Village of Oblong
May 2nd, 2007
The Village Board of Trustees met in regular session on May 2nd, 2007, in the Farley Room of the Municipal Building.
Member Present: Mayor Randy Rich, Clerk Ladora Boyd, Trustee Rick Catt, Trustee Joe Campanella, Trustee Rick Houdasheldt, Trustee Ken Russell, Trustee Tony Madlem, Trustee Debi Wilson and Treasurer Jan Miller.
Others Present: Police Chief Chad Pusey, Public Works Superintendent Gary Lanter, Tom Compton (Daily News), Charlotte Cannon (Oblong Gem), Nancy Russell, and Sherry Catt.
1. The Village Clerk swore in Debi Wilson, Joe Campanella and Tony Madlem as Trustees before the Board Meeting was called to order.
2. The meeting was called to order at 7:02 pm by Mayor Rich. The Mayor welcome Debi back and Joe and Tony to the Board.
3. The Regular Board Meeting minutes of April 4th, 2007, were approved with a motion by Rick C. and a second by Rick H. All ayes, motion carried.
4. There were no additions or deletions to the agenda this month.
5. There were no water bill customer at the meeting this month.
6. Rick C. stated that in speaking with the Village Attorney if the Finance Committee brought a recommendation to the Board for approve the Board would not need to pass a “Payroll Ordinance”. The finance committee brought to the board a recommendation to the board of the new salary rate. Motion by Rick C., with a second by Debi, give the recommended pay raises. All ayes, motion carried.
7. Under Mayor’s Comments : 1. Randy stated that the Antique Tractor and Engine Club would like to use the Park for their annual show on August 9th, 10th, 11th and 12th. The board granted the request.
2. Randy stated that Oblong Chamber of Commerce is asking for the Village to be a golf hole sponsor. There was some discussion on this issue about using tax payer money for this issue. Randy stated that the Village Attorney stated that this is a grey area. Joe mentioned maybe the Village could get a team together and represent the Village with the team paying their own entry fee. The Board felt that this was a good idea.
3. Randy stated that he felt that the burn ordinance needed to be looked at and maybe critique. Will be bring this issue back up next month.
4. Randy stated that the Village had received a letter from IL Municipal League about the Newly Elected Official Seminar for newly elected trustees. If anyone is interested they need to let Randy know.8. Reports of Committees:
A. Police: Rick H. stated that there will be normal training this month. The new squad car will be deliver on May 8th, 2007, but will not be in service until the end of the month. May 31st through June 3rd, will be “Click It of Ticket”. Randy read a proclamation for National Police Week. National Police Week is May 13th through 19th.
B. Building and Park: Randy brought up the request that there be a water heater put under the sink, so that there would be hot water sooner than there it now. The general feeling was that it would not be feasible. Randy also stated that the Playground Equipment Committee has picked a piece of playground equipment to replace some of the older less safe equipment. The committee has applied for the Mary Heath Morris Grant and will be applying for more grants to help with the cost of the equipment.
C. Sidewalks and Lights: Debi stated that she will be calling a meeting later.
D. Street and Alley: No report at this time.
E. Water and Sewer: No report at this time. Ken did state that there are still some right of way needed.
F. Finance: Rick C. stated that the Auditors will start the audit on May
21st. Rick stated that Jan would like to attend the State Treasurer’s
Symposium on May 22nd and 23rd. The Board granted her request. Rick C. also
asked for a volunteer to initial the bills for the month of May. Joe volunteered
to come in to look over the bills for the month of May and initial them.
9. Motion by Rick H., with a second by Ken, to pay the bills that were on the warranty list and any utility bills, bills that will incur a late charge or reimbursements to employees. All ayes, motion carried.
10. There was no other business this month.
11. Motion by Rick C., with a second by Tony, to adjourn at 7:25 pm. All ayes, motion carried.
Ladora C. Boyd