Village of Oblong
May 7, 2008
May 7 th, 2008
The Village of Oblong Board of Trustees met in regular session on Wednesday, May 7 th, 2008, in the Farley Room of the Municipal Building.
Members Present: Mayor Randy Rich, Clerk Ladora Boyd, Trustee Rick Catt, Trustee Joe Campanella, Trustee Rick Houdasheldt, Trustee Ken Russell, Trustee Tony Madlem, Trustee Debi Wilson and Treasurer Jan Miller.
Others Present: Police Chief Chad Pusey, Public Works Superintendent Gary Lanter, Charlotte Cannon (Oblong Gem), Tom Compton (Robinson Daily News), Mike McReynolds, Alex Walker, Adam Mc Reynolds, Carol Wagner, Jerome Wagner and Jim Wilkins (Oblong Skate Park Committee).
1. The meeting was called to order at 7 pm by Mayor Rich.
2. The Regular Board Meeting minutes of April 2 nd, 2008, and the Special Board Meeting Minutes of April 16 th, 2008, were approved with a motion by Rick C. and a second by Debi. All ayes, motion carried.
3. There were two additions to the agenda this month Jim Wilkins (Oblong Skate Park Committee) and Gary Lanter.
4. There was one water bill customer at the meeting this month. Mike McReynolds came before the Board to ask for permission to pay his water bill in 3 installments. The Board granted his request.
5. Carol Wagner came before the Board to request she be allowed to kept the Village Tap open until she is able to sell it and settle her sister’s (Janis Christians) estate. Carol stated that she will be staying in her sister’s house until everything is taken care of. Motion by Tony, with a second by Rick H., to allow Carol to kept the Village Tap open as long as needed. All ayes, motion carried.
6. Jim Wilkins came to the meeting to update the Board on how things are going with the Oblong Skate Park Committee. Jim stated that there is a new committee member, Dave Hasty. The Committee has held one fundraiser this year and planning others. One of the fundraisers will be the selling of coupons. Jim also stated that he has been in contract with a company by the name of American Ramp Corporation. The company informed Jim that they have a matching grant to help towards projects such as the Skate Park Equipment. Jim stated that the committee will be working on submitting an application for the matching grant and other grant applications.
7. Gary stated that he had received a request from Kids Kingdom. Kids Kingdom is wanting to use the midway out at the Park for an end of the school year party on May 30 th, from 8 am to 3 pm. The Board granted the request.
9. Randy mentioned that the executive session would be moved down on the agenda to right after the Reports of Committees.
10. There was a request from Kelly Wells to use the 4-way stop for donations to the Children’s Miracle Network either May 24 th or 31 st. The Board granted the request to let Kelly use the 4-way stop on May 31 st, from 8am to noon (12 pm) for donations to the Children’s Miracle Network.
11. There was a request from Ed Shields on behalf of the Antique Tractor & Engine Club to use the Park on August 7 th through the 10 th for their annual Antiques Tractor & Engine Show. The request was granted by the Board.
12. There was a request for use of the lake and park on May 9 th, from 6 pm to 8 pm for a fishing rodeo by a group from Relay for Life.
13. Motion by Joe, with a second by Tony, to adopt Resolution #2008-R-3 “Resolution to Commit $26,000.00 for the Village of Oblong’s Portion of the Route 33 Project” this is for funds from the Motor Fuel Tax Funds to pay for new sidewalks. All ayes, motion carried.
14. Motion by Rick C., with a second by Debi, to adopt Ordinance #2008-O-506 “An Ordinance in Relation to Motor Vehicle Parking”. All ayes, motion carried.
15. Motion by Rick H., with a second by Debi, to adopt Ordinance #2008-O-507 “An Ordinance in Prohibiting the Discharge of Sanitary Sewage and Industrial Waste Water into the Storm Sewer or Drainage Facility Constructed with Improvement of Illinois Route 33, in the Village of Oblong, Crawford County, Illinois”. All ayes, motion carried.
16. Motion by Tony, with a second by Joe, to adopt Ordinance #2008-O-508 “An Ordinance Regulating Encroachment on Public Right of Way in the Village of Oblong, Crawford County, Illinois”. All ayes, motion carried.
17. Motion by Rick H., with a second by Rick C., to accept the Agreement and Plan Approval from IDOT. All ayes, motion carried.
18. There was some discussion on the purposed changes to the Park Meadow Subdivision Covenants. It was decided to table any decision until next month and the Board wants the 3 homeowners to sign off on the purposed changes.
Randy stated that the Village had received a request from Roger Colmark for reimbursement of his portion of the TIF taxes. Motion by Rick C., with a second by Debi, to grant Mr. Colmark’s request. Ayes: Rick C., Joe, Ken, Tony, Debi. Abstain: Rick H. The amount is around $21,000.00.
19. Motion by Tony, with a second by Joe, to give FairPoint Communications a grant of easement so that they may lay phone lines on Village property located on the west edge of the Village. All ayes, motion carried.
20. There was some discussion on the request for funding from Crawford County Humane Society. The Board decided to table any decision on the request from Crawford County Humane Society for funding until next Board Meeting (June 4 th).
21. Under Mayor’s Comments:
A. Randy stated that Judy Butler had called in to see if there would be a problem if she came in to doing her paperwork either in the Activity Center or Farley Room. There was some discussion on this item. The Board decided that there would be no problem with her using either room to fill out her paperwork. This would be at no charge.
B. Randy congratulated the Playground Equipment Committee on receiving an award letter from Department of Natural Resource stating that the Committee had received the Matching grant for new playground equipment. Randy stated that everyone involved has done a good job.
22. Reports of Committees:
A. Police: Rick H. stated that the committee had met this morning to go over some policies and procedures. Rick also mentioned that this month is “Click It or Ticket”. Chad stated that he will be sending out warning and citations on weed growth. Rick mention that the Police Department will be receiving a grant from the state for amount around $5,000.00.
B. Building and Park: Joe mentioned about the award letter from DNR. Joe stated that new lights have been ordered for around the walking pathway. Joe stated that Gary had received an estimate on repairing the merry-go-round, to bring it up to code for the Village’s insurance, in the amount of $800.00.
Motion by Rick C., with a second by Tony, to go ahead and have the merry-go-round repaired. All ayes, motion carried.
Gary stated that some of the slides have been removed from the Park. Gary also stated that the Lake Restoration Committee is donating some funds toward the new lights.
D. Street and Alley: Tony stated that the street repair/patching has been started.
E. Water and Sewer: Ken stated that the last portion of the Master Meter Project is being worked on.
F. Finance: Rick thank Debi for initialing the bills for the month of April. Rick stated that Debi volunteered to come in and initial the bills for May. Rick mentioned that the Village had received a letter from Kemper CPA. The letter stated that the village’s audit contract needed to be renewed and that there will be a 3% increase.
23. Motion by Rick H., with a second by Tony, to go into executive session to discuss personnel and insurance at 8:12 pm. All ayes, motion carried.
24. Motion by Debi, with a second by Rick C., to come out of executive session at 9:08 pm. All ayes, motion carried.
25. Motion by Rick C., with a second by Tony, that the Village will no longer pay for dependent health insurance effective May 1 st, 2008. Roll Call Vote: Rick C. – Aye; Joe – Aye;
Rick H. – Aye; Ken – Aye; Tony – Aye; Debi – Aye. Motion carried.
26. Motion by Rick H., with a second by Joe, to pay the bills that were on the warranty list and any utility bills, bills that will incur a late charge or reimbursements to employees. All ayes, motion carried..
27. There was one other item of business this month. Randy read a thank you note from Ladora for the floral arrangement sent for her grandma’s (Emma Rhyne) funeral service
28. Motion by Rick H., with a second by Tony, to adjourn at 9:10 pm. All ayes, motion carried.
Ladora C. Boyd