Village of Oblong
September 3, 2008
The Village of Oblong Board of Trustees met in regular session on Wednesday, September 3rd, 2008, in the Farley Room of the Municipal Building.
Members Mayor Randy Rich, Clerk Ladora Boyd, Trustee Joe Campanella, Trustee Rick
Present: Houdasheldt, Trustee Ken Russell, Trustee Debi Wilson and Treasurer Jan Miller.
Absent: Trustee Rick Catt and Trustee Tony Madlem.
Others Police Chief Chad Pusey, Public Works Superintendent Gary Lanter, Zoe Campanella,
Present: Tom Compton (Robinson Daily News), Shannon Woodard (Connor & Connor), Jim Wilkins (Skateboard Park Committee), Kenneth M. Bell, and Cindy McReynolds.
1. The meeting was called to order at 7 pm by Mayor Rich.
2. The Regular Board Meeting minutes of August 6th, 2008, were approved with a motion by Joe and a second by Debi. Four (4) ayes, motion carried.
3. There were no additions or deletions to the agenda this month.
4. There was one water bill customer at the meeting this month. Cindy McReynolds came before the Board to ask for an extension on her water bill until Friday, September 5th. The Board granted her request.
5. Jim Wilkins, from the Oblong Skateboard Park Committee, came before the Board to give an update on the progress of the committee=s plans. Jim stated that the rock will be brought in by Ping Trucking and that Jerry Ping is going to not charge for the hauling of the rock. The depth of the rock will only be 5" to 6". Esker will be doing the concrete work. Jim stated that the Committee had a request of the Board. The committee wanted to know if the Board would consider changing the height of the fence around the Skateboard Park from 8' to 6'. There was some discussion on the matter. The Board agreed to change the height of the fence from 8' to 6'. Jim also stated that the Committee had received a $500 donation from the Community Service Club. Jim stated that if any of the Board members wanted a complete breakdown of the cost to let him know.
6. Shannon Woodard, from Connor & Connor, came to the meeting to give an update on where the Village stands with the $100,000 Emergency Grant. Shannon stated that a number has been assigned to the grant, but the Village still needs to receive the official notice, which will be in the form of a Grant Document that will need to be signed and dated by the Mayor and Clerk; before the agreement can be signed and date with Munson Construction. Shannon stated that IDOT will be sending a letter that will give the Village 90 day notice from the date of the letter to move the water lines. There was some discussion on the matter. It was decided to wait until next month to make any decision on where to go with the Route 33 Water and Sewer Line Project. Shannon also mentioned that IDOT has set a date for opening bids on their project of November 15th, which means that they could start on their project 4 to 6 weeks later. Ken stated that he had spoken to Representative Eddy's office about making some calls on the grant for the Village.
Ken stated that the Water/Sewer Committee met on August 18th, to look at putting in new water lines from South Taylor Street to the east edge of the Village. Ken stated that the Committee's recommendation is to have Connor & Connor go ahead and apply for a construction permit for this project. Ken stated that Munson's bid was $93,755. There was some discussion on this matter. Shannon stated that he would be submitting the paperwork on. Motion by Rick H., with a second by Joe, to go ahead a replace the water line from South Taylor Street to the east edge of the Village. Four (4) ayes, motion carried.
7. Randy stated that he had talked with Tim Attaway and Keith Waldrop. They were wanting to know if the Village could help out in some way with putting the flags out on 5 different dates (Memorial Day, Flag Day, 4th of July, September 11th and Veterans Day). Since the moving of the electric poles on Main Street, they can no longer use just a pick-up with a ladder in the bed, instead the use of a bucket truck will be needed, to put the flags up. It was discussed and a suggestion by Ken to have the Village supply the fuel for the truck was thought to be the best solutions. Motion by Joe, with a second by Ken, to supply the fuel for the bucket truck when used to put the flags out. Four (4) ayes, motion carried.
8. Randy stated that the Shriners would like to use of the 4-way Stop to pass out paper on either September 13th or 20th from 8 am to Noon (12 pm). The Board approved the request.
9. Motion by Rick H., with a second by Debi, to adopt Ordinance #2008-O-512 AAn Ordinance on Standards for Hiring Part-Time Police Officers@. Ayes: Joe, Rick H., Ken, Debi. Motion carried.
10. Under Mayor's Comments:
A. Randy stated that the Village had received a letter from MediaCom. The letter stated that MediaCom will be adding the Big Ten Network to the Family Cable package. This will be on channel 74, which was the Jewelry TV. Jewelry TV will be on channel 96. This will be effective on or about September 11th.
B. Randy stated that he was informed that there has been a fund set-up for the Tim Brooks' family for expenses while Tim is in the hospital at First Robinson Savings Bank.
11. Reports of Committees:
A. Police: Rick H. stated that the new schedule for September is out. Everyone has a copy of August monthly report. He also mentioned that Chad will have training during the end of the month. Rick stated that Chad, Randy and him had received a letter of resignation from Paul Maxwell, with an effective date of September 1st, 2008. Motion by Joe, with a second by Debi, to accept the letter of resignation. Four (4) ayes, motion carried.
B. Building and Park: Joe stated that construction on the new playground equipment will begin on September 8th through the 12th, from 8 am to A?@ each day. Joe stated that volunteers will be welcomed in assembling of the equipment.
C. Sidewalks and Lights: Debi stated that there was nothing to report at this time. Gary stated that there maybe an issue in lighting on West Main Street due to the distance between the new electric poles.
D. Street and Alley: Gary stated that the chip and seal of the streets will begin the week of September 22nd, weather permitting. This should only take a day or two.
E. Water and Sewer: Ken stated that the Committee also discussed the issue with delinquent water bill customers at the meeting of August 18th. The Committee has decided that the department apply what is already stated in handling of delinquent water bills in the Village's code book.
F. Finance: Ken mentioned that Jan and Ladora will be attending the quarterly meeting of SECICTA in Tuscola on September 11th, and also they will be going to the IML Conference on September 26th and 27th, in Chicago. The Board approved of the trips. Rick H. volunteered to initial the bills and initial the adjustment to customer accounts in the Public Works Department for the month of September.
12. Motion by Rick H., with a second by Debi, to pay the bills that were on the warranty list and any utility bills, bills that will incur a late charge or reimbursements to employees. Four (4) ayes, motion carried.
13. There was no other items of business this month.
14. Motion by Ken, with a second by Rick H., to adjourn the meeting at 7:50 pm. Four (4) ayes, motion carried.
Ladora C. Boyd