Village of Oblong
MAY DRAFT MINUTES
The Village of Oblong Board of Trustees met in regular session on Wednesday, May 6th, 2009, in the Farley Room of the Municipal Building.
Members Mayor Randy Rich, Clerk Ladora Boyd, Trustee Joe Campanella, Trustee Rick
Present: Houdasheldt, Trustee Ken Russell, Trustee Tony Madlem and Treasurer Jan Miller.
Absent: Trustee Rick Catt and Trustee Debi Wilson.
Others Police Chief Chad Pusey, Public Works Superintendent Gary Lanter, Clifford Dennis,
Present: Tom Compton (Daily News), Patty Weaver, Gerald Weaver, Nancy Russell, Kenneth M. Bell, Jarrett Johnson (Connor & Connor, Inc.), Harold Coulter, Shirley Coulter, Jeanne Hinterscher, Ron Hinterscher, Vickie Ferguson (Oblong Gem), Carrie Sablone, Paula Myers and Harlei Myers.
1. The Village Clerk swore in Randy Rich, as mayor; Rick Houdasheldt, as trustee; and Ken Russell, as trustee; before the Board Meeting was called to order.
2. The meeting was called to order at 7:04 pm by Mayor Rich.
3. The Mayor reappointed Ladora Boyd (Village Clerk), Jan Miller (Deputy Clerk & Treasurer), Chad Pusey (Police Chief) and Gary Lanter (Public Works Superintendent). Their terms will run concurrently with the Mayor’s term of office.
4. There was one addition to the agenda this month. Randy stated that there would be a Resolution to adopt the Crawford County Multi–Hazard Mitigation Plan.
5. The Regular Board Meeting minutes of April 1st, 2009, were approved with a motion by Rick H. and a second by Joe. Four (4) ayes, motion carried.
6. There were no water bill customers at the meeting this month.
7. Kenneth Bell came before the Board to state that he felt that there had been no improvement about the cleaning up where the dogs have gone to the bathroom numerous times in his neighbors yard. He also has a problem with the way the neighbor’s relative mows the yard because he mows on to Mr. Bell’s property. The Mayor stated that Chad had checked on the issue with the dog waste and found that the waste had been pick-up and put in a garbage can. The Mayor stated that the mowing on to Mr. Bell’s property was not an issue for the Village of Oblong to handle. Mr. Bell’s neighbor, Carrie Sablone, had written a letter and gave it to the Board after Mr. Bell left the meeting.
8. Jarrett Johnson came to the meeting to give a brief update on the Route 33 Main Water line relocation project as May 6th, the old main has been abandoned from Taylor Street to the Booster Station; and all services that needed to be moved with the exception of the Grade School (which will be done either on a day when there is no school during the week or Saturday, so as not to interrupt their water service). Jarrett also stated that he will be getting with Gary about the Punch-List for the project. Randy stated that he had talked with Shannon earlier and that Shannon is going to revise the cost analysis to reflect the payment that the Board is voting on tonight. Jarrett stated that Pay Estimate #5 for Munson Construction is $52,275.00, for work up to May 10th and the amount for Inspection by Connor & Connor, Inc. for April is $10,603.44. Motion by Ken, with a second by Rick H., to pay the amount to Munson Construction and to Connor & Connor, Inc. for April Inspection. Four (4) ayes, motion carried.
There was some discussion on when IDOT was going to start. Jarrett thought is would be after school is out for the summer. Randy also stated that he wanted to thank the residents who live on Main Street for their patience.
9. Motion by Joe, with a second by Tony, to grant a request for the use of the Park on September 26th, 2009, for Oldies in the Park and Fireworks sponsored by the Oblong Chamber of Commerce. Four (4) ayes, motion carried.
10. Motion by Tony, with a second by Rick H., to adopt Resolution #2009-R-3 “Resolution Urging Passage of a Comprehensive Capital Infrastructure Program”. Four (4) ayes, motion carried.
11. Motion by Rick H., with a second by Tony, to adopt Resolution #2009-R-4 “Adopting the Crawford County Multi–Hazard Mitigation Plan”. Four (4) ayes, motion carried.
12. Motion by Tony, with a second by Ken, to grant a request for use of the Park on August 7th, 8th and 9th by the Antique Tractor and Engine Club for their annual Antique Tractor and Engine Show. Four (4) ayes, motion carried.
13. Motion by Tony, with a second by Joe, to grant a request for the use of the 4-way stop on May 30th from 8 am to 12 pm (noon) for the collection for the Children’s Miracle Network. Four (4) ayes, motion carried.
14. Randy stated that he had been contacted by Mr. Dennis about the buildings and trash located at 505 South Adams Street. Mr. Dennis asked for an extension on bring the house up to specs or torn down if beyond repair and tearing down the garage until July 1st. He also stated that he would start as soon as possible getting the trash/garbage cleaned up. Some of the neighbors around the 505 South Adams Street property stated that they feel there should have been enough time that was stated in the letter received by Mr. Dennis from the Village for there to have been some work done. Mr. Dennis stated that he was told by the occupants that they would do the necessary clean-up and work on the repairs, but did not do what they said they would. One neighbor also stated that the residents play there stereo so loud and would leave the front door wide open so that you could here it outside the home. Chad stated that the neighbors needed to contact the Dispatcher at the Sheriff’s Department and lodge a complaint when the noise was too loud. Motion by Tony, with a second by Ken, to give Mr. Dennis the extension he asked for. Four (4) ayes, motion carried.
15. Under Mayor’s Comments:
A. Randy mentioned the passing of Robinson Mayor Gary Davis and wished to send the Village’s condolences to the family of Mayor Davis.
B. Randy stated that he wanted to thank the Character Counts from the Grade School for the mulching and picking up of trash and limbs at the Mini Park and the Oblong Park and Lake.
C. Randy stated that the Village had received a check from Illinois Department of Transportation for the amount of $159,852.85 for the reimbursement of the State’s part of the relocation of the main water lines.
D. Randy stated that the Village had also received a check from Illinois Department of Natural Resource OSLAD Grant in the amount of $40,000.00 for the New Playground Equipment. This was a matching grant. Randy wanted to again thank everyone who helped with the playground equipment.
E. Randy mentioned that he would be having Ladora send a couple of letters for junk/hazards (South Range) and a hole in a roof (North Range).
F. Randy stated that he and Ladora are working on a letter to Mr. Colmark about the unpaid mowing bill of $900 from last year. Until the Village receives prepayment for this year’s mowing, the Village will not have mowing done; so, he will probably be receiving weed ordinance violation citations.
16. Reports of Committees:
A. Police: Rick H. stated that everyone had a copy of the monthly report for April and schedule for May. Chad mentioned that there has been a Sewer Ordinance Violation Notice sent out and the problem is being taken care of. Chad also mentioned that the new squad car will be ready for pick-up on Tuesday, May 12th. Chad stated that the Newton Police Department had purchased the video camera from the 2004 squad car.
B. Building and Park: Joe stated that he had nothing to report for this month. Gary stated that there had been some money received from the family of Norma Rice for a Memorial to her; he stated that the money would help with some improvements to the JayCee Shelter out at the Park. He stated that the only request by the family was a packet in remembrance of their mother.
C. Sidewalks and Lights: Randy stated that he had told Gary about a couple of problems with some street lights. There was nothing else to report.
D. Street and Alley: Tony stated that he had nothing to report for this month.
E. Water and Sewer: Ken stated that the committee had a meeting on April 21st, to review the Route 33 Water Main Lines Relocation Project. The committee met with Shannon Woodard of Connor & Connor, Inc.
F. Finance: Randy stated that Debi volunteered to initial the bills and the adjustment to customer accounts in the Public Works Department for May. Jan mentioned that the auditors will be here to audit the Village the week of May 18th. The Audit will probably be from May 18th to May 21st or 22nd. Randy stated that he had made some changes to the committees. The committees are as follows:
FINANCE: Rick Catt - Ken Russell - Debi Wilson
LAW: Joe Campanella - Tony Madlem - Debi Wilson
BUILDING/PARK: Debi Wilson - Rick Houdasheldt - Rick Catt
WATER/SEWER: Ken Russell - Debi Wilson - Tony Madlem
STREET/ALLEY: Tony Madlem - Ken Russell - Rick Houdasheldt
SIDEWALKS/LIGHT: Rick Houdasheldt - Joe Campanella - Rick Catt
17. Motion by Joe, with a second by Ken, to pay the bills that were on the warranty list and any utility bills, bills that will incur a late charge or reimbursements to employees. Four (4) ayes, motion carried.
18. There were no other items of business this month.
19. Motion by Rick H., with a second by Tony, to adjourn the meeting at 7:52 pm. Four (4) ayes, motion carried.
Ladora C. Boyd