Village of Oblong
APRIL DRAFT MINUTES
The Village of Oblong Board of Trustees met in regular session on Wednesday, April 1 st, 2009, in the Farley Room of the Municipal Building.
Members Mayor Randy Rich, Clerk Ladora Boyd, Trustee Rick Catt, Trustee Joe Campanella,
Present: Trustee Rick Houdasheldt, Trustee Ken Russell, Trustee Tony Madlem, Trustee Debi Wilson and Treasurer Jan Miller.
Others Police Chief Chad Pusey, Public Works Superintendent Gary Lanter, Keith Waldrop,
Present: Tom Compton (Daily News), Kendra Bailey, Mike McReynolds, Jennifer Strum, Kenneth M. Bell, Shannon Woodard (Connor & Connor, Inc.), William Winings (WTW Salvage) and Bambi Clark (WTW Salvage).
1. The meeting was called to order at 7 pm by Mayor Rich.
2. The Regular Board Meeting minutes of March 4 th, 2009, were approved with a motion by Debi and a second by Joe. All ayes, motion carried.
3. There were no additions or deletions to the agenda this month.
4. There were two water bill customers at the meeting this month.
Mike McReynolds asked for an extension on his water bill until April 3 rd. The Board granted his request.
Jennifer Strum asked for an extension on her water bill until April 2 nd. The Board granted her request.
5. Kendra Bailey came before the Board to ask for permission to use the Park for a Dog Walk fundraiser for the Crawford County Humane Society on either June 6 th or 13 th. She handed out a sheet explaining what she was wanting to do. She stated that the tentative hours would be 10 am to noon with set-up starting at 8:30 am. She stated that the volunteers would make sure that everything was cleaned up. Motion by Rick C., with a second by Joe, to let the volunteers for Crawford County Humane Society to use the park on June 13 th for their Dog Walk fundraiser. All ayes, motion carried.
6. Kenneth Bell came before the Board to ask if there was anything that can be done about his neighbor’s dogs and cleaning up where the dogs have gone to the bathroom numerous times. He stated that when he goes out his back door the odor is really strong. Randy stated that he had contacted the Crawford County Health Department to see if there was anything they could do, but the person he needed to talk to was not there. Mr. Bell thought that the neighbor had about half a dozen dogs. If there are more than five dogs at the residence then they would be in violation of the Village’s Codes on the number of dogs that can be housed on any property. Randy stated that he would let Mr. Bell know what the Village finds out.
8. William Winings from WTW Salvage came before the Board to ask to be allowed to pick-up scrap metal, old appliances, TV and Computers. Motion by Rick C., with a second by Debi, to allow WTW Salvage on April 17 th starting at 8 am to pick-up scrap metal, old appliances, TV and Computers from the curb of residents in the Village. All ayes, motion carried.
9. The Board granted a request for the use of the Park on May 2 nd for the St. Judes’ Bike-a-thon.
10. The total for the 2009 - 2010 Working Budget is $1,030, 597.00 which is an increase from 2008 - 2009 Working Budget of $120,884.00 (this amount was due to needed updating of vehicle/equipment). Motion by Ken, with a second by Rick H., to accept the Working Budget for 2009 - 2010. Ayes: Rick C., Joe, Rick H., Ken, Tony, Debi. Motion carried.
11. The total amount for the 2009 - 2010 Appropriation is $1,357,888.00 which is an increase from 2008 - 2009 Appropriation of $134,458.00. Motion by Rick H., with a second by Debi, to adopt Ordinance #2009-O-519 “Appropriation Ordinance”. Ayes: Rick C., Joe, Rick H., Ken, Tony, Debi. Motion carried.
12. Motion by Tony, with a second by Joe, to adopt Resolution #2009-R-1 “Resolution for Maintenance of Streets and Highways by Municipality Under the Illinois Highway Code”. Ayes: Rick C., Joe, Rick H., Ken, Tony, Debi. Motion carried.
13. Motion by Rick C., with a second by Tony, to adopt Resolution #2009-R-2 “Resolution for Village of Oblong Census 2010 Proclamation”. All ayes, motion carried. Randy stated that Ken volunteered to be the chairperson for the Complete Count Committee. Randy stated that Ken will form the rest of the committee member.
14. Randy stated that the Board would need to okay a payroll deduction for any employee interested in taking out additional insurance with AFLAC. There was some discussion on this issue. Motion by Tony, with a second by Rick C., to allow any interested employee to have additional AFLAC insurance taken out of their pay check. All ayes, motion carried.
16. Randy stated that the Eastern Illinois Sportsmen’s Club would like to use the Park and Lake for their annual fishing rodeo on June 6 th, from 9am to 11:30 am. The Board granted the request.
17. Under Mayor’s Comments:
A. Randy stated that the Village Clean-up with Veolia will be April 16 th. Veolia will not take tires, car parts or yard waste, but will pick-up one appliance for paid-up customers.
B. Randy read two letters that the Village had received from MediaCom. One letter stated that there will be some changes to the music channels and that they will no longer carry the TV Guide Channel as of April 6 th. The other letter stated that there will be a rate increase as of April 24 th.
C. Randy stated that the Village had received some papers on tax sale for some property that the Village has lien on. He stated that he had the Village Attorney look into the situation and give the Village advise on what to do. Randy stated that the Village Attorney will stay abreast of the issues and let the Village know what to do along the way.
D. Randy stated that the Skate Park Committee had given him a copy of rules that they had come up with to the Skate Park and had a copy put in each of the Trustees’ mail slot. Randy also mentioned that he had a copy of the diagram for the fence placement, if anyone wanted to look at it.
18. Reports of Committees:
A. Police: Rick H. stated that everyone had a copy of the monthly report for March and schedule for April. Rick mentioned that Chad has some training this month. Rick mentioned that after the election the department will probably hire another part-time officer.
B. Building and Park: Joe stated that he had nothing to report for this month.
C. Sidewalks and Lights: Debi stated that she had nothing to report for this month.
D. Street and Alley: Tony stated that he had nothing to report for this month.
E. Water and Sewer: Ken stated that he had nothing to report for this month.
19. Motion by Ken, with a second by Tony, to pay the bills that were on the warranty list and any utility bills, bills that will incur a late charge or reimbursements to employees. All ayes, motion carried.
20. There was one other item of business this month. Chad stated that he will be giving a 30 day notice to a property owner on South Grant Street to clean-up from the demolition of a house.
21. Motion by Rick H., with a second by Rick C., to adjourn the meeting at 8:09 pm. All ayes, motion carried.
Ladora C. Boyd