Village of Oblong
June 11, 2009 Special Board Meeting
The Village Board of Trustees met in special session on Thursday, June 11th, 2009, in the Farley Room of the Municipal Building.
Members Mayor Randy Rich, Clerk Ladora Boyd, Trustee Joe Campanella, Trustee Rick
Present: Houdasheldt, Trustee Ken Russell, Trustee Tony Madlem, Trustee Debi Wilson and Treasurer Jan Miller.
Absent: Trustee Rick Catt.
Others Public Works Superintendent Gary Lanter, Police Chief Chad Pusey, John Stone
Present: (Connor & Connor, Inc.), and Sherry Catt.
1. At 7 pm, the Mayor called the Special Meeting to order.
2. Randy stated that he had received an estimate from the State on the cost of replacing the street lights and brushed aluminum poles in the business district here in the Village. The estimate was for 14 street lights and poles. The estimate was $121,765 for the new lights and poles plus an additional cost for temporary lighting of $52,500.
3. Randy stated that he had contacted a gentleman, from Mattoon, to get an estimate from him. The estimate was around $67,000. Until the Village gets the approval from state with exact specifications, the Village Board could not get a good quote of cost.
4. Randy stated that Tony had contacted a couple of companies about their prices.
5. There was some discussion on this matter plus the possibly moving the lights from the north side of Main Street to the south side and with some input from John Stone. John stated that Connor & Connor would do the design and send it in for approval if the Village wanted to proceed. Randy asked the Board if they wanted to proceed with design and engineering. Randy also wanted to know what the Board’s feeling was on an amount that the Board would say it was no longer feasible. There was some discussion with the Board stating that if the expense for the new lights and poles was between $60,000 to $90,000. Tony will be making some calls to get some information on the prices and what Ameren CIPs will want.
6. Motion by Rick H., with a second by Tony, for Connor & Connor to go ahead and draw up the design &engineering. Five (5) ayes, motion carried.
7. Motion by Debi, with a second by Joe, to adjourn at 7:39 pm. Five (5) ayes, motion carried.