Village of Oblong
February 6, 2008
The Village Board of Trustees me in regular session on Wednesday, February 6 th, 2008, in the Farley Room of the Municipal Building.
Members Present: Mayor Randy Rich, Clerk Ladora Boyd, Trustee Rick Catt, Trustee Rick Houdasheldt, Trustee Ken Russell, Trustee Tony Madlem, Trustee Debi Wilson and Treasurer Jan Miller.
Absent: Trustee Joe Campanella.
Others Present: Police Chief Chad Pusey, Public Works Superintendent Gary Lanter, Tom Compton (Robinson Daily News) and Mike McReynolds.
1. The meeting was called to order at 7 pm by Mayor Rich.
2. The Regular Board Meeting minutes of January 2 nd, 2008, were approved with a motion by Ken and a second by Rick H. Five (5) ayes, motion carried.
3. There were no additions or deletions to the agenda this month.
4. The Special Board Meeting minutes of January 30 th, 2008, were approved with a motion by Tony and a second by Rick C. Five (5) ayes, motion carried.
5. There was one water bill customer at the meeting this month. Mr. McReynolds came before the Board to ask for an extension on his late water bill until Friday, February 8 th. The Board granted Mr. McReynolds’ request.
6. Motion by Rick C., with a second by Debi, to allow Labor Local 1197 to collect donations for TLC of Southern & Central Illinois, Inc. on May 3 rd, 2008, at the 4-way stop from 9 am to 12 pm (Noon). Five (5) ayes, motion carried.
7. Under Mayor’s Comments: Randy stated that the Village made it through another storm without to many problems. Randy stated that the village workers got out and took care of the problems.
Randy stated to the department heads that budget time was coming up. Randy stated that Rick C. will call a Finance Committee meeting in the near future to discuss what the budget goals will be due to the extra expenses of the Route 33 Project this year.
8. Reports of Committees:
A. Police: Rick H. stated that there was a committee meetings tonight at 6 pm. Rick stated that Chad will be attending an ILEAS Conference in March which will cost $175. The Board approved the expenses since it is in the budget. Another item that was discussed was possibly starting a program for Grade 4 th through 6 th. The program will be called Junior Police Academy. This will be funded by private or public donations, so as not to charge a fee to the kids that are interested in attending. Chad stated that he and Jeff Patchett, Oblong School Superintendent, have been talking about this since the DARE program is no longer taught at Oblong Grade School. This program would be during the school year and possibly a couple of weeks during the summer. There was some discussion on this issue. The Board granted Chad permission to pursue the program. Rick H. stated that there would be normal training this month and everyone had a copy of the monthly report.
B. Building and Park: Gary stated that the committee had a meeting on January 30 th. The meeting was to discuss about charging a fee to reserve shelters out at the Park. This will hopeful clear up some problems that have happened in the past.
Motion by Rick H., with a second by Tony, to start charging $10 to reserve a shelter. Five (5) ayes, motion carried.
Now when someone comes in to reserve a shelter out at the Park and pays the $10 fee, they will be given a card and sign with the shelter name, date, time and name of person renting. The sign can be put up at the shelter they have reserved.
C. Sidewalks and Lights: Debi stated that Gary had mentioned to her that there were some lights out around the Park, but they had been fixed.
D. Street and Alley: Tony stated that the brine solution seems to be working on helping keep the ice melted at street intersections.
E. Water and Sewer: Ken stated that the committee had a meeting on January 16 th, with some representatives from IDOT. Representatives from Connor & Connor were also in attendance. The meeting was to discuss the Route 33 Project timetable and funding of the project.
F. Finance: Rick C. wanted to thank Rick H. for volunteering to initial the bills for January. Rick C. volunteered to come in and initial the bills for February.
9. Motion by Rick C., with a second by Rick H., to pay the bills that were on the warranty list and any utility bills, bills that will incur a late charge or reimbursements to employees. Five (5) ayes, motion carried.
10. There were no other items of business this month.
11. Motion by Debi, with a second by Rick H., to adjourn at 7:21 pm. Five (5) ayes, motion carried.
Ladora C. Boyd