Village of Oblong
August 6, 2008
The Village of Oblong Board of Trustees met in regular session on Wednesday, August 6th, 2008, in the Farley Room of the Municipal Building.
Members Mayor Randy Rich, Clerk Ladora Boyd, Trustee Rick Catt, Trustee Joe Campanella,
Present: Trustee Rick Houdasheldt, Trustee Ken Russell, Trustee Tony Madlem and Trustee Debi Wilson.
Absent: Treasurer Jan Miller.
Others Police Chief Chad Pusey, Public Works Superintendent Gary Lanter, Charlotte
Present: Cannon (Oblong Gem), Tom Compton (Robinson Daily News), and Cindy McReynolds.
1. The meeting was called to order at 7 pm by Mayor Rich.
2. The Regular Board Meeting minutes of July 2nd, 2008, and continuation minutes of July 21st, 2008, were approved with a motion by Ken and a second by Debi. All ayes, motion carried.
3. There was one deletion to the agenda this month. Randy stated that there will not be an executive session this month.
4. There was one water bill customer at the meeting this month. Cindy McReynolds came before the Board to ask for an extension on her water bill until Friday, August 8th. The Board granted her request.
5. Motion by Rick C., with a second by Rick H., to adopt Ordinance #2008-O-511 ATax Levy Ordinance.@ Ayes: Rick C., Joe, Rick H., Ken, Tony, Debi. Motion carried.
6. Motion by Tony, with a second by Joe, to adopt Resolution #2008-R-4 AHomecoming Parade Permit@. All ayes, motion carried. Homecoming will be September 19th, 2008.
7. Motion by Rick H., with a second by Joe, to adopt Resolution #2008-R-5 AHalloween Parade Permit@. All ayes, motion carried. Fall Follies will be October 25th, 2008.
8. Under Mayor=s Comments:
A. Randy stated that the Village had received a Thank You card from Paula Myers & family for the wreath sent for her mother-in-law=s funeral.
B. Randy stated that he had received two letters from MediaCom. The first letter was to state that there will be a rate increase effective August 9th, 2008. The rate changes are as follows:
Starz Service Package from $11.95 to $12.95
Primary DVR Service from $8.95 to $9.95.
The second letter was to inform the Village that MediaCom will be changed to all digital channel line-up and will be discontinuing some West Coast versions of the premium channels. This change will be effective in August, 2008.
9. Reports of Committees:
A. Police: Rick H. stated that the committee had a meeting August 4th, to discuss some policies/procedures and personnel. He also mentioned that the Police Department has received a $5,000 grant thanks to State Senator Dale Righter and State Representative Roger Eddy. Rick H. stated that everyone had a copy of the monthly report. There will be normal training this month.
B. Building and Park: Joe stated that the new playground equipment will be deliver tomorrow morning (August 7th). Ken mentioned that there is a three week turnaround for the gentleman from Miracle to come and help with the assembly of the equipment. There was some discussion on a date for the assembly. It was decided that the week of September 8th, would be a good week. Randy stated that he had met with Jim Closson, IML Risk Management Loss Control, and had received a letter with some suggestions. Some of the suggestions are as follows: 1. make the facility just for skateboards only; 2. have an ordinance restricting skateboarding only at the facility in the Village Skate Park; and 3. signage stating the rules and hours for the park. The Board decided that the height of the fence around the Skate Park needs to be 8'. Randy stated he would get with the Skate Park Committee. Gary stated that the guys are a little behind on the trimming out at the park, but will try and catch up by the end of the week.
C. Sidewalks and Lights: Debi stated that there was nothing to report at this time.
D. Street and Alley: Tony stated that there was nothing to report at this time.
E. Water and Sewer: Ken stated that there was nothing to report at this time.
F. Finance: Rick C. thanked Ken for initialing the bills for the month of July. Rick asked for a volunteer to come in and initial the bills for August. Joe volunteered to initial the bills for the month of August. Rick stated that the committee had a meeting at 6 pm prior to the Board Meeting with the Village auditors. He stated that the Village has received a good audit report from Kemper CPA. There were some suggestions from the auditors. One of the suggestions was to have the trustee to initial the adjustment to customer accounts in the Public Works Department. The Board decided to have the Trustee that is initialing the bills for each month do the initialing of the adjustment list. Another suggestion is that all employees fill out a time sheet and sign it and turn in for each pay period. The Board agreed that this is a good idea to be implemented.
Ken opened the bids from the local financial institutes on the Village=s bank accounts. They are as follows:
First Financial Bank 1.75% APY
First National Bank in Olney 4.05% APY
First Robinson Savings Bank 4.56% APY
Motion by Rick H., with a second by Debi, to accept the bid from First Robinson Savings Bank at 4.56% interest for 2 years. Ayes: Joe, Rick H., Ken, Tony, Debi. Abstained: Rick C. Motion carried.
10. Motion by Rick C., with a second by Joe, to pay the bills that were on the warranty list and any utility bills, bills that will incur a late charge or reimbursements to employees. All ayes, motion carried.
11. There was one other item of business this month. Tony stated that he, Joe and Rick H. looked into the mowing of TIF lots. Their recommendation is to leave cost for the mowing as is for now. The Board agreed to leave the cost as is.
12. Motion by Rick H., with a second by Tony, to adjourn the meeting at 7:41 pm. All ayes, motion carried.
Ladora C. Boyd