Village of Oblong
April 2, 2008
The Village Board of Trustees met in regular session on Wednesday, April 2 nd, 2008, in the Farley Room of the Municipal Building.
Members Present: Mayor Randy Rich, Clerk Ladora Boyd, Trustee Rick Catt, Trustee Joe Campanella, Trustee Rick Houdasheldt, Trustee Ken Russell, Trustee Tony Madlem, Trustee Debi Wilson and Treasurer Jan Miller.
Others Present: Police Chief Chad Pusey, Public Works Superintendent Gary Lanter, Charlotte Cannon (Oblong Gem), Tom Compton (Robinson Daily News), Michael Compton and Susie Jaynes (Illinois Municipal League Risk Management).
1. The meeting was called to order at 7 pm by Mayor Rich.
2. The Regular Board Meeting minutes of March 5 th, 2008, were approved with a motion by Tony and a second by Rick H. Ayes: Rick C., Rick H., Ken, Tony, Debi. Motion carried.
3. There were no additions or deletions to the agenda this month.
4. There were no water bill customers at the meeting this month.
5. Susie Jaynes, from IML Risk Management, came to the meeting to answer some questions that the Board had about the property, liability and workers = comp insurance and how the percents are figured. She stated that the IML Risk Management has 785 municipalities that are insured through them. She explained that the workers = comp is based on payroll figures. Street Department($11.53/per $100s) has the highest workers = comp rate than the Police Department($4.73/per $100s) or Water Department($6.58/per $100s). She stated that each municipalities is rated by their amount of claims and not as a group.
6. Motion by Rick C., with a second by Tony, to grant the request for the use of the Park for the St. Judes Bike-a-thon on May 3 rd. All ayes, motion carried.
7. Randy wanted to thank all departments for their help in keeping the figures low. The total Working Budget amount is $908,513.00. Motion by Ken, with a second by Rick H., to accept the Working Budget for 2008 - 2009. Ayes: Rick C., Joe, Rick H., Ken, Tony, Debi. Motion carried.
8. The total Appropriation amount is $1,223,430.00. Motion by Rick C., with a second by Tony, to adopt Ordinance #2008-O-505 AAppropriation Ordinance @. Ayes: Rick C., Joe, Rick H., Ken, Tony, Debi. Motion carried.
9. Motion by Tony, with a second by Debi, to adopt Resolution #2008-R-1 AResolution for Maintenance of Streets and Highways by Municipality Under the Illinois Highway Code @ in the amount of $57,000.00. Ayes: Rick C., Joe, Rick H., Ken, Tony, Debi. Motion carried.
10. Under Mayor =s Comments:
A. Randy stated that as of this fiscal year the money that was sent for the TIF mowing is completely gone. Randy wanted the Board to be aware that the Village will need to request more funds for the mowing from Roger Colmark for next fiscal year.
B. Randy stated that Spring Clean-Up will be April 17 th. One freon appliance per paid up customer of Veolia.
C. Randy read a Thank You card from Jan Miller for the stepping stone that was in memory of Jan =s Dad, Mac Whitmer.
D. Randy stated that Shannon had contacted him about having a Public Hearing at 6:45 pm and Special Board Meeting at 7 pm on April 16 th, for the Emergency Grant for the water line relocation in connection with Route 33 project.
11. Reports of Committees:
A. Police: Rick H. stated that everyone had a copy of the monthly report for March and training. Chad mentioned that the felonies were higher this month.
B. Building and Park: Joe stated that there was nothing to report at this time.
C. Sidewalks and Lights: Debi stated that there was nothing to report at this time.
D. Street and Alley: Tony stated that there was nothing to report at this time.
E. Water and Sewer: Ken stated that there was nothing to report at this time.
F. Finance: Rick C. stated that everything had been taken care of earlier in the meeting. Rick stated that he wanted to thank everyone who worked on the budget for a job well done. Rick thank Joe for initialing the bills for the month of March. Rick asked for a volunteer for April. Debi volunteered to come in and initial the bills for April.
12. Motion by Rick H., with a second by Joe, to pay the bills that were on the warranty list and any utility bills, bills that will incur a late charge or reimbursements to employees. All ayes, motion carried.
13. There were no other items of business this month.
14. Motion by Rick C., with a second by Tony, to adjourn at 7:32 pm. All ayes, motion carried.
Ladora C. Boyd