Village of Oblong
March 5, 2008
The Village Board of Trustees me in regular session on Wednesday, March 5 th, 2008, in the Farley Room of the Municipal Building.
Members Present: Mayor Randy Rich, Clerk Ladora Boyd, Trustee Joe Campanella, Trustee Rick Houdasheldt, Trustee Ken Russell, Trustee Tony Madlem, Trustee Debi Wilson and Treasurer Jan Miller.
Absent: Trustee Rick Catt.
Others Present: Police Chief Chad Pusey, Public Works Superintendent Gary Lanter, Charlotte Cannon (Oblong Gem) and Tom Compton (Robinson Daily News).
1. The meeting was called to order at 7 pm by Mayor Rich.
2. The Regular Board Meeting minutes of February 6 th, 2008, were approved with a motion by Joe and a second by Tony. Five (5) ayes, motion carried.
3. There were no additions or deletions to the agenda this month.
4. There were no water bill customers at the meeting this month.
5. Randy stated that Tawnya Bailey from Evangelical United Methodist Church had called him wanting permission to use the 4-way stop on Good Friday, March 21 st, to pass out some flyers. The Board granted the request.
6. Under Mayor’s Comments:
A. Randy stated that he had called CIPS about the light poles on Main Street. Randy stated that Ron Bailey from CIPS (down at Olney) called back and said that the poles will not have to be moved on Main Street when the widening of Route 33 is done. Randy asked that CIPS go ahead and send some information for the Board to look at for when the time comes that the Village will need to change the light poles in town.
B. Randy stated that he had called Mrs. Higgins and she had told him that the sink hole behind her building on South Range Street would be fixed if the weather held out this week. Randy mentioned that since the weather has been bad that he figured it will probably be next week before the sink hole is fixed.
C. Randy read a Thank You card from Jason Garrard’s family for the flower arrangement that was sent for Jason’s Grandma’s funeral.
D. Randy stated that he had received a letter from Casey’s General Store asking if there has been any changes of the Board feeling on issuing additional liquor licenses. There has been no change in the Board’s feeling.
7. Reports of Committees:
A. Police: Rick H. stated that there will be a committee meeting on March 12 th at 8 am to go over the budget figures for next fiscal. Rick stated that Chad had attended the ILEAS Conference the first of this week. Rick stated that Chad will be ordering new portable radios, which will be purchased with DUI funds. Rick mentioned that there will be normal training this month. Chad stated that everyone had a copy of the monthly report for February and he also mentioned that the services calls were higher than usual.
B. Building and Park: Joe stated that there was no report this month.
C. Sidewalks and Lights: Debi stated that there was no report at this month. Rick H. stated that he had received a call stating that the light at the corner of North Range Street and East Nebraska Street was out.
D. Street and Alley: Tony stated that this winter has been hard on the streets. He asked if there was anything in the ordinances on restricting big trucks on the streets.
E. Water and Sewer: Ken stated that the summer baseball league had contacted Gary about installing a 2" water meter on the south side of the High School property between the football field and baseball diamond. They have gotten the okay from the School District to share the expenses. Gary stated that he hoped to get this project done by the end of the month (weather permitting).
F. Finance: Randy stated that there will be a committee meeting on March 19 th, at 3:30 pm to look over the budget figures for the fiscal year and discuss the salaries. Randy stated that the budget figures from the department heads are due March 17 th. Jan stated that the Auditors will be here the third full week of May (19 th - 23 rd) for the annual audit. Randy mentioned that Jan and Ladora will be attending their quarterly SECICTA meeting on March 13 th, in Dieterich. Joe volunteered to come in and initial the bills for March.
8. Motion by Rick H., with a second by Ken, to pay the bills that were on the warranty list and any utility bills, bills that will incur a late charge or reimbursements to employees. Five (5) ayes, motion carried.
9. There was one other item of business this month. Tony asked if any of the other Board Members had received an e-mail about a seminar on the Freedom of Information Act. No other Board Member had received this e-mail.
10. Motion by Tony, with a second by Joe, to adjourn at 7:21 pm. Five (5) ayes, motion carried.
Ladora C. Boyd