Village of Oblong
February 2010 Minutes
The Village of Oblong Board of Trustees met in regular session on Wednesday, February 3rd, 2010, in the Farley Room of the Municipal Building.
Members Mayor Randy Rich, Clerk Ladora Boyd, Trustee Rick Catt, Trustee Rick
Present: Houdasheldt, Trustee Ken Russell, Trustee Tony Madlem, Trustee Debi Wilson and Treasurer Jan Miller.
Absent: Trustee Joe Campanella.
Others Police Chief Chad Pusey, Public Works Superintendent Gary Lanter, Tom
Present: Compton (Daily News), Mark Noonan (Development & Municipal Initiatives) and Jessi Duzan (Oblong Gem).
1. The meeting was called to order at 7:00 pm by Mayor Rich.
2. The Regular Board Meeting minutes of January 6th, 2010, were approved with a motion by Rick C. and a second by Tony. Ayes: Rick C., Rick H., Ken, Tony. Motion carried.
3. There were no additions or deletions to the agenda this month.
4. There were no water bill customers at the meeting this month.
5. Mark Noonan, from DMI, came to the meeting to go over the Redevelopment Plan & Project for Oblong TIF#2. Mark brought several copies of the Redevelopment Plan & Project booklets. He talked about the Eligibility Study requirements that needed to be met. DMI looked at 109 properties of those properties 85% of them are over 35 years old; 77% of the parcels and 39% of the buildings exhibit deterioration; 50% of the parcels demonstrate excessive land coverage; 100% of the Area suffers from inadequate utilities and lack of community planning; also 100% of the undeveloped parcels are adjacent to deteriorated parcels. The Undeveloped Area has grown at a rate less than that of the remainder of the Village for three of the last five years. The Board felt that there needed to be two more businesses added into the TIF boundaries. These businesses are in the second and third blocks of East Main Street.
Randy stated that the Board needed to approve the Oblong TIF #2 Redevelopment Plan and Project and send copies of the Plan to the affected Taxing Districts with the changes to the boundaries that were discussed.
Motion by Tony, with a second by Debi, to approve the Oblong TIF #2 Redevelopment Plan and Project with changes to the TIF #2 boundaries that were discussed. Five ayes, motion carried.
Motion by Rick H., with a second by Tony, to approve sending copies of the Plan to the affected Taxing Districts. Five ayes, motion carried.
Motion by Tony, with a second by Rick C., to adopt Resolution #2010-R-3 “Establishing Wednesday, March 24, 2010, as the Public Hearing Date for Village Board Consideration of the Oblong TIF #2 Redevelopment Plan and Redevelopment Project and Redevelopment Area within the Village of Oblong, Illinois”. Five ayes, motion carried.
There will be a meeting of the Joint Review Board on February 24, at 4 pm in the Activity Room. There will also be a Public Hearing meeting on March 24, at 7 pm for all interested parties.
6. The Board granted the Labor Local #1197 permission to use the 4-way stop on May 1st from 9 am to 12 pm (noon) to collect donations for the TLC of Southern & Central IL, Inc.
7. Motion by Tony, with a second by Rick H., to adopt Resolution #2010-R-2 “A Resolution to Designated February as Spay/Neuter Month”. Ayes: Rick C., Rick H., Ken, Tony. Motion carried.
8. Under Mayor’s Comments:
1. Randy stated that the Antique Tractor & Engine Club would like to use the Park on August 13, 14 and 15 for their annual show. The Board granted the request.
2. Randy stated that there are only three months left of this fiscal year, so the department heads need to start working on their budget for the next fiscal year.
3. Randy stated that he had received a letter and a call from the Crawford County Spay/Neuter Foundation. They are asking for a donation of $500 to help defray the cost of the spaying/neutering. Motion by Rick C., with a second by Debi, to give the Crawford County Spay/Neuter Foundation a donation of $500. Five ayes, motion carried.
4. Randy read a “Thank You” card from Sgt. Dan Cheadle for the bench given to him in memory of his mother.
9. Reports of Committees:
A. Police: Tony stated that the Oblong Police Department had received recognition for the memorial to Chief Jack Fancil, who was killed in the line of duty on June 1st, 1970, from the International Police Association. Chad stated that there needs to be a change in section 12.06.01 of the Police Policy & Procedure Manual. The change to the section reads as follows: When it is determined by a police officer that a vehicle is to be towed for any reason, the officer will document the tow by first obtaining a case number, or using an existing case number that was previously obtained by that same officer or any other officer. The officer will then conduct a thorough vehicle inventory search of the vehicle being towed. The officer will also complete a tow report form, which will reflect items located inside such vehicle. Copies of the tow report form will be given to the tow operator and the person in possession of the vehicle at the time of the tow. The original tow report form will be filled at the Oblong Police Department. If a tow is required at the scene of an automobile accident, and the person(s) involved in the accident makes arrangements for a tow service, and as long as the person(s) involved in the vehicle are still present at the scene of the accident when the vehicle(s) are being towed, a tow report form will not be required. Motion by Tony, with a second by Rick H., to adopt the wording change in section 12.06.01 of the Police Policy & Procedure Manual. Five ayes, motion carried.
Tony read the monthly report for January. Chad stated that there will be some training this month.
B. Building and Park: Debi stated that the lights around the walking path are being worked on by the Public Works Employees. The committee is looking into the possibility of purchasing new light fixtures for next fiscal year’s budgeting.
C. Sidewalks and Lights: Rick H. stated that the application for the new street lights and poles has been sent to IDOT for their approval. Rick stated that once the Village receives the approval, the lights and poles needs to be ordered, if the concrete price is around the $27,000 amount. Rick stated that there needs to be a motion to give Randy and him the authority to go ahead with the ordering. Motion by Rick C., with a second by Debi, to have Randy and Rick H. to go ahead and order the new street lights and poles upon the approval of the application to IDOT. Five ayes, motion carried.
D. Street and Alley: Tony stated that Gary wants permission to attend an Informational/Customer Appreciation Meeting hosted by Ambraw Asphalt on February 9th. The Board granted Gary’s request
E. Water and Sewer: Ken stated that the committee met before the Board meeting to discuss some changes with the tap-on fees to $500 across the board and that the customer will need to pay a permit fee if the tap-on is along Route 33. They also discussed changing the size of the pipes for the Northeast Water loop from 6” to 4” with approval. Ken stated that the Village had received a letter from the Robinson-Palestine Water Commission stating that the water rates are being increased effective on April 20, 2010. The committee feels that the Village should not raise the water rates for the Village’s customer until it becomes necessary to do so.
F. Finance: Rick C. thanked Tony for initialing the bills and adjustment to customer accounts in the Public Works Department for the month of January. Rick C. asked for a volunteer to initial the bills and the adjustment to customer accounts in the Public Works Department for the month of February. Ken volunteered for the month of February. Jan mentioned that she had called Kemper CPA about the audit which will be either the third or fourth week of May.
G. Development: Tony stated that the committee had been working with Mark Noonan, from DMI, on the TIF #2 plan and project. The committee is also working on the annexation of some properties into the Village limits. Randy stated that he has been in contact with the developers. The developers are waiting for the Village to meet the stipulations before setting a start date.
10. Motion by Tony, with a second by Ken, to pay the bills that were on the warranty list and any utility bills, bills that will incur a late charge or reimbursements to employees. Five (5) ayes, motion carried.
11. There were no other items of business this month.
12. Motion by Rick H., with a second by Debi, to adjourn the meeting at 8:08 pm. Five (5) ayes, motion carried.
Ladora C. Boyd