Village of Oblong
November 5, 2008
Submitted on December 1, 2008
The Village of Oblong Board of Trustees met in regular session on Wednesday, November 5 th, 2008, in the Farley Room of the Municipal Building.
Members Mayor Randy Rich, Clerk Ladora Boyd, Trustee Rick Catt, Trustee Joe Campanella,
Present: Trustee Rick Houdasheldt, Trustee Ken Russell, Trustee Tony Madlem, Trustee Debi Wilson and Treasurer Jan Miller.
Others Police Chief Chad Pusey, Public Works Superintendent Gary Lanter, Tom Compton
Present: (Daily News), Jeff Lawhead, Norma Bice and Daughter.
1. The meeting was called to order at 7 pm by Mayor Rich.
2. The Regular Board Meeting minutes of October 1 st, 2008, were approved with a motion by Rick H. and a second by Rick C. All ayes, motion carried.
3. There were no additions or deletions to the agenda this month.
4. There was one water bill customer at the meeting this month. Norma Bice came before the Board to ask for an extension on her water bill of $109.36 for 507 East Indiana Street until November 12 th. There was some discussion about her having an outstanding water bill for a different address that has not been paid on for several months. Mrs. Bice stated that she planned to pay the outstanding bill off when she got her tax return next year. The Board stated to Mrs. Bice that they would like for her to pay some on this bill now. The Board asked her how much she thought she could start paying on her outstanding bill of $470.36. Mrs. Bice stated that she could probably pay $10 a week starting next Monday, November 10 th, and when she gets her tax returns next year pay the remaining balance.
The Board granted her request for the extension on the water bill for 507 East Indiana Street (Trailer) of $109.36 until November 12 th. The Board also agreed that if Mrs. Bice will start paying $10 a week starting Monday, November 10 th, and finish the remaining balance when she receives her tax returns next year for the water bill from 509 East Indiana Street (House); the Board will not start legal proceeding. But if she misses one payment, the Board will start legal proceedings.
5. Jeff Lawhead came before the Board to ask for a 15-day extension for getting the porch torn down and cleaned up at 403 West Illinois Street. Randy stated that the Village has already condemned the property. Jeff stated that he is wanting to fix up the house. He is wanting to have a bonded contractor come and look at the house to see if it is structurally sound and what all needs to be done. Joe feels that the Village should give him the 15-day extension to tear down the whole house or the Village will. Rick C. stated that Jeff will need to bring a signed estimate and an itemized list of what needs to be done from a bonded contractor and a commitment letter from a financial institution into the Village’s Clerk/Treasurer’s Office before the15 days expire. The 15 days will start upon the receipt of a letter from the Village’s attorney to Jeff.
A. Randy stated that he had only one item and that was to thank Mike Munson for holding off on taking the sidewalks up until after Fall Follies.
7. Reports of Committees:
A. Police: Rick H. stated that there would be normal training this month. Rick also stated that the committee had a meeting last month to discuss some options concerning the department’s part-time officers. The 2004 Crown Vic had to have a new heater coil installed. The department had to purchase two new computers for the office due to compatibility issues with the new server. Rick stated that everyone had a copy of the month-end report and November schedule. Chad stated that everything went well during Fall Follies thanks to help from the Oblong Fire Department personnel.
B. Building and Park: Joe stated that he had nothing to report for this month.
C. Sidewalks and Lights: Debi stated that she had nothing to report for this month.
D. Street and Alley: Tony stated that the Village’s portion of the Route 33 Project has started. Randy stated that he thought Mike Munson will start next week on pulling up the sidewalks.
E. Water and Sewer: Ken stated that the committee had a meeting earlier, last month (October 13 th) with Connor & Connor (Village Engineers) and Mike Munson (Munson Construction) to discuss some issues. Ken stated that the committee will have a Preconstruction Meeting November 7 th, at 11 am with Connor & Connor (Village Engineers) and Mike Munson (Munson Construction). This meeting is a requirement for the emergency $100,000 grant that the Village has been awarded.
Ken stated that he would like to entertain a motion to approve the payment of stored materials to Munson Construction and payment for the relative up-to-date costs of design and inspection to Connor & Connor upon approval by the Mayor.
Motion by Rick H., with a second by Tony, to approve the payment of stored materials to Munson Construction and payment for the relative up-to-date costs of design and inspection to Connor & Connor upon the approval of the Mayor. All ayes, motion carried.
F. Finance: Rick C. stated that Dale had attended a meeting about Red Flags (Identity Theft) a few weeks ago in Effingham. Rick stated that the initial compliance date was November 1 st, 2008, but now it has been pushed back until next May.
Rick asked for a volunteer to initial the bill and the adjustment to customer accounts in the Public Works Department for November. Ken and Tony both volunteered. Ken will initial the bills and the adjustment to customer accounts in the Public Works Department for November and Tony said he would do the initialing of the bills and the adjustment to customer accounts in the Public Works Department for December.
8. Motion by Joe, with a second by Ken, to pay the bills that were on the warranty list and any utility bills, bills that will incur a late charge or reimbursements to employees. All ayes, motion carried.
9. There was one other item of business this month. Rick H. asked about the fencing at the new skateboard park. There was some discussion on this matter. The Board feels that as long as there are no obstacles; the skateboarders can skate on the concrete pad without a fence around it.
10. Motion by Tony, with a second by Rick H., to adjourn the meeting at 7:31 pm. All ayes, motion carried.
Ladora C. Boyd