Village of Oblong
JULY 1, 2009 MINUTES
The Village of Oblong Board of Trustees met in regular session on Wednesday, July 1st, 2009, in the Farley Room of the Municipal Building.
Members Mayor Randy Rich, Clerk Ladora Boyd, Trustee Rick Catt, Trustee Joe Campanella,
Present: Trustee Rick Houdasheldt, Trustee Ken Russell, Trustee Tony Madlem, Trustee Debi Wilson and Treasurer Jan Miller.
Others Police Chief Chad Pusey, Public Works Superintendent Gary Lanter, Tom Compton
Present: (Daily News), Vickie Ferguson (Oblong Gem), Mike McReynolds and John Stone (Connor & Connor, Inc.).
1. The meeting was called to order at 7:00 pm by Mayor Rich.
2. The Regular Board Meeting minutes of June 3rd, 2009, were approved with a motion by Rick C. and a second by Joe. All ayes, motion carried.
3. The Special Board Meeting minutes of June 11th, 2009, were approved with a motion by Tony and a second by Rick H. All ayes, motion carried.
4. There was one deletion to the agenda this month. Connor & Connor, Inc. did not have any bills for the Village on the Rt. 33 Water Line Relocation Project.
5. There was one water bill customer at the meeting this month. Mr. McReynolds came before the Board to ask for an extension on his late water bill until July 2nd. The Board granted Mr. McReynolds request.
6. John Stone (Connor & Connor, Inc.) came before the Board to give an update of the changing of the light poles in the downtown area. If the Board decides to go with 30 ft poles, IDOT requires that the Village put up 17 or 18 light poles. If the Board decides to go with 40 ft poles, IDOT requires that the Village put up 13 or 14 light poles. The cost of the poles, light arms and lights is $5,000 to $6,000 each. John stated that IDOT does not require the conduit to be trenched under the sidewalks, but will need to be bored under the intersections. IDOT told John that the Village will not need to put the project up for bids. The Village will need to submit a utility permit application along with a design (diagram). John stated that he had given the spec list to Tony. There was some decision on this issue. The Board decided to go with the 40ft light poles. Motion by Rick H., with a second by Joe, to have Connor & Connor, Inc. go ahead and submit the utility permit application and design. All ayes, motion carried.
7. Randy stated that he felt the Village attorney should look over Ordinance #2009-O-522 “An Ordinance Adopting Certain Procedures Regarding Dangerous and Unsafe Buildings and Authorizing the Village Enforcement Officer to Enforce Such Procedures”, before the Board considers adopting it. The Board agreed with Randy and tabled the Ordinance until the Village Attorney looks it over. Randy asked for a couple of the Trustees to volunteer to meet with him and the Village Attorney. Tony and Rick H. volunteered.
8. Motion by Tony, with a second by Debi, to accept the MFT Bid for the Chip and Seal of several streets in the Village for $41,942.30. All ayes, motion carried.
9. Randy stated that the property at 505 South Adams has been purchased and the new owner has started the clean-up and has the garage torn down. The surrounding neighbors are pleased with the progress.
10. Under Mayor’s Comments:
A. Randy stated that the Village had received a “Thank you” card from the family of Larry Fear for the funeral arrangement.
B. Randy mentioned that the new picture on the south wall of the Farley Room was donated by Jan Miller and her Family. The picture is an eagle flying in front of the American Flag.
11. Reports of Committees:
A. Police: Joe stated that Chad will be on vacation until July 12th. Joe stated that the new squad has the detailing done and is in full service now. Chad mentioned that there is a banquet in conjunction with the Click or Ticket it Campaign on July 17th in Springfield. The Village place 3rd in their group size. Chad stated that there is a training session on July 29th for School Violation in Mattoon.
B. Building and Park: Debi stated that the committee will be having a meeting on July 7th at 4:30 pm.
C. Sidewalks and Lights: Rick H. stated that everything had been taken care of earlier in the meeting so he has nothing else to report for this month.
D. Street and Alley: Tony stated that everything had been taken care of earlier in the meeting so he has nothing else to report for this month.
E. Water and Sewer: Ken stated that the committee will be having a meeting following the Building/Park Meeting on July 7th. The committee would like to recommend that the Village hire a Part-Time Employee in the Public Works Department , from the existing application already on file with Village Clerk, for the time frame of construction on Route 33. The Board agreed with the request.
F. Finance: Rick C. thanked Joe for initialing the bills and the adjustment to customer accounts in the Public Works Department for June. Rick asked for a volunteer for the month of July. Rick H. volunteered to initial the bills and the adjustment to customer accounts in the Public Works Department for the month of July.
12. Motion by Rick H., with a second by Joe, to pay the bills that were on the warranty list and any utility bills, bills that will incur a late charge or reimbursements to employees. All ayes, motion carried.
13. There was one other item of business this month. Gary stated that he wanted to update the Board on what the Chamber of Commerce is talking about for the Fall Follies this year. The Chamber is thinking of have the first 3 blocks of South Range for the venders and people that normally set-up on Main Street. Gary also mentioned that the Village should still send in requests for the Homecoming Parade and Halloween Parade for this year even though the request will probably be denied due to the construction on Route 33.
14. Motion by Rick C., with a second by Tony, to adjourn the meeting at 7:56 pm. All ayes, motion carried.
Ladora C. Boyd