Village of Oblong
The Village Board of Trustees met in regular session on October 3rd, 2007, in the Farley Room of the Municipal Building.
Members Present: Mayor Randy Rich, Clerk Ladora Boyd, Trustee Rick Catt, Trustee Joe Campanella, Trustee Rick Houdasheldt, Trustee Ken Russell, Trustee Tony Madlem and Treasurer Jan Miller.
Absent: Trustee Debi Wilson.
Others Present: Police Chief Chad Pusey, Public Works Superintendent Gary Lanter, Charlotte Cannon (Oblong Germ), Josh Brown (Robinson Daily News), Pete Lansbery, Part-time Patrol Officer Paul Maxwell, Daniel Fritchie and Tony Myers.
1. The meeting was called to order at 7:00 pm by Mayor Rich.
2. The Regular Board Meeting minutes of September 5th, 2007, were approved with a motion by Joe and a second by Rick H. Five (5) ayes, motion carried.
3. There were no water bill customers at the meeting this month.
4. There were no additions or deletions to the agenda this month.
5. Motion by Rick H., with a second by Tony, to adopt Resolution #2007-R-7 "A Resolution to Approve an Addendum to a Contract for Solid Waste Collection Service". Ayes: Rick C., Joe, Rick H., Ken, Tony. Motion carried. This will extend the contract with Old School Disposal for 5 years. The contract will expire on July of 2013.
6. Motion by Rick C., with a second by Joe, to adopt Ordinance #2007-O-504 "Tax Levy Ordinance". Ayes: Rick C., Joe, Rick H., Ken, Tony. Motion carried.
7. The Board set Trick or Treat Night for October 31st, from 5 pm to 8 pm. The Trick or Treaters are to only visit house with a porch light on.
8. Under Mayor's Comments :
1. Randy stated that Fall Clean-Up will be Friday, October 19th. Old School Disposal will not pick-up car parts, construction material or old tires. They will only pick-up for paid up customers. Randy stated that everything needs to boxed, bagged or bundled..
2. Randy stated that he had received several complaints about skunks in the Village. There was some discussion on this issue. Chad stated that if people will call in the location of the skunks and the skunks are not near any buildings the police department will shoot them.
3. Randy stated that he had received a letter from Illinois Municipal League/Risk Management stating that the Village has received a Safety Award for 2006.
9. Motion by Rick H., with a second by Rick C., to go into executive session at 7:11 pm to discuss personnel. Five (5) ayes, motion carried.
10. Motion by Rick C., with a second by Tony, to come out of executive session at 7:36 pm. Five (5) ayes, motion carried.
Motion by Tony, with a second by Rick H., to hire Doug Bierman and Joshua Douthit as Part-time Patrol Officers for the Village with a starting pay rate of $12.00/hour. Ayes: Rick C., Joe, Rick H., Ken, Tony. Motion carried.
Motion by Rick H., with a second by Joe, to give approval for Chad to apply for the Mary Heath Morris Foundation for a grant for partial funding of a K-9 Unit. Ayes: Rick C., Joe, Rick H., Ken, Tony. Motion carried.
11. Reports of Committees:
A. Police: Rick H. stated that everyone had a copy of the monthly report and new schedule. There was no training mentioned for this month.
B. Building and Park: Joe stated that Playground Equipment Committee had a meeting last month and that everything is moving forward. Jan stated that the Village had received a letter from the Illinois Department of Natural Resources (IDNR) stating that the Committee had been invited to the next step towards the OSLAD (Open Space Land Acquisition and Development) Grant. The next step is a three (3) minute presentation before a IDNR committee. The date of the presentation is October 18 th, at 9 am in Springfield. This grant will match what the Village has towards the purchase of the new Playground Equipment.
C. Sidewalks and Lights: Gary stated that he had nothing to report at this time.
D. Street and Alley: Tony stated that he had nothing to report at this time. Gary stated that his department will probably start running the Leaf Vac the first of next month (November) but may need to start toward the end of this month if the leaves start falling early. Gary stated that he will put the announcement in the paper. The department will pick-up bagged leaves now if the people call in to the Water Office.
E. Water and Sewer: Ken stated that the Village had received a letter from Illinois Department of Commerce and Economic Opportunities. The letter stated that the Village would not receive the CDAP grant for Fiscal Year 2007, but the Village may reapply for Fiscal Year 2008. This grant is to help with the cost of moving the water and sewer lines due to the widening of Route 33 through Oblong.
F. Finance: Rick C. stated that he had nothing to report at this time. Rick C. volunteered to initial the bills for the month of October.
12. Motion by Rick H., with a second by Rick C., to pay the bills that were on the warranty list and any utility bills, bills that will incur a late charge or reimbursements to employees. Five (5) ayes, motion carried.
13. There was no other items of business this month.
14. Motion by Ken, with a second by Tony, to adjourn at 7:48 pm. Five (5) ayes, motion carried.
Ladora C. Boyd