Village of Oblong
June 4, 2008
The Village of Oblong Board of Trustees met in regular session on Wednesday, June 4 th, 2008, in the Farley Room of the Municipal Building.
Members Present: Mayor Randy Rich, Clerk Ladora Boyd, Trustee Rick Catt, Trustee Joe Campanella, Trustee Rick Houdasheldt, Trustee Tony Madlem, Trustee Debi Wilson and Treasurer Jan Miller.
Absent: Trustee Ken Russell.
Others Present: Police Chief Chad Pusey, Public Works Superintendent Gary Lanter, Charlotte Cannon (Oblong Gem), Tom Compton (Robinson Daily News), and Alex Walker.
1. The meeting was called to order at 7 pm by Mayor Rich.
2. The Regular Board Meeting minutes of May 7 th, 2008, were approved with a motion by Debi and a second by Joe. Five (5) ayes, motion carried.
3. There were no additions or deletions to the agenda this month.
4. There was no water bill customers at the meeting this month.
5. Alex Walker came back before the Board to let them know what dates he was looking at for holding the flea market and how much the liability insurance was for $300,000. There was some discussion about the amount of insurance. The Board told Alex that they would have the clerk find out what the Village insurance personnel suggests on the amount of liability insurance and let him know. The Board was okay with the flea market dates of August 16 th, 2008, and September 20 th, 2008, from 8am to 4 pm.
6. Motion by Rick C., with a second by Joe, to adopt Ordinance #2008-O-509 “Prevailing Wage Ordinance”. Five (5) ayes, motion carried.
7. Motion by Tony, with a second by Rick H., to adopt Ordinance #2008-O-510 “An Ordinance to Amend Chapter 24, Motor Vehicle Code, Article VII – Obstructing of Crossings, Section 24-8-1 of the Revised Code of Ordinances of the Village of Oblong, Crawford County, Illinois”. Five (5) ayes, motion carried.
8. The mayor stated that since the Village has not yet received the check from Mr. Colmark for mowing; he felt that the Board should not act upon the purposed changes to the Park Meadow Subdivision Covenants. The Board decided to table any decision until next month’s Board Meeting.
A. Randy stated that he had attended a meeting of Robinson Committee for animal control which was on the subject of the request for funding from Crawford County Humane Society. The committee meet with some of the Crawford County Board members. The county board members are working on some rewording of the ordinance to include everyone in the county. He stated that there was to be another meeting at a later date for the reconsideration by the Human Society on their request for funding.
B. Randy stated that he had received an E-mail from Jim Ellis stating that his firm has launched a new website totally dedicated to providing the people of Crawford County (& surrounding areas) with a comprehensive calendar of events. Mr. Ellis states that the service is FREE and easy to use. The sited is www.CrawfordCo.net. It is for listing any upcoming events.
C. Randy stated that Chad has started compiling a list of unsafe buildings, unlicensed vehicles & weed violations. Chad has sent out citations on unlicensed vehicles. Randy stated that he has received complaints on burning of plastics during the day and people letting their trash smother after dark.
D. Randy stated that he had been contacted a couple of weeks ago by Mark Dennis, of D & M Salvage, about possibly having an appliance pick-up day. Mr. Dennis brought over some information on what he does and would like done if he were to do an appliance pick-up day in the Village. There was some discussion and some questions on this matter. The Board will think this over and decide on this issue next month.
10. Reports of Committees:
A. Police: Rick H. stated that the committee had met Monday (June 2 nd) morning to go over what will be expected of the part-time officers during their shifts.. Rick also mentioned that Chad has Breathalyzer training this month and Chad and Paul have Hazmat training this month also. Rick mentioned that everyone had a copy of the monthly report.
B. Building and Park: Joe mentioned that the Playground Equipment Committee had a conference call with Jan Nation of Illinois Department of Natural Resources on Tuesday (June 3rd). The call was for Jan Nation to walk the committee thru the paperwork that was sent due to the OSLAD grant. The Board agreed to go ahead and put bids out for the playground equipment and concrete for handicap pad and sidewalk to playground equipment area. Randy mentioned that the merry-go-round had been brought up to code. Gary stated that it still needed to be painted. Randy mentioned that the committee will probably need to call a meeting to look at a possible site for the Skate Park due to the Skate Park Committee getting the ball rolling.
C. Sidewalks and Lights: Debi stated that there was nothing to report at this time.
E. Water and Sewer: Randy stated that Ken was not here and that there was nothing that he knew of for this month.
F. Finance: Rick thanked Debi for initialing the bills for the month of May. Rick asked for a volunteer to come in and initial the bills for June. Tony volunteered to initial the bills for the month of June. Rick stated that Jan and Ladora would be attending the June Secicta Meeting in Charleston on June 12 th, and that Jan would be attending IMTA Conference on June 29 th thru July 1 st.
Rick stated that the committee met on Tuesday (June 3 rd) at 3 pm with John Henderson from Kemper Technology Consulting about some issues with the set-up of the computers for the Village. Rick stated that there is some exposure concerns with the system the Village has at this point. Rick stated that the estimate that John gave to the committee was over $10,000; which would need to be put out for bids. Rick stated that the committee’s suggestion is to get the issues fixed. There was some discussion on this matter. The Board decided to go ahead and have John come and look at everything and give the Village a more firm quote.
11. Motion by Rick C., with a second by Debi, to pay the bills that were on the warranty list and any utility bills, bills that will incur a late charge or reimbursements to employees. Five (5) ayes, motion carried.
12. There was no other items of business this month.
13. At 8:05 pm, motion by Rick H., with a second by Tony, to reconvene the meeting on June 23 rd, 2008 at 10:30 am. Five (5) ayes, motion carried.
Continuation of June 4 th meeting: Meeting on June 23 rd:
Members present: Mayor Randy Rich, Clerk Ladora Boyd, Trustee Joe Campanella, Trustee Rick Houdasheldt, Trustee Ken Russell, Trustee Tony Madlem and Treasurer Jan Miller.
Absent: Trustee Rick Catt and Trustee Debi Wilson.
Others present: Playground Equipment Committee Member Sherry Catt, Public Works Superintendent Gary Lanter and Police Chief Chad Pusey.
14. Randy stated that the meeting was being reconvened at 10:30 am.
16. Randy stated that the Village had not received any bids on the concrete work. Motion by Ken, with a second by Tony, to extend the bid deadline to July 2 nd, at 3pm. Four (4) ayes, motion carried.
(Amendment: The Village did not have to extend the deadline for bids. The Village will contact a few concrete contractors to get estimates for the work). 7/2/2008
17. Motion by Ken, with a second by Rick H., to adjourn the meeting at 10:55 am. Four (4) ayes, motion carried.
Ladora C. Boyd