Village of Oblong
January 7, 2009
The Village of Oblong Board of Trustees met in regular session on Wednesday, January 7 th, 2009, in the Farley Room of the Municipal Building.
Members Mayor Randy Rich, Clerk Ladora Boyd, Trustee Rick Catt, Trustee Joe Campanella,
Present: Trustee Ken Russell, Trustee Tony Madlem and Treasurer Jan Miller.
Absent: Trustee Rick Houdasheldt and Trustee Debi Wilson.
Others Police Chief Chad Pusey, Public Works Superintendent Gary Lanter, Tom Compton
Present: (Daily News), Charlotte Cannon (Oblong Gem), Gary Lawhead, Keith Waldrop, Joe R. Byler, Melvin Mart and Joe L. Yoder.
1. The meeting was called to order at 7 pm by Mayor Rich.
2. The Regular Board Meeting minutes of December 3 rd, 2008, were approved with a motion by Tony and a second by Joe. Four (4) ayes, motion carried.
3. There was one addition to the agenda this month. Joe Byler asked to speak to the Board about renting the Activity Center on March 7 th, May 16 th, July 11 th, September 5 th and November 14 th, to have fundraiser breakfasts for the Amish School. The Board had no problem with the request. Randy told Mr. Byler that he would need to speak with Dale Davis to make sure that the dates are available. They will have to pay the rent for the Activity Center (Commercial Rate).
4. There were no water bill customer at the meeting this month.
5. Motion by Joe, with a second by Rick C., to adopt Ordinance #2009-O-515 “Cable & Video Customer Protection Law”. Four (4) ayes, motion carried.
6. Motion by Tony, with a second by Ken, to adopt Ordinance #2009-O-516 “Cable/Video Service Provider Fee”. Four (4) ayes, motion carried.
7. Motion by Rick C., with a second by Tony, to adopt Ordinance #2009-O-517 “ An Ordinance Amending the Municipal Code of the Village of Oblong by the Addition of Article XI to Chapter 33 Establishing Standards for the Construction of Facilities on the Right-of-Way”. Four (4) ayes, motion carried.
8. Randy stated that the amount to be repaid is $7,500 (includes legal fees, filing fees and demolition of the buildings at 403 West Illinois Street) and that Jeff’s brother, Gary Lawhead, was here to let the Village know what he thought they could pay a month. Gary stated that they could possibly pay at least $70/month. He stated that if they could pay more than $70, they would. When they sale the lot, they will pay the remaining balance off. Motion by Rick C., with a second by Tony, to adopt Ordinance #2009-O-518 “An Ordinance Approving an Agreement Between Jeffery Lawhead and the Village of Oblong, Illinois”. Four (4) ayes, motion carried.
9. Under Mayor’s Comments: A. Randy stated that he had nothing this month.
A. Police: Chad stated that there would be normal training this month. Chad also stated that the Board had the December Monthly Report and 2008 Year End Report.
B. Building and Park: Joe stated that he had nothing to report for this month.
C. Sidewalks and Lights: Gary stated that he had nothing to report for this month.
D. Street and Alley: Tony stated that he had nothing to report for this month.
E. Water and Sewer: Ken stated that most of the main water lines for the Route 33 Water Relocation Project are in the ground. Also, that Mike Munson will be working through the rest of this winter, weather permitting, on service hook-ups and tie-ins. Ken stated that there is to be a JULIE Seminar on February 3 rd, in Effingham that Gary, Travis, Rick White and Jason would like to attend (they will make sure to have some one to work if there would be an emergency) and there will be an IRWA Conference on February 17 th & 18 th, in Effingham that Gary and Travis would like to attend. Both request were granted. Gary stated that there will be an IRWA Training Session in May that will be held here in Oblong in the Activity Center.
F. Finance: Rick C. thanked Tony for initialing the bills and the adjustment to customer accounts in the Public Works Department for December. Rick asked for a volunteer for January. Joe volunteer to initial the bills and the adjustment to customer accounts in the Public Works Department for January.
11. Motion by Tony, with a second by Joe, to pay the bills that were on the warranty list and any utility bills, bills that will incur a late charge or reimbursements to employees. Four (4) ayes, motion carried.
12. There was one other item of business this month. Randy stated that a situation came up last month where after the sick days were paid out an employee need some time off; to make sure that when situation comes up again there will be no question as how to handle it there needs to be something in writing on the employee guideline policy. Randy read what he felt sure stated in the employee guideline policy. Statement as follows: “If sick days have been paid and an additional day or days are needed at the end of December, those days will be taken without pay.”
Motion by Rick C., with a second by Tony, to add to the Employee Guideline Policy under item V. SICK LEAVE & PERSONAL DAYS/PERSONAL LEAVE, after the 3 rd paragraph the following sentence: If sick days have been paid and an additional day or days are needed at the end of December, those days will be taken without pay. Four (4) ayes, motion carried.
13. Motion by Rick C., with a second by Joe, to adjourn the meeting at 7:31 pm. Four (4) ayes, motion carried.