Village of Oblong
July 7th., 2010 Meeting
The Village of Oblong Board of Trustees met in regular session on Wednesday, July 7th, 2010, in the Farley Room of the Municipal Building.
Members Mayor Randy Rich, Clerk Ladora Boyd, Trustee Rick Catt, Trustee Joe
Present: Campanella, Trustee Ken Russell, Trustee Debi Wilson and Treasurer Jan Miller.
Absent: Trustee Rick Houdasheldt and Trustee Tony Madlem.
Others Police Chief Chad Pusey, Public Works Superintendent Gary Lanter and
Present: Byron Sanders.
1. The meeting was called to order at 7:10 pm by Mayor Rich.
2. The Regular Board Meeting minutes of June 2nd, 2010, were approved with a motion by Rick C. and a second by Joe. Four (4) ayes; motion carried.
3. There was one addition to the agenda this month. Byron came before the Board to ask some questions on behalf of his sister, who has purchased the property at 510 South Wilson Street that the Board has started condemnation processing on. Byron asked if his sister can have a month extension before the Board continued with the condemnation processing. Randy stated that the Board would not stop the process but would drop the process if Byron’s sister has the building torn down before the court condemnation hearing.
4. There were no water bill customers at the meeting this month.
5. Rick C. stated that the Village has received a clean audit from Kemper CPA for the Fiscal Year 2010. Motion by Rick C., with a second by Ken, to accept the audit. Four (4) ayes, motion carried.
6. Gary came before the Board to inform them that the Oblong Chamber of
Commerce is planning a 5K run during the Fall Follies. The possible route for the 5K run will start at the Collings Shelter at the Park and head west on Wisconsin Street to North Adams then turn south to Ohio Street then turn east towards the Oblong Park and then around the lake to the start. The race will start at 8 am and take approximately an hour.
7. Motion by Joe, with a second by Debi, to adopt Ordinance #2010-O-533 “An Ordinance to Amend Chapter 1, Administration, Division IV—General Penalty, Section 1-1-20 of the Revised Code of Ordinances of Oblong, Illinios”. Four (4) ayes; motion carried.
8. Randy stated that condemnation procedure is moving forward and staying
9. Under Mayor’s Comments:
1. Randy stated that he had received an e-mail from the chamber that the Oblong Gem is possibly going to close.
2. Randy stated that there is a problem with one of the gas stations on how
they are running the purchases through. Randy stated that he will talk to the
owners and inform them that if the problem is not resulted then the Village
will no longer purchase gas from them with Board approval.
10. Reports of Committees:
A. Police: Joe read the monthly report for June. Joe stated that the committee had a meeting on June 24th. In this meeting the committee interviewed and hired two new part-time patrol officers (Gabe Lowrance and Keith Rich). Joe stated that Chad will be having range qualification at the Robinson Range on July 13th. Joe stated that there are 13 or 14 neighborhood vehicle stickers that have been purchased. Chad stated that there needs to be some signage put up about the neighborhood vehicles that is stated in the state statues. It was decided to post the signs at each entrance into the Village with the correct wordage and reference to the ordinance number. Joe stated that the Village has received two new tasers through a grant application over a year ago. Joe also stated that Chad has applied for a grant to purchase new computers.
B. Building and Park: Debi stated that she did not know of anything that needed to be reported this month. Randy stated that Fred Biggs, who the Village has purchased the new street lights from, has a light fixture that may work for the walking path at the Park. Randy stated that when the sample fixture comes in maybe the committee could meet at the park and see if it will work. Randy also stated that he was approach by a union electrician that stated he and some of his buddies might be willing to help with the installation of the new fixtures for the pathway when the Village decides and purchases them.
C. Sidewalks and Lights: Randy stated that the light fixtures for the new street light will possibly be in this week or next week. He stated that the company will not give Mr. Biggs a firm delivery date. Randy stated that the Village will still possibly need to purchase two more light poles.
D. Street and Alley: Gary stated that there was no report for this month.
E. Water and Sewer: Ken stated that the work on the Northeast Water Loop Project is about done and once everyone signs off on the project then the Village can start mail out letters to potential water customers with estimates on the cost to hook-up to the water line. Ken also stated that the guys have been working on some other projects as well. Gary stated that he and the guys will be working on the new sewer line for the Dollar General Store tomorrow weather permitting.
F. Finance: Rick C. stated that the Committee met with Jody Truitt, from Kemper CPA, before the Board meeting to go over the audit.
G. Development: There was no report this month.
11. Motion by Rick C., with a second by Joe, to pay the bills that were on
warranty list and any utility bills, bills that will incur a late charge or reimbursements to employees. Four (4) ayes, motion carried.
12. There were two other items of business this month.
1. Randy stated that the Village had received a “Thank You” card from the family of “Pod” Lorance.
2. Randy stated that Chad had brought to his attention that the Village needs to adopt a “Waiver and Indemnification Agreement” for when the Village deals with the people working off their community service time. Motion by Joe, with a second by Debi, to adopt the “Waiver and Indemnification Agreement”. Four (4) ayes, motion carried.
13. Motion by Rick C., with a second by Debi, to adjourn the meeting at 7:36
Four (4) ayes, motion carried.
Ladora C. Boyd