Village of Oblong
September 2009 Draft Minutes
The Village of Oblong Board of Trustees met in regular session on Wednesday, September 2nd, 2009, in the Farley Room of the Municipal Building.
Members Mayor Randy Rich, Clerk Ladora Boyd, Trustee Rick Catt, Trustee Joe Campanella,
Present: Trustee Ken Russell, Trustee Tony Madlem, Trustee Debi Wilson and Treasurer Jan Miller.
Absent: Trustee Rick Houdasheldt.
Others Police Chief Chad Pusey, Public Works Superintendent Gary Lanter, Tom Compton
Present: (Daily News), Vickie Ferguson (Oblong Gem), Shannon Woodard (Connor & Connor, Inc.) and Rhonda Morris.
1. The meeting was called to order at 7:00 pm by Mayor Rich.
2. The Regular Board Meeting minutes of August 5th, 2009, were approved with a motion by Joe and a second by Ken. Five (5) ayes, motion carried.
3. There was one addition to the agenda this month. Connor & Connor, Inc. had some bills for the Village on the Rt. 33 Water Line Relocation Project.
4. There was one water bill customer at the meeting this month. Rhonda Morris came before the Board to ask for a two week extension on her water bill. The Board granted her request.
5. Shannon came to update the Board on the progress of the Rt. 33 Water Line Relocation Project. He stated that there was about a 4 page Punch List of thing the contractor would need to do before the retainage can be paid. Shannon stated that on the Punch List there are five or so items that could be done now and the rest Shannon suggested be done after the Rt. 33 road project is finished. There was some discussion on this issue. Shannon presented bills to be paid for the work already completed. Pay Estimate #7 to Munson construction in the amount of $30,513.49 and pay to Connor & Connor, Inc. in the amount of $7,785.23 (Project Management $6,200.00; June Inspection $1,256.43; August Inspection $237.24; June Right-of-Way $91.56).
Motion by Ken, with a second by Rick C., to pay Connor & Connor, Inc. $7,785.23 and approve Pay Estimate #7 to Munson Construction $30,513.49 less $4,000.00, which will be due and payable upon completion of Preliminary Punch List. Five (5) ayes, motion carried.
This will leave a retainage of $8,000, which will be due upon completion of the Final Punch List. Shannon stated that he will be sending in a request to Ken Grove of Illinois Department of Transportation for the State’s portion of the project, which is in the amount of $63,088.11.
Shannon stated that he had received the paperwork for the final report for the grant, that the Village received to help with the project. He stated that he would have the paperwork ready for the October Board Meeting and that there would need to be a public hearing scheduled for 6:45 pm before the October meeting.
6. Motion by Tony, with a second by Debi, to adopt Ordinance #2009-O-522 “Tax Levy”. Five (5) ayes, motion carried.
7. Tony stated that there is a company that is wanting to give the Village a price on two different designs of concrete light poles and the cobra light fixtures. Randy stated that by next month’s Board Meeting there will be enough information for the Board to vote on what type of poles for the downtown area.
8. Under Mayor’s Comments:
A. Randy stated that the Village’s Motor Fuel Tax Fund’s 2008 Audit had been completed by the state.
B. Randy stated that the Shriners have requested to use the 4-way stop either on September 12th or 19th to pass out their hospital paper. The Board granted the request.
C. Randy stated that he had received a letter from Illinois Municipal League stating that the Village had been awarded a Risk Management Association Safety Award for 2008.
D. Randy mentioned that Fall Clean-Up will be October 22nd, (Bagged, Bundled or Boxed plus one appliance per paid household; no car parts). Also WTW Salvage has asked to come in and pick up scrap metal, old appliances, televisions and computers. There will be a charge for televisions (small $3 – medium $5 – large $8 – Big Screen $10). The Board set the date for WTW Salvage to be October 21st.
E. Randy stated that the Village had received a letter from IDOT denying the parade permits due to the construction on Rt. 33.
Gary stated that the Band Boosters were working on a marching band only parade for judging purposes only during the Band Fest on October 31st. The Board will be given a more detailed route at the next Board Meeting.
Chad stated that the Homecoming Parade will start at the High School go north down South Range Street to Missouri turn west and go towards the Elementary School this year with the Board’s permission. Motion by Rick C., with a second by Tony, to allow the Homecoming Parade to use the above streets for the parade this year. Five (5) ayes, motion carried.
F. Randy read a letter sent to the Village from MediaCom stating that the TV Guide will be on channel 291 and will not include a scrolling program guide.
G. Randy stated that there will be an Emergency Service Expo on September 26 with lives demonstrations on the Midway out at the Park. This will be along with the Oldies in the Park & Fireworks that evening.
9. Reports of Committees:
A. Police: Joe stated that the department had applied for a $20,200 Federal grant for updating equipment in the squad cars. The department should hear if we received the grant by the end of the month.
B. Building and Park: Debi stated that the committee and Gary had come up with a policy for Landscaping, Construction or Renovation in the Oblong Park for memory of someone. Motion by Debi, with a second by Tony, to adopt the policy as printed. Five (5) ayes, motion carried.
C. Sidewalks and Lights: Gary stated that he had nothing to report this month.
D. Street and Alley: Tony asked Gary if the chip and seal would be done this month? Gary stated that it would be this month.
E. Water and Sewer: Ken stated that Gary and Travis would like permission to attend a International Construction Utility Expo seminar on October 6th & 7th, in Louisville, Kentucky. The Board granted the request. Ken mentioned that the IRWA will be having a monthly training session here at Oblong on September 17th.
F. Finance: Rick C. stated that Jan and Ladora would like permission to attend the quarterly SECICTA meeting in Altamont on September 9th. The Board granted the request. Rick thanked Ken for initialing the bills and the adjustment to customer accounts in the Public Works Department for the month of August. Rick volunteered to initial the bills and the adjustment to customer accounts in the Public Works Department for the month of September.
10. Motion by Rick C., with a second by Joe, to pay the bills that were on the warranty list and any utility bills, bills that will incur a late charge or reimbursements to employees. Five (5) ayes, motion carried.
11. There was one other item of business this month. Debi stated that the Tourism Committee had a meeting to look at a request from the Chamber of Commerce asking for $1200.00 for help with this year’s Fall Follies. The committee recommends that the Chamber of Commerce receive $600.00 towards the Fall Follies this year. The Board was in agreement with the recommendation.
12. Motion by Tony, with a second by Debi, to adjourn the meeting at 8:11 pm. Five (5) ayes, motion carried.
Ladora C. Boyd