Village of Oblong
AUGUST 5, 2009 DRAFT MINUTES
The Village of Oblong Board of Trustees met in regular session on Wednesday, August 5th, 2009, in the Farley Room of the Municipal Building.
Members Mayor Randy Rich, Clerk Ladora Boyd, Trustee Joe Campanella, Trustee Rick
Present: Houdasheldt, Trustee Ken Russell, Trustee Tony Madlem, Trustee Debi Wilson and Treasurer Jan Miller.
Absent: Trustee Rick Catt.
Others Police Chief Chad Pusey, Public Works Superintendent Gary Lanter, Tom Compton
Present: (Daily News) and Vickie Ferguson (Oblong Gem).
1. The meeting was called to order at 7:00 pm by Mayor Rich.
2. The Regular Board Meeting minutes of July 1st, 2009, were approved with a motion by Debi and a second by Tony. Five (5) ayes, motion carried.
3. There was one deletion to the agenda this month. Connor & Connor, Inc. did not have any bills for the Village on the Rt. 33 Water Line Relocation Project.
4. There were no water bill customers at the meeting this month.
5. Randy stated that Brian Bradbury had met with the Finance Committee at 6 pm this evening to go over the Audit for Fiscal Year 2009. The Village had a clean audit report. The Village’s finances are very sound.
6. Randy stated that he had talked to John Stone of Connor & Connor, Inc. about the permit for the uptown street lights. John stated that he is still waiting on some specs from State to finish the permit application for the Village. John also told Randy that there is another company wanting to give the Village a quote on the 14 uptown street lights.
7. Randy stated that Ordinance #2009-O-522 “An Ordinance Adopting Certain Procedures Regarding Dangerous and Unsafe Buildings and Authorizing the Village Enforcement Officer to Enforce Such Procedures”, was still at the Village Attorney’s office.
8. Motion by Joe, with a second by Debi, to adopt Resolution #2009-R-5 “Homecoming Parade Permit” for September 11th, 2009. Five (5) ayes, motion carried.
9. Motion by Joe, with a second by Tony, to adopt Resolution #2009-R-6 “Halloween Parade Permit” for October 31st, 2009. Five (5) ayes, motion carried.
10. Under Mayor’s Comments:
A. Randy stated that Keiffer Brothers has been working right along, even with the rains, on the Rt 33 project. Randy stated that he had not heard many complaints from the citizens yet.
B. Randy stated that there needs to be a member of the Board on the Tourism Advisory Board. Debi volunteered to be on the Tourism Advisory Board. The other members are Sherry Catt and Keith Waldrop.
11. Reports of Committees:
A. Police: Joe stated that Chad will be having training on October 27th - 28th on Street Survival in Urbana. Joe stated that the department is going to try for a grant from U of I. The grant will be used to replace some old equipment, if received. Joe stated that Chad had qualification with the rifle today and that there has been a DUI task force last Saturday. Chad stated that there would be a few more before September.
B. Building and Park: Debi stated that she had nothing to report this month.
C. Sidewalks and Lights: Rick H. stated that he had nothing to report this month.
D. Street and Alley: Tony asked Gary if the chip and seal would be done this month? Gary stated that it would probably be September. Tony stated that the catch boxes on East Illinois is finished except the black top and cleaning up people’s yards. Gary stated that there had been 8 street signs damaged.
E. Water and Sewer: Ken stated that the committee had a meeting on July 7th to review an application to have the Public Works Department join the Illinois Water/Wastewater Agency Response Network. This would be a mutual aid agreement. Motion by Ken, with a second by Rick H., to join the Illinois Water/Wastewater Agency Response Network. Five (5) ayes, motion carried.
F. Finance: Randy asked for a volunteer for the month of August. Ken volunteered to initial the bills and the adjustment to customer accounts in the Public Works Department for the month of August. Jan stated that she had sent the Annual Treasurer’s Report to the Gem to be published.
12. Motion by Tony, with a second by Debi, to pay the bills that were on the warranty list and any utility bills, bills that will incur a late charge or reimbursements to employees. Five (5) ayes, motion carried.
13. There was one other item of business this month. Debi asked about the Revolving Loan Fund. Randy stated that there had been 2 loans. Debi asked about the amount left to be loaned. Randy stated that there was about $80,000 left to be loaned out.
14. Motion by Rick H., with a second by Tony, to adjourn the meeting at 7:16 pm. Five (5) ayes, motion carried.
Ladora C. Boyd