Village of Oblong
December 5, 2007
The Village Board of Trustees met in regular session on December 5th, 2007, in the Farley Room of the Municipal Building.
Members Present: Mayor Randy Rich, Clerk Ladora Boyd, Trustee Rick Catt, Trustee Joe Campanella, Trustee Rick Houdasheldt, Trustee Ken Russell, Trustee Tony Madlem, Trustee Debi Wilson and Treasurer Jan Miller.
Others Present: Police Chief Chad Pusey, Public Works Superintendent Gary Lanter, Tom Compton (Robinson Daily News), Nick Hinterscher, Chris Hinterscher, Jerry McDaniel, Mike McReynolds, Keith Waldrop and Part-time Patrol Officer Paul Maxwell.
1. The meeting was called to order at 7:00 pm by Mayor Rich.
2. Motion by Rick C., with a second by Joe, to make an amendment to last month’s minutes under Mayor’s Comments that reads “vacation, personal and sick days need to be taken as ½ day or whole days. All ayes, motion carried. The Regular Board Meeting minutes of November 7th, 2007, were approved with a motion by Tony and a second by Rick C. All ayes, motion carried.
3. There were no additions or deletions to the agenda this month.
4. There were two water bill customers at the meeting this month. Mr. McDaniel came before the Board to ask to have his late water bill set-up on payments for the next 4 months after making a payment of $65.80. The Board granted Mr. McDaniel’s request. Mr. McReynolds came before the Board to ask to have his late water bill set-up for 3 payments this month. The Board granted Mr. McReynolds’ request.
5. Chris Hinterscher came before the Board to asked for an hour and half extension on Monday, December 31st, for the taverns in Oblong. The Board asked Chad if there had been problems in the past on New Year’s Eve and the extended hours. Chad stated that there were no problems with the extended hours in the past. Motion by Rick C., with a second by Rick H., to allow the taverns in Oblong to stay open until 1:30 am instead of their normal closing time. All ayes, motion carried.
6. Under Mayor’s Comments : Randy stated that Shannon Woodard was going to be here to see what the Board had decided on the EPA construction permit. Randy stated that after meeting with Sara Mann (Great Wabash Valley Regional Planning Commission) that the EPA construction permit would improve the chances of getting the CDAP grant. Tony stated that the Route 33 Project is to have a bid letting on June 13th, 2008, possibly. There was some discussion on this issue. Motion by Rick H., with a second by Ken, to have Connor & Connor, Inc. go ahead an apply for an EPA construction permit for the relocation of the Village’s water and sewer lines due to the expansion of Route 33 through Oblong and also to pay half of the $40,000 Design fee to Connor & Connor. All ayes, motion carried.
Randy stated that Gary had received a letter from Cody Johnson, who has refurbished all the pipe framed benches out at the park, he was thanking the Village for allowing him to do the project for his Eagle Scout Project.
Randy stated that the Village had received a letter from Mediacom. Mediacom will be raising their cable rates on January 1st, 2008, as follows:
Basic Rate No
Expanded Basic $3 increase
Family Cable $3 increase
Mediacom HD Pak $3 decrease
Commercial Family Cable $3 increase
7. Reports of Committees:
A. Police: Rick H. stated that there would be normal training and everyone had a copy of the monthly report.
B. Building and Park: Joe stated that he had nothing to report this month.
C. Sidewalks and Lights: Debi stated that she had nothing to report this month.
D. Street and Alley: Tony stated that the cracks on North and South Range Street have been filled by the Village employees.
E. Water and Sewer: Ken stated that Gary and the guys completed three projects (larger line going back to the Crawford County Highway Department Barn; Village’s part of the project with Robinson-Palestine Water Commission; and the Kilburn/Davis water line Project) in November.
F. Finance: Rick C. stated that everyone had a copy of the minutes for the November 28th, committee meeting. He stated that the Oblong Revolving Loan Committee will be having another meeting to finalized the loan application and then start advertising so that businesses can start applying for a loan. Rick C. thanked Joe for initialing the bills for the month of November. Rick C. asked for a volunteer to initial the bills for the month of December. Ken volunteered to come in an initial the bills for December.
8. Motion by Debi, with a second by Joe, to pay the bills that were on the warranty list and any utility bills, bills that will incur a late charge or reimbursements to employees. All ayes, motion carried.
9. Motion by Rick H., second by Joe, to go into executive session to discuss personnel at 7:25 pm. All ayes, motion carried.
10. Motion by Rick C., second by Tony, to come out of executive session at 8:20 pm. There was no decision made at this time.
11. There was another item of business this month. Rick C. stated that he was approached by Gary before the meeting about the Public Works department closing for the day on Christmas Eve. There was some discussion and it was decided that the Village will close the Municipal Building at 12 pm (Noon) on Christmas Eve; if the employees want the whole day off they will need to take ½ of a vacation day.
12. Motion by Rick H., with a second by Joe, to adjourn at 8:25 pm. All ayes, motion carried.
Ladora C. Boyd