Village of Oblong
October 2009 Draft Minutes
The Village of Oblong Board of Trustees met in regular session on Wednesday, October 7th, 2009, in the Farley Room of the Municipal Building.
Members Mayor Randy Rich, Clerk Ladora Boyd, Trustee Rick Catt, Trustee Joe Campanella,
Present: Trustee Rick Houdasheldt, Trustee Ken Russell, Trustee Tony Madlem, Trustee Debi Wilson and Treasurer Jan Miller.
Others Police Chief Chad Pusey, Public Works Superintendent Gary Lanter, Tom Compton
Present: (Daily News), Shannon Woodard (Connor & Connor, Inc.) and Atta Shahid.
1. The meeting was called to order at 7:00 pm by Mayor Rich.
2. The Regular Board Meeting minutes of September 2nd, 2009, were approved with a motion by Rick C. and a second by Debi. All ayes, motion carried.
3. There were no additions or deletions to the agenda this month.
4. There were no water bill customers at the meeting this month.
5. Randy stated that Dan Elkan (whose company is a preferred developer for Dollar General in Illinois) was planning on attending the Board Meeting tonight, but had an out-of-state meeting he needed to attend, so he e-mailed what the company has planned and requirements needed from the Village. Dan’s Company is planning to build a 9100 square feet store. They expect sales should be 1.2 to 1.5 million dollars annually with gradual increases each year. The cost of the project is approximately $850,000. They have already received the approval from Dollar General’s real estate department and have gone under contract with the Goodwins (property owners) for some property on the west side of town, which will be the future site. They hope to have the store open by June 1st, 2010. There are three (3) hurdles to overcome before starting. The hurdles are as follows: 1. Water and Sewer lines to the site; 2. TIF district set up for the development; and 3. Annexation of the ground into the Village limits. These hurdles are the Village responsibility. When the three (3) hurdles have been accomplished then they will start the construction.
Tony stated that there was a gentleman from DMI coming Monday, October 12th, to see if it will be feasible to get the TIF district.
There was some discussion on this matter. Motion by Tony, with a second by Ken, to proceed with getting the three (3) hurdles taken care of. All ayes, motion carried.
6. Randy stated that he had received a letter from the Oblong Chamber of Commerce requesting additional street closing on South Range Street from Indiana Street to East Kentucky Street on October 31st for additional vendor spaces during Fall Follies. Motion by Rick C., with a second by Tony, to allow additional street closing on South Range Street from Indiana Street to East Kentucky Street for October 31st. All ayes, motion carried.
There was some discussion on the Marching Band Competition route. Gary stated that he was told that the bands would come up South Adams Street to West Tennessee Street to South Range Street and back to the High School. Motion by Rick C., with a second by Joe, to close South Range Street from West Tennessee Street to East Florida Street for the Marching Band Competition on October 31st. All ayes, motion carried.
7. Shannon came to update the Board to request payment for Pay Estimate #8 to Munson construction in the amount of $7,500 and the remaining $4,000 from Pay Estimate #7.
Motion by Rick H., with a second by Ken, to pay PE #7 and #8 to Munson Construction $11,500. All ayes, motion carried.
This will leave a retainage of $500, which will be paid upon completion of the Route 33 Water/Sewer Line Relocation Project.
8. Rick H. stated that there was a meeting with a gentleman from a company that has concrete light poles similar to the current light poles in the Business District of Oblong. The pole height would be 35 ft. The estimated total for the fourteen (14) lights for the Business District is $84,000. The state estimate was $122,000. If the Village Board decides to go with aluminum poles, it would be about $15,000 less. There was some discussion on this issue before any action was taken.
Motion by Ken, with a second by Joe, to go ahead and get all the information for what the Village will want for the speaker system and banners/snowflakes attachments for a more accurate price for the light poles in the Business District. All ayes, motion carried.
9. Rick C. opened the bids for the three (3) trucks that were for sale by the Village. They are as follows:
1978 Chevrolet ¾ ton 4x4 pickup - one (1) bid of $400 from Lloyd Tracy
1987 Dodge Ram 350 with 10 ft dump bed - three (3) bids of $3,750 from William J. Roberts – $1,726 from Clell Fry – $400 from Lloyd Tracy
1997 Dodge Ram 1500 pickup - one (1) bid of $400 from Lloyd Tracy
Motion by Tony, with a second by Rick H., to accept the bid of $3,750 for the 1987 Dodge Ram 350 Dump Truck from William J. Roberts. All ayes, motion carried.
Motion by Tony, with a second by Debi, to accept the bids of $400 each for the 1978 Chevrolet ¾ ton pickup and 1997 Dodge Ram 1500 pickup from Lloyd Tracy. All ayes, motion carried.
10. There was some discussion on what day to set as Trick or Treat night in Oblong. Motion by Debi, with a second by Rick C., to set Trick or Treat night in Oblong for October 29th, from 5 pm to 8 pm and only to houses with their front door/porch light on. All ayes, motion carried.
11. Under Mayor’s Comments: Randy stated that on October 21st WTW Salvage will be picking up scrap metal, old appliances, computers and televisions (there will be a charge of small $3 – medium $5 – large $8 – Big Screen $10). The Fall Clean-Up with Veolia will be on October 22nd.
12. Reports of Committees:
A. Police: Joe read the monthly report. Joe mentioned that the Police Department will be receiving a grant from Wal*Mart in the amount of $1,000. Joe mentioned that Chad will be attending a Street Survival training session on October 27th and 28th, in Champaign/Urbana. Joe stated that there will be some kids from the High School doing job shadowing for about 4 hours a day. Chad is hoping that it will only be with him. Joe stated that there needed to be a change made in the operational manual of the police department, which he read during the meeting. Motion by Rick H., with a second by Tony, to put in the OPD Operational Manual the following statement:
2.10.0 Use of Seat Belts and Prisoner Transport
All officers and persons that ride in a Village of Oblong Police vehicle must wear a safety seatbelt unless circumstances prevent the use of a seatbelt or other circumstances are present.
All prisoners and/or persons that are being transported in the back seat of Village of Oblong Police vehicle shall be securely fastened in a safety seatbelt. This shall not be the case in which circumstances prevent such action from being taken.
All officers that violates these rules will be subject to the following disciplinary action:
1. First Violation will result in a verbal warning.
2. Second Violation will result in a written reprimand.
3. Third Violation can result in a suspension.
4. More than three reprimands can result in action by the Village Board.
All ayes, motion carried.
Still waiting to hear wether the department has received a grant for $22,000 that Chad has applied for.
B. Building and Park: Debi stated that the Metal Meet will be October 13th through the 19th. This year the Metal Meet group is planning on donating to the Playground Equipment Fund. Debi mentioned that there have been some vandalism in the park, so, the committee felt that the police will have to start enforcing the 10 pm closure of the park by first giving warnings and then if repeat offenders they will get ticketed.
C. Sidewalks and Lights: Rick H. stated that he had nothing else to report this month.
D. Street and Alley: Tony stated that the chip and seal has been completed. Tony mentioned that the Contractor for IDOT have been and will be closing streets as needed for construction.
E. Water and Sewer: Ken stated that the committee met before the Board Meeting to discuss enhancing the existing water line north and east of Oblong. This would give the existing water customers in this area better water pressure. The line would start at 1200N go east to 450E North to 1350N west to 300N. The line would either be a 4" or 6" line. The cost would be between $60,000 to $75,000. Motion by Ken, with a second by Tony, to install jump over lines north and east of Oblong to enhance the existing line. All ayes, motion carried. The Village could possibly pick-up some new customers. The Public Works employees are planning to do the majority of the installation work. The employees will not do any boring or trenching work.
F. Finance: Rick C. asked for a volunteer to initial the bills and the adjustment to customer accounts in the Public Works Department for the month of October. Rick H. volunteered for the month of October.
13. Motion by Rick C., with a second by Debi, to pay the bills that were on the warranty list and any utility bills, bills that will incur a late charge or reimbursements to employees. All ayes, motion carried.
14. There was one other item of business this month. Debi stated about the Skateboard Park and the weed growth.. She wanted to know who was to maintain the grass on the inside of the fence. Randy stated that he would contact Dave Hasty about the situation.
15. Motion by Rick H., with a second by Tony, to adjourn the meeting at 8:04 pm. All ayes, motion carried.
Ladora C. Boyd