Village of Oblong
January 2010 Minutes
The Village of Oblong Board of Trustees met in regular session on Wednesday, January 6th, 2010, in the Farley Room of the Municipal Building.
Members Present: Mayor Randy Rich, Clerk Ladora Boyd, Trustee Rick Catt, Trustee Joe
Campanella, Trustee Rick Houdasheldt, Trustee Ken Russell, Trustee Tony Madlem, Trustee Debi Wilson and Treasurer Jan Miller.
Others Present:Police Chief Chad Pusey, Public Works Superintendent Gary Lanter, Tom
Compton (Daily News), Dean Myers, Tom Haley, Tim Attaway, Alexis Houser (American Legion District Commander) and Dan Houser (from the American Legion).
1. The meeting was called to order at 7:00 pm by Mayor Rich.
2. The Regular Board Meeting minutes of December 2nd, 2009, with the removal of Ken from the Development Committee, because with Ken on the committee it would make a quorum, approved with a motion by Joe and a second by Tony. Ayes: Joe, Rick H., Ken, Tony, Debi. Motion carried.
3. There was one addition to the agenda this month. Dan and Alexis Houser, from the American Legion, came to the Board meeting to make a few presentations from the American Legion Illinois State Office. Alexis stated that the State Commander, Bill Flannigan, was planning to come and make the presentations, but something came up. The first presentation was to the Village of Oblong for their support of the remembrance of the community’s veterans. The second presentation was to Tim Attaway for allowing the display of crosses on the lawn at the funeral home for the community’s veterans on Veteran’s Day. The third presentation was to Tom Haley for his work on the display of the crosses for each veteran of the community. Tom said that if it was not for the veterans, we would not be doing this. Randy stated that every American should be thankful for our nation’s veterans.
4. There were no water bill customers at the meeting this month.
5. Dean Myers came before the Board to ask permission to use the Oblong Park for a Bluegrass Festival. The dates that he would like to use the park are May 24th thru 30th, and August 23rd thru 29th, of this year. The Board granted his request for the use of the park. Mr. Myers stated that everyone was invited to come out and join in or just sit and listen to the music. The Board let Mr. Myers know that there is to be no alcohol in the park.
There was some discussion about camping fee discounts for groups due events out at the park. It was stated that no group had ever asked for a discount. The consensus is that the camping fee is lower than most of the surrounding campground fees.
6. Under Mayor’s Comments: Randy stated that the Board needed to pass the 2010 Investment Policy. This is an annual requirement for the Village. Motion by Tony, with a second by Rick C., to adopt the 2010 Investment Policy. Ayes: Rick C., Joe, Rick H., Ken, Tony. Motion carried.
7. Reports of Committees:
A. Police: Joe read the year-ending report for 2009. Joe mentioned that Chad had solved three businesses break-ins and there was a press release on this. Joe stated that Chad also has a forfeiture vehicle and will be applying for a title to the vehicle so that it can be sold. Joe stated that Chad had Criminal Patrol training this month on 19th and 20th in Mattoon.
B. Building and Park: Debi stated that she had nothing to report this month.
C. Sidewalks and Lights: Rick H. stated that he had talked to John Stone (Connor & Connor, Inc.) Rick mentioned that the complete specs for the new street lights, in the downtown area, have been received and that John had received a quote from Mr. Biggs in Mattoon. The quote is right at $27,000, which is about $20,000 less than the quote from the company in Missouri which was around $46,000. Rick stated that before having the Board vote to go ahead and place the order, he wants to wait until everything is in writing. He hopes to have it all ready for the next Board meeting (February 3rd) to be voted on.
D. Street and Alley: Tony stated that he had nothing to report this month, except that the street department is ready for the incoming snow.
E. Water and Sewer: Ken stated that Gary wants permission for all the Public Works employees except Dale and Byron to attend the Julie Excavation Safety training on 28th of this month in Olney; and Travis and Gary to attend the annual IRWA Expo Conference on February 17th, 18th and 19th in Effingham. The Board granted the requests by Gary. Ken stated that Gary, Shannon Woodard (Connor & Connor) and himself met with three representatives from EJ Water to go over some concerns that the committee had and to show the plans to EJ. EJ seemed real receptive to the plans. EJ would like to have a list of new costumers that might hook onto Oblong Water. Ken stated that the Village has received the construction permit from Illinois EPA for the water loop project north and east of Oblong. Ken mentioned that he had spoke with Frank Weber, Village Attorney, about some questions Gary had about going ahead and purchasing the equipment and supplies for this project.
F. Finance: Rick C. asked for a volunteer to initial the bills and the adjustment to customer accounts in the Public Works Department for the month of January. Tony volunteered for the month of January. Rick C. thanked Debi for initialing the bills and adjustment to customer accounts in the Public Works Department for the month of December. Rick stated that he had received an e-mail from Jan that there have been some issues come up with the computers in the office. The computers were purchased in March of 2004. John from Kemper Technology gave quotes for two new computers with software for $1,065 each, which is about $15 higher than the price of the existing computers when they were bought. Rick stated that the purchase of new computers was not in the administration budget, but since the issues have come up; he felt that it would probably be a good idea to go ahead and order the computers. Motion by Rick C., with a second by Joe, to purchase two new computers for Jan and Ladora. All ayes, motion carried.
G. Development: Tony stated that the Board needed to pass the inducement resolution. Tony stated that this resolution does not tie the Village to anything. Motion by Tony, with a second by Rick H., to adopt Resolution #2010-R-1 “Inducement Resolution”. Ayes: Rick C., Joe, Rick H., Ken, Tony. Motion carried. Tony mentioned that the committee will be meeting with DMI on January 20th at 5 pm.
8. Motion by Rick H., with a second by Joe, to pay the bills that were on the warranty list and any utility bills, bills that will incur a late charge or reimbursements to employees. All ayes, motion carried.
9. There was one other item of business this month. Gary mentioned that people can call and set out their live Christmas trees for pick-up by the Public Works Department.
10. Motion by Tony, with a second by Rick H., to adjourn the meeting at 7:31 pm. All ayes, motion carried.
Ladora C. Boyd