Village of Oblong
DRAFT SPECIAL MINUTES
January 30th, 2008
The Village Board of Trustees met in Special Session on January 30th, 2008, in the Farley Room of the Municipal Building.
Members Present: Mayor Randy Rich, Clerk Ladora Boyd, Trustee Rick Catt, Trustee Joe Campanella, Trustee Rick Houdasheldt, Trustee Ken Russell, Trustee Tony Madlem and Treasurer Jan Miller.
Absent: Trustee Debi Wilson.
Others Present: Police Chief Chad Pusey, Public Works Superintendent Gary Lanter, Public Works Office Manager Dale Davis, Keith Waldrop and Shannon Woodard (Connor & Connor, Inc.).
1. The meeting was called to order at 7:00 pm by Mayor Rich.
2. Ken stated that he talked to Teresa Peterson from IDOT and she suggested that the Village contact our state representatives for this area. Ken stated that he called Tim Johnson’s office and Roger Eddy’s Office. Ken said he let the representatives know that the Village had applied for the CDAP grant and was denied and that the Village had the option of reapplying. Ken read a letter from State Representative Roger Eddy. Mr. Eddy stated that he would try to help the Village to get funding for the Route 33 Project. Mr. Eddy stated that he would be willing to write a letter of support if the Village did decide to go ahead and reapply for the CDAP grant.
3. Shannon brought copies of the confirmed estimate for the water and sewer lines relocation. He stated that the IDOT was wanting to know what their portion was going to cost. He stated that it would be cheaper to bid the whole project as one, but Connor & Connor would keep the cost to the Village and State separate like the project with Robinson- Palestine Water Commission & the Village. The Village portion of the estimated cost is $268,728.75 for the construction and $82,489.75 for engineering & contingencies, which is a total cost of $351,218.50. When the Village applied for the CDAP grant last year, the application was due the 1st of February. The grant was awarded in September, but the money was not released until January of this year. So, if the Village would decide to reapply for the CDAP grant and get it. It would be next January before the Village could even start the bid process, which does not fit with IDOT’s timetable. If the Board decides to reapply, then IDOT would cut out their portion of the Route 33 Project going thru Oblong and then would work it back in after the Village’s water and sewer lines were moved. IDOT said that they could not promise when they would do the portion through town, if ever. Shannon stated that the Village could apply for a Emergency grant for an amount up to $100,000; there is no deadline for this grant to be submitted. The Village has a good chance of receiving this grant. Shannon stated that he could possibly put an application together in two to three weeks. There would a good chance that the Village would have our project done by the time IDOT wanted. There was some discussion on how the board wants to proceed with the project. Option One is to hold out for more money from the CDAP grant. Option Two is to apply for the emergency grant fund. Option Three is not to do anything at this time in relocating the water and sewer lines.
4. Motion by Rick C., with a second by Rick H., to apply for the emergency grant fund in the amount of $100,000 and proceed with the relocation of the water and sewer lines for the Route 33 project. Roll Call vote was as follows: Rick C. – Aye, Joe – Aye, Rick H. – Aye, Ken – Aye, Tony – Aye. Motion carried.
5. Motion by Ken, with a second by Tony, to adjourn at 7:28 pm. Five (5) ayes, motion carried.
Ladora C. Boyd