mentioned that the annual contribution to CCDA (Crawford County Development Association) is due this month and that it is on the warranty list to be paid.
2. Randy stated that he is still trying to find someone to be on the Tourism Advisory Board. He asked if anyone had someone in mind to let him know. Tom Compton suggested maybe someone from the Crawford County Fair Board would be interested in sitting on the Tourism Advisory Board. Randy stated that he hoped to have someone for approval for the January board meeting
3. Randy stated that he had talked some more with the Village Attorney, Frank Weber, about the banning of mobile homes on Main and Range Street. Frank stated that it would be a lot of paperwork. Frank suggested that the issue be dropped at this time. Sherry asked about changing the age limit on mobile homes from 20 years or newer to 5 (or 10) years or newer. Randy stated that he would talk to Frank on this issue and let the Board know at the January Meeting.
10. Reports of Committees:
A. Police: Rick H. stated that the committee has not had a meeting since last month’s meeting. Rick stated that there will be some training this month. Chad stated that on December 13th, there will be a training session for ILEAS; on December 15th, training is on Juvenile; and on December 20th, it will be on Speciality ammunition impact (rifles). Chad stated that the department had received a $500 donation for equipment from Wal*Mart. Chad stated that the committee will need to have a meeting before the January Board Meeting for year-end reviews.
B. Building and Park: Sherry stated that there was no report at this time. Sherry said that she had been out to the Park and that it looked really nice.
C. Sidewalks and Lights: Debi stated that there was no report at this time.
D. Street and Alley: Bonnie stated that there was no report at this time. Gary stated that the department is ready in case of snow.
E. Water and Sewer: Ken stated that Gary had been in contact with Connor & Connor on the water line replacement from the pump house to the main meter. The permit request has been submitted; now waiting on EPA to issue the permit. Still need to obtain some right of ways and then put the project out for bids. Ken stated that Gary will be attending a IRWA training session on January 10th. Ken wanted to personally thank the water department employees and who all else helped for their time working on the surveys. There were some comments on how well the leaf pick-up went this year.
F. Finance: Rick C. stated that there were some minor changes to the Employees’s Guidelines, such as the office staffs’ hours. There was some discussion on some of the wording in another section of the guidelines. Motion by Rick C., with a second by Bonnie, to accept the changes made to the employees’ guidelines. All ayes, motion carried. Rick stated that Jan and Ladora will be attending the SECICTA on December 14th, in Dieterich.
11. Motion by Rick H., with a second by Debi, to pay the bills that were on the warranty list and any utility bills, bills that will incur a late charge or reimbursements to employees. All ayes, motion carried. Rick C. volunteered to initial the bills for the month of December.
12. Under other business, Gary stated that the antenna for the water office radio base is going to be replaced on Monday, December 11th. Gary stated the person coming to do the job called to tell him that the Village will need to get a hold of a bucket truck for them to use when they put up the antenna.
13. Motion by Bonnie, with a second by Rick C., to adjourn at 7:37 pm. All ayes, motion carried.
Ladora C. Boyd